The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2926 Post by Pahonu »

robicurp wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:22 pm Just found a recent video of the nearly completed Obama estate at Pahonu. For me, the best thing about the video are some views of the restored Magnum Guest house/boat house. I'm happy to see it was preserved relatively unchanged from the outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqemKGPQOdE
Thank you!

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#2927 Post by Aloha Friday »

The guesthouse looks good...would be cool if they could redo the interior to reflect the TV show...like how HGTV did the Brady Bunch house. It was completely done to look like the show set...down to the furniture, decor and fixtures.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#2928 Post by robicurp »

That would be spectacular! I guess we’ll never know though.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2929 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

robicurp wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:22 pm Just found a recent video of the nearly completed Obama estate at Pahonu. For me, the best thing about the video are some views of the restored Magnum Guest house/boat house. I'm happy to see it was preserved relatively unchanged from the outside.
I still have no idea what this new "estate" is supposed to be. It looks like a bunch of bungalows. Nothing more. Really a step down from the actual ESTATE that was there. Definitely not a "mansion" as the caption in the video says. :lol:

So what would you call these things? Separate living quarters? Separate houses? Yet they're all owned by the same owner - Obama. Didn't I read these would be separate residences or something like that? Wouldn't that imply multiple owners/dwellers?

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#2930 Post by robicurp »

Obama and Nesbit split the estate into 2 separate lots. Two new residences were built. The gate house and boat house were preserved.

Fleet Admiral

#2931 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

robicurp wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:08 am Obama and Nesbit split the estate into 2 separate lots. Two new residences were built. The gate house and boat house were preserved.
So one residence will be for Nesbit and one for Obama? It's hard to tell in that video where one residence ends and the other begins. Just looks like a long row of bungalows.

Pahonu

#2932 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:56 am
I still have no idea what this new "estate" is supposed to be. It looks like a bunch of bungalows. Nothing more. Really a step down from the actual ESTATE that was there. Definitely not a "mansion" as the caption in the video says. :lol:

So what would you call these things? Separate living quarters? Separate houses? Yet they're all owned by the same owner - Obama. Didn't I read these would be separate residences or something like that? Wouldn't that imply multiple owners/dwellers?
In addition to the lot being subdivided into two, the homes are quite large. They cover much of the property and now also include a pool. The link below show just how large they are, the east home being larger, compared to the original.

https://ibb.co/ZGm4fqd

The entrance gate has been moved to the middle of the property with driveways to either side. The left driveway ends near the old gatehouse, the right at a new garage. You can see they are set back further, according to current code, but appear to cover an even larger footprint than the old main house. They also appear to have decks that connect outbuildings, rather than being a single large structure. This probably adds to your perception of it not being a mansion. The total square footage is larger, I believe, with far less dedicated to servant space I’m sure. It’s just not one big “main house” as it was.

Fleet Admiral

#2933 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:05 pm

In addition to the lot being subdivided into two, the homes are quite large. They cover much of the property and now also include a pool. The link below show just how large they are, the east home being larger, compared to the original.

The entrance gate has been moved to the middle of the property with driveways to either side. The left driveway ends near the old gatehouse, the right at a new garage. You can see they are set back further, according to current code, but appear to cover an even larger footprint than the old main house. They also appear to have decks that connect outbuildings, rather than being a single large structure. This probably adds to your perception of it not being a mansion. The total square footage is larger, I believe, with far less dedicated to servant space I’m sure. It’s just not one big “main house” as it was.
I see. Thanks for that info. I guess we need some drone footage to see what it looks like in the back. All we see is the front from water level. Still, I'm unimpressed by these low "structures" they call a home.

Pahonu

#2934 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:42 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:05 pm

I see. Thanks for that info. I guess we need some drone footage to see what it looks like in the back. All we see is the front from water level. Still, I'm unimpressed by these low "structures" they call a home.
No problem. Drone footage would be great!

I’m not a fan of contemporary architecture myself, but they do allow for more glass area and better living arrangements than older traditional styles. While I don’t prefer the exterior look as compared to my favorite Spanish Colonial Revival, I must admit that the new homes almost certainly have much better views from most rooms. The decks do the same, creating a more elevated outdoor living space and better views than terraces at grade. Having outbuildings to divide up the spaces, rather than one larger structure, also allows for better views from rooms via angled sight lines. None of this even addresses the more modern design for our style of living today as opposed to 90+ years ago with servants.

The bottom line: living INSIDE the homes will be dramatically improved for our more modern lifestyles, while looking at the OUTSIDE of the homes may be less desirable to some of our personal tastes. I wouldn’t turn down living there!

Fleet Admiral

#2935 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:17 pm I wouldn’t turn down living there!
Well come to think of it, neither would I. :lol:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2936 Post by ENSHealy »

I was biking on Mariners Trail in Manitowoc, WI last week, and spotted this boat from the trail.

Perhaps a Magnum fan? Or just someone who knows "honu" means turtle. But somewhat odd for a Milwaukee-based boat, given that "honu" is Hawaiian, right? Or any boat, for that matter, considering what "to turn turtle" means for a boat.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2937 Post by Sam »

ENSHealy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:53 pm I was biking on Mariners Trail in Manitowoc, WI last week, and spotted this boat from the trail.

Perhaps a Magnum fan? Or just someone who knows "honu" means turtle. But somewhat odd for a Milwaukee-based boat, given that "honu" is Hawaiian, right? Or any boat, for that matter, considering what "to turn turtle" means for a boat.
Hi ENSHealy...
It looks like it is for sale... more photos

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/197 ... 6-8252656/

Pahonu

#2938 Post by Pahonu »

ENSHealy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:53 pm I was biking on Mariners Trail in Manitowoc, WI last week, and spotted this boat from the trail.

Honu is indeed turtle in Hawaiian, and that Lake Michigan water seems a little cold for sea turtles! :lol: The water in Southern California is even too cold, with one exception. The power generating plant where I’m at in Long Beach is cooled by the San Gabriel River, and somehow a group of sea turtles made their way to the warmer waters of the river mouth nearby and have lived there for a couple of decades. They’re locally famous. :D

Regarding the name, perhaps the skipper is a fan of the Islands or once lived there. I agree, it’s funny because the last thing you would want to do in a boat is turn turtle. Looks like it’s getting some bottom paint.

CRUMPZILLA
Ensign

#2939 Post by CRUMPZILLA »

HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES ON THIS THREAD? SUPER LOST LOL

CRUMPZILLA
Ensign

Re:

#2940 Post by CRUMPZILLA »

golfmobile wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:42 am Gawd! We need to get a life -- if we're watching the status over a two-year period of wire mesh on windows of a nearly-falling-down building that none of us own or have an equitable interest in!

:lol: :lol:

golf

And I'm as guilty as anyone . . . so please don't take offense!
LOL