40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#871 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:10 am I recall when I saw it first time round I was less than impressed as there was no Ferrari and to my young eyes the Laurel and Hardy car he got instead looked feeble in comparison and I didn't appreciate the humour and just saw it as pointless goofiness.
I get exactly what you're saying. When I was a kid I was all about flashy new cars. And the sportier, the better! '57 Chevy? Who cares? :roll:

Of course nowadays it's just the opposite. I can't even keep track of new cars coming on the market. Nor do I care. But I love old classic automobiles. Heck, they don't even have to be classic. If I see a 1986 Mazda 626 on the road I get a flood of nostalgia because I used to see them everywhere in the early 90s. I guess I'm very nostalgic for older cars that I don't see anymore. I could care less about the newest Ferrari or Tesla but would give anything to sit inside a 1980 Ferrari 308.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#872 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:49 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:08 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:46 pm I think this 4-episode stretch of "Past Tense", "Black on White", "Flashback" and "Foiled Again" are the absolute best stretch of consecutive episodes in the entire series! These 4 would make my top 5 for this season, with #1 of course being "Did You See the Sunrise?"

Anyone agree? Very strong 4 episodes in a row.
But... you... haven't... watched... the... entire... series... yet... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I'm willing to make a bet, even without seeing the rest of the series, that this is the finest 4-episode stretch in the series! :D Somehow I doubt I would lose this bet.
I don’t care much for Past Tense at all so there’s no way it would be on my list of best four in a row. I’d put Mr. White Death far ahead of it which could still make for a good four in a row, but Foiled Again is not the best either.

I think I’d put the first four episodes of seasons two, three, and five ahead of them. The first six episodes of the first season are only let down by Thank Heavens…

Fleet Admiral

#873 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:42 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:49 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:08 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:46 pm I think this 4-episode stretch of "Past Tense", "Black on White", "Flashback" and "Foiled Again" are the absolute best stretch of consecutive episodes in the entire series! These 4 would make my top 5 for this season, with #1 of course being "Did You See the Sunrise?"

Anyone agree? Very strong 4 episodes in a row.
But... you... haven't... watched... the... entire... series... yet... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I'm willing to make a bet, even without seeing the rest of the series, that this is the finest 4-episode stretch in the series! :D Somehow I doubt I would lose this bet.
I don’t care much for Past Tense at all so there’s no way it would be on my list of best four in a row. I’d put Mr. White Death far ahead of it which could still make for a good four in a row, but Foiled Again is not the best either.

I think I’d put the first four episodes of seasons two, three, and five ahead of them. The first six episodes of the first season are only let down by Thank Heavens…
I'm surprised you're not a big fan of both "Past Tense" and "Foiled Again" as they are quite Higgins-centric, especially the latter. And in the former he basically keeps T.C. alive by prattling on and on about his war adventures. Which is always a treat! :) Plus I really love the twist about who the guy was in the car that blew up right outside of Robin's Nest and how TM immediately realizes what's going on and who really broke out of jail and kidnapped TC and Higgy. Great stuff! And "Foiled Again" might just be my favorite of the fab four. Higgy being bullied by Troubshaw (excellently played by Paxton Whitehead) is a wonderful piece of storytelling and is one of the best personal stories of Higgins. The cur deserved what he got. Dana Wynter is also very good as the woman whom Higgy loved. The two of them are wonderful together.

As for season 1 there is a strong 3-episode run at the start with "No Need to Know", "Skin Deep", and "Never Again... Never Again". Excellent episodes!

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#874 Post by Mark de Croix »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:43 pm Image

November 4th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Flashback
Episode Number: 47
Season Number: 3.7
Air Date: 11/4/1982

Magnum dreams he's in 1936 - populated with versions of his friends - where he's working for a young woman whose father, a union leader, has been accused of the murder of a construction magnate.

Guest Stars: Anne Lockhart (Brenda McCutchen), Irene Yah-Ling Sun (Marissa), Rosemary Murphy (Marion Danforth), Lee Patterson (Drew Danforth), Robin Strand (Young Drew Danforth), Michael Hasegawa (Ito), Earll Kingston (Maitre'd)
My question was answered by this episode! What's with the crazy hat? (TM's cap in his 1936 regalia.) I didn't realize the time era when I first saw the photo. But of course it represents how baseball hats might have been way back then.

How stunning a clothes horse Selleck is!!! In this episode in particular some of his fashion is so superb but accentuated by his good looks and so on. You know, even in real life he doesn't let it go to his head. Surely TM's character benefits and is part of the show's allure for people. I understand Selleck had full reign with the TM character, but I wonder how much of the pleasing characteristics of TM were a natural product of Selleck's own doing. A lot I'm sure but it would be interesting to see the actual pre-production script for the vision held by the show's creators.

This episode is another triumph by the scriptwriter(s). I enjoyed the travel back in time. Despite the fantasy I thought it held up well. Speaking of fantasy, @308GUY shared with us on another thread this video of the creator speaking about the character Mac:
http://youtu.be/5HsmOUMARVY?t=210
In it Donald Bellisario shares a dilemma he had trying to allow actor McKay (character Mac) to return to the MPI show. McKay wanted to continue being Mac but Bellisario replied he couldn't return as Mac, say, through a sunburst from the sky or something. That would strain believablility. As many fans probably know, McKay does return but not as Mac.

