Most watched episodes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SeamanWolfe
Commander

Most watched episodes

#1 Post by SeamanWolfe »

This came up in another forum but which episodes have you watched the most?
For me
1) home from the sea
2) limbo
3) did you see the sunrise?
4) transitions
5) memories are forever
6) mac's back
7) resolutions
8) infinity and jelly donuts
9) paper war
10) operation silent night

Most of these I had on VHS growing up and would go back to them.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Most watched episodes

#2 Post by Pahonu »

For me it’s the pilot, hands down. I don’t think I could rank the others but they would likely all come from the first two seasons. China Doll, No Need to Know, Lest We Forget, and J Digger Doyle would be among them. I still find myself stopping to watch if I happen upon them.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Two Birds of a Feather, of course!

Okay, but for real I’m probably most in line with Pahonu. Pilot, China Doll, Home From the Sea...
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#4 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:17 am Two Birds of a Feather, of course!

Okay, but for real I’m probably most in line with Pahonu. Pilot, China Doll, Home From the Sea...
What about Kiss of the Sabre! :lol:

I would add Italian Ice and Dead Man’s Channel to my list.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#5 Post by 80s Big Hair »

For me I always go back to "Laura" (the one with Frank Sinatra). It starts out dark, then has some light moments, then goes completely dark. I ask you Magnum experts if it is true that it is the only episode that never went into reruns as I read that somewhere. If true, I can see why as it was messed up for that era. Also of note, I made a video out of when Sinatra goes on a rampage. It was promptly (by that I mean instantly after I made it) taken down by YouTube (Google). That I assume is because it had the Genesis song in it for more than 15 seconds.

"Paper War" mentioned above is another episode that I enjoy visiting frequently. The case that Magnum is on is secondary and makes little sense. The main plot is all about Magnum v. Higgins. Towards the end they have a frank discussion and it is clear that both value their friendship. It ends with Higgins getting the last laugh.

"Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" also mentioned above is an episode(s) that I return to, mainly for the opening scene.

In "Did You See the Sun Rise" I go back to for the later scenes. Sometimes I watch the entire episode(s). While I find a lot of the early stuff annoying, it finishes in an amazing way.

"Legacy From a Friend" and "A.A.P.I" I often go back to because the Tracey Spencer character I find really amusing. It does not hurt that I found her attractive as a child either.

There are several other episodes I could list but I must sleep now.

Styles Bitchley

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yes! Dead Man’s Channel is one I return to often. Thanks for the reminder. I also think I’ve seen Death and Taxes more times than most.

With regard to Laura, I think I’ve seen it only once. But I’d like to revisit it. Many of the later episodes I only saw for the first time after the DVDs were released. I don’t recall seeing Laura in reruns so you may be correct. It may have gone the way of that Too Close for Comfort episode when Monroe is kidnapped and raped by two women!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#7 Post by Pahonu »

I recall seeing Laura more than once in syndication so I imagine those deals were unique to each market. In the LA area MPI was syndicated while the series was still in production and was very popular. I recall reading in the trades that the series was the most lucrative syndication of any series in the country up to that point. I’m referring to the mid 80’s to early 90’s.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#8 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Agree - I have definitely seen Laura in syndication. Cannot remember if the genesis song was still included in the more recent rebroadcasts.

Recently strike tv included it in a famous guess stars marathon (at a minimum it was in the commercial). I did not get to watch but I think the episodes were Ted Danson, Angela Lansbury, and Sinatra. I can't remember if there was a fouth (I would guess carol Burnett)

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#9 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant to say is that I read somewhere that "Laura" was the only episode that CBS did not show in reruns. I did not mean to include syndication. Also do modern networks still do the "rerun" thing when the season is over? Do they just not air the show until the next season starts? It is kind of shocking how little I know about modern TV. If so, when did they stop? Reruns do not make sense to me now that people can pretty much watch whatever was aired before whenever they want. I suppose they would still show reruns if they have nothing else to air.

