40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#646 Post by T.Q. »

February 25th, 1982

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Double Jeopardy
Season 2, episode 18

With Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka), Frank Atienza (Tim), Dana Wynter (Olivia Ross), Kathleen Nolan (Myrt Callahan), Larry Pennell (Jack Martin), Barry Nelson (William B. Knox), Bart Peaslee (First A.D.), James McInerny (Carl), Madeline Press (Second A.D.), Jon Sakata (Sushi Brother), Cynthia Ream (Nurse).

Magnum returns from California and finds a Hollywood crew on the estate filming a movie based on a Robin Masters' novel. When the star's double is injured, Magnum is hired as his replacement.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#647 Post by Styles Bitchley »

You know, I was wondering to myself why I've only seen this episode a handful of times. Upon taking in a good viewing this evening, it's now clear to me: it's super boring. So many slow scenes with not much happening. Tanaka has some good screen time and there's an seldom seen shot of the front gate and gatehouse at the beginning. Some other good shots of the estate too. Also noticed that Magnum wears those god awful jeans with high pockets for much of this episode. Such a bad look. The Alec Baldwin prop gun accident certainly makes one think a little harder about this episode, eh?

Overall, Double Jeopardy has got to be one of the worst of the season.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#648 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this one a few weeks back and the Alec Baldwin incident springs to mind too as well as how dull the main story was.
Sure, there were plenty of decent comedy moments with TM getting beaten up and his unnatural walk when he was being filmed on the beach.
Dana Wynter came across as a tad wooden and slightly unlikeable (even before she was revealed as the killer).
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#649 Post by T.Q. »

The "thing" (whatever it was) between Magnum and Olivia Ross (the acting/kissing scene) always creeped me out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#650 Post by Mark de Croix »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:00 pm The "thing" (whatever it was) between Magnum and Olivia Ross (the acting/kissing scene) always creeped me out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Creeped me out too. But did you notice her in an earlier photo--she was really hot.
That kissing scene, interestingly, was the only thing I didn't like. In fact TQ when I read your earlier post, it surprised me because I like this episode a lot, surely a lot more than last week's Texas Lightning. TS to me in Double Jeopardy expresses emotional nuances so well. He seems so natural. I liked the plot, dramatic ending, surely the dialog. But still here are two beguiling moments:

:twisted: 1 TM's Reticence
In the jail cell Olivia says, "Tom, help me," to which TM only looks at her without a word. BUT he then scorches Tanaka for arresting her. She's in jail! Surely TM doesn't suspect her yet; otherwise he wouldn't have gotten so hot with Tanaka.

Bonus Geek Point :geek: Here TM is called, "Tom," but I didn't include this in my thread about this very thing. She demonstrates what Americans customarily do in this instance.

:twisted: 2 Tanaka's cap
Nearly always on TV shows PIs and police are adversaries. What's with Tanaka wearing the Detroit cap? Obviously his character does so in connection with TM.

Styles Bitchley

#651 Post by Styles Bitchley »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:00 pm The "thing" (whatever it was) between Magnum and Olivia Ross (the acting/kissing scene) always creeped me out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah. She reminded me way too much of my grandmother! Weird. They seemed to like pairing Magnum with “mature” women. I wonder if Selleck had anything to say about it? After all, it doesn’t seem like that’s his “type” given who he eventually goes for in real life.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#652 Post by T.Q. »

Mark de Croix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:39 am did you notice her in an earlier photo--she was really hot.
Indeed. :higgins:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#653 Post by ENSHealy »

I hate to be "that guy" who's always pointing out plot holes, but it's always bugged me how the police release Olivia Ross after the prop gun is found in the ice tray. How many people saw her carry the gun to her trailer when her "body mic slipped" (after all, she carries it quite openly/obviously, held against the outside of her purse, like the director is screaming "don't miss that she's carrying the gun, you'll need that info later") then return and hand the gun to Jack? Dozens, at least. But they find the prop gun and everyone just accepts the premise that Jack switched it out when he was having his makeup retouched. It seems to me someone would have thought...wait maybe we outta think this through a little more before we release her? But yes, I know, then you don't have her great speech outside the jail about the infringing, meddling press, and the awesome ending with Tanaka appearing in the hospital room like a vampire re-assembling himself from smoke. So I guess I'll shut up now. But I retain my rights to future curmudgeonly commentary.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Styles Bitchley

#654 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I never noticed her walking with the gun!

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#655 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:39 am
Creeped me out too. But did you notice her in an earlier photo--she was really hot.
That kissing scene, interestingly, was the only thing I didn't like. In fact TQ when I read your earlier post, it surprised me because I like this episode a lot, surely a lot more than last week's Texas Lightning. TS to me in Double Jeopardy expresses emotional nuances so well. He seems so natural. I liked the plot, dramatic ending, surely the dialog. But still here are two beguiling moments:

:twisted: 1 TM's Reticence
In the jail cell Olivia says, "Tom, help me," to which TM only looks at her without a word. BUT he then scorches Tanaka for arresting her. She's in jail! Surely TM doesn't suspect her yet; otherwise he wouldn't have gotten so hot with Tanaka.

Bonus Geek Point :geek: Here TM is called, "Tom," but I didn't include this in my thread about this very thing. She demonstrates what Americans customarily do in this instance.

:twisted: 2 Tanaka's cap
Nearly always on TV shows PIs and police are adversaries. What's with Tanaka wearing the Detroit cap? Obviously his character does so in connection with TM.
I believe Tanaka “acquisitioned” TM’s Tigers cap in his debut in Try to Remember.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#656 Post by Mark de Croix »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:32 pm
Mark de Croix wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:39 am did you notice her in an earlier photo--she was really hot.
Indeed. :higgins:

WOW! TQ, youv got good taste.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#657 Post by Mark de Croix »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 pm
Tanaka's cap
I believe Tanaka “acquisitioned” TM’s Tigers cap in his debut in Try to Remember.
[/quote]

Will we be seeing Tanaka donning the cap again in the PMI series? If so, any connection or reason found?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#658 Post by Pahonu »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:48 am
Pahonu wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 pm
Tanaka's cap
Will we be seeing Tanaka donning the cap again in the PMI series? If so, any connection or reason found?
[/quote]

I don’t recall if he wears it again. I mostly picture him in the fishing cap. He is a baseball fan in general though, and talked to Magnum about it in Try to Remember, particularly about a potential trade involving the Tigers. I think it was a way to connect initially, but a topic they both enjoyed discussing thereafter. Magnum has some of these baseball conversations with other characters in the series, such as the Jororo Prince Danny and Johnny Wells in Limited Engagement. I never thought much about it because I have a few friends that when I see them we sometimes have a little baseball small talk also. Of course, baseball and the Tigers cap Tanaka got from Magnum plays prominently in the end of the season 8 episode Tigers Fan. I don’t want to give anything away if you haven’t seen it.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#659 Post by T.Q. »

March 4th, 1982

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
The Last Page
Season 2, episode 19

With Robert F. Lyons (Taylor Hurst), Joanna Kerns (Mary Kanfer), James Edgecomb (Ed Kanfer), Kam Fong (Kam Chung), Sonia Nilsen (Linda Greer), Tommy Fujiwara (Hiramoto), Linda Watson (Celeste Cole), West Hogan (Donny Kanfer), Elizabeth Smith (Landlady), Francine Van Den Bergh (Inger), Dave Kimura (Yo Yo).

A Vietnam veteran from Seattle hires Magnum to find his girlfriend who came to Hawaii and then disappeared -- but he has an ulterior motive as well.

Styles Bitchley

#660 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks TQ!

- J.Q.H.