I bring it up because believeability is an issue recognized by the creator(s). How close does Flashback come to violating it? How often does MPI use fantasy? Probably not often as MPI is not considered in the SF genre. Fantasy can sometimes be abused by scriptwriters by escaping their job to produce logical or realistic stories. Not that this happens with MPI as far as I know, but genre restrictions are real. Question about the use of fantasy is not a simple matter. It would be interesting to hear how MPI so consistently had well developed scripts (as far as I know!).

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#875 Post by charybdis1966 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:56 pm ...But I love old classic automobiles. Heck, they don't even have to be classic. If I see a 1986 Mazda 626 on the road I get a flood of nostalgia because I used to see them everywhere in the early 90s....
I feel the same way about the Saab 900's with the whale fin tail, a car of individualistic character.

Fleet Admiral

#876 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:41 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:56 pm ...But I love old classic automobiles. Heck, they don't even have to be classic. If I see a 1986 Mazda 626 on the road I get a flood of nostalgia because I used to see them everywhere in the early 90s....
I feel the same way about the Saab 900's with the whale fin tail, a car of individualistic character.
This tail?

I always liked both Saabs and Volvos.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#877 Post by charybdis1966 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 pm This tail?

Yes, like that Ivan, although the one on the Carlsson is even bigger (I think) and the one I remember most vividly.

I'd driven Saabs for 20 years till a few years ago because they'd been defunct almost a decade by then and the ageing design was showing.

Fleet Admiral

#878 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:54 pm

Yes, like that Ivan, although the one on the Carlsson is even bigger (I think) and the one I remember most vividly.

I'd driven Saabs for 20 years till a few years ago because they'd been defunct almost a decade by then and the ageing design was showing.
Gotcha. Yep the even bigger spoiler. Like a dish. :lol: I remember those.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#879 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:54 pm

I remember a college buddy’s older brother had a turbo version. It had the ignition key in the center console if I remember correctly. That’s about all I remember about it other than it was black.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#880 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:33 pm I remember a college buddy’s older brother had a turbo version. It had the ignition key in the center console if I remember correctly. That’s about all I remember about it other than it was black.
That's right, just behind the handbrake; it was so that in the event of a front end collision the key wouldn't ram into the drivers legs as a steering column mounted ignition would and as a security measure (you had to be in reverse before you could take the key out so it would supposedly prevent the car being towed away).

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#881 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:41 am
This tail?

Whenever I hear someone mention Volvo, I think of a certain part of a female body.

Maybe because...

Fleet Admiral

#882 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:05 pm That's right, just behind the handbrake; it was so that in the event of a front end collision the key wouldn't ram into the drivers legs as a steering column mounted ignition would
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. :? The key, which is inside the ignition inside the steering column, would ram into a driver's legs during an accident? How? And if so, wouldn't this be the case with just about every car back in the day, since they all had ignition inside the steering column?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#883 Post by charybdis1966 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:30 pm
charybdis1966 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:05 pm That's right, just behind the handbrake; it was so that in the event of a front end collision the key wouldn't ram into the drivers legs as a steering column mounted ignition would
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. :? The key, which is inside the ignition inside the steering column, would ram into a driver's legs during an accident? How? And if so, wouldn't this be the case with just about every car back in the day, since they all had ignition inside the steering column?
Yes, you have it right - the Saab engineers noticed that in front end collisions where the steering column got pushed into the car a key protruding from the steering column caused extra damage to the right knee.

Almost every car make has the key in the steering column so it was an example of Saab trying to be different and safer. I don't have the stats so I don't know how much difference that made.

It took me a while, when I replaced my Saab, to not look down behind the handbrake to put the key in as it was a habit for over two decades.

Fleet Admiral

#884 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:50 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:30 pm
Yes, you have it right - the Saab engineers noticed that in front end collisions where the steering column got pushed into the car a key protruding from the steering column caused extra damage to the right knee.

Almost every car make has the key in the steering column so it was an example of Saab trying to be different and safer. I don't have the stats so I don't know how much difference that made.

It took me a while, when I replaced my Saab, to not look down behind the handbrake to put the key in as it was a habit for over two decades.
I see, so Saab was trying to be different and safer (maybe?). I'd be curious to see the statistics for car accident injuries caused by the key. Of all things... I mean if it's a serious crash then I would think the key would be the least of my worries. But it would have to be a pretty serious crash, otherwise the key shouldn't pose too much of a threat.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#885 Post by charybdis1966 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:08 pm I see, so Saab was trying to be different and safer (maybe?). I'd be curious to see the statistics for car accident injuries caused by the key. Of all things... I mean if it's a serious crash then I would think the key would be the least of my worries. But it would have to be a pretty serious crash, otherwise the key shouldn't pose too much of a threat.
It would be interesting to know how much difference was made to injuries from the protruding key/key cylinder although for me I Iiked the fact I didn't have to crane my neck around the steering wheel to see where the key slot was whenever I started up.

Saab did like to be different though that's for sure; it explained why they historically had such brand loyalty, although I believe that loyalty did taper off a bit after the GM take over in the '90s.