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:38 pm Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant to say is that I read somewhere that "Laura" was the only episode that CBS did not show in reruns. I did not mean to include syndication. Also do modern networks still do the "rerun" thing when the season is over? Do they just not air the show until the next season starts? It is kind of shocking how little I know about modern TV. If so, when did they stop? Reruns do not make sense to me now that people can pretty much watch whatever was aired before whenever they want. I suppose they would still show reruns if they have nothing else to air.
I still watch some network television but it’s just a few comedies really. The current pattern seems to be the airing of several episodes in the fall, then rerunning them during a winter break, then airing new episodes in the new year, and ultimately rerunning those. The 22 episode season standard begun in the 60’s is long gone, though some still do it. It was once 26, with an original run through and rerun.

The first series I recall bucking the 22 episode standard of several decades, was Moonlighting. That said, TV was filmed at break-neck pace in those decades, and the quality suffered for it. The actors as well. It’s the reason Selleck quit after season seven when cancellation wasn’t imminent. Spending 9 months of 14 hour days is brutal for an actor in a non-ensemble show. He only agreed to another half season for the crew. James Garner literally had his doctors tell him to stop part way through the sixth season of The Rockford Files because of his physical health.

I was a lowly production assistant in the early 90’s with no real responsibilities and after two years of routine 10-12 hour days, I was done. I can honestly say that in those two years we never had an eight hour day, not once. We surpassed 12 hours on many days. The creativity of writers and art directors, etc… in preproduction isn’t as rigidly mechanical as production. Like wise, scoring and editing, etc… in postproduction. They certainly have time constraints but they are typically happening with only a few individuals. The actual production days brings together many dozens, sometimes more than a hundred, people and no one goes home until that day’s script pages are complete.

There’s a very methodical process involved in a day’s shooting schedule and most of the creative decisions aren’t made then. There’s also tedium when a delay arises in hour ten, for example. I recall one day while shooting outdoors at a beach location when a series of propeller planes pulling signage went over repeatedly for almost an hour. The sound recorder had to cut multiple takes and it got old. A completely smooth day as planned is rare. Selleck and Garner were also deeply involved in pre and post production work adding to their already long production schedules. TV seems very glamorous to many, but it can be a real grind that most don’t see or understand.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by eagle »

For me, it's definitely the pilot and J Digger Doyle. At Christmas I try to watch Operation: Silent Night. Other than that, I just go through the series in order.

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the reminder, eagle! Operation Silent Night gets at least an annual viewing at Chez Bitchley.

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:19 pm Too Close for Comfort episode when Monroe is kidnapped and raped by two women!
:lol: :lol: That's just too funny!

Somehow I can see something like this happening to Monroe. Only Monroe. :D

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#14 Post by ConchRepublican »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:00 am This came up in another forum but which episodes have you watched the most?
For me
1) home from the sea
2) limbo
3) did you see the sunrise?
4) transitions
5) memories are forever
6) mac's back
7) resolutions
8) infinity and jelly donuts
9) paper war
10) operation silent night

Most of these I had on VHS growing up and would go back to them.
First 4 are certain, after that it's difficult to quantify . . .

1) Limbo
2) Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii
3) China Doll
4) J. Digger Doyle

5) No Need to Know
6) Did You See the Sunrise?
7) Lest We Forget
8) The Jororo Kill
9) Black on White
10) Paper War

But Death and Taxes, Unfinished Business, Way of the Stalking Horse, Home From the Sea, Memories Are Forever and Little Girl Who all deserve mention.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#15 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I usually watch them in order three or four episodes a week then once I finish the series I just start it over. That being said there are a few I skip, mainly "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" and "Basket Case". If I "go a'roving" for an episode I tend to like J. Digger, Letter to a Duchess, Case of the Red Faced Thespian, and Italian Ice. I also really enjoy the creepy episodes like "Fragments", "Rapture", and "Death and Taxes". And certain episodes have favorite scenes I'll watch just for them like the ending to "Little Games" with Magnum ordering a steak and scotch.
That reminds me of the time....