What to watch next

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: What to watch next

#16 Post by 308GUY »

My own father was in WWII....I got drafted in '69 but never made it to the jungle. I had friends who did.

This book was a very good read for me.....I recommend it for further insights, as it does not revolve around what can be shown on screen, and is the recounting by someone who was there.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/19-min ... 1128508816

HAGO! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by To The Regiment »

308GUY wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:07 am My own father was in WWII....I got drafted in '69 but never made it to the jungle. I had friends who did.

This book was a very good read for me.....I recommend it for further insights, as it does not revolve around what can be shown on screen, and is the recounting by someone who was there.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/19-min ... 1128508816

Thank you for the recommendation, 308GUY, and thank you for serving. My dad always said the helicopter pilots and crews in Vietnam were heroes and half crazy to attempt some of the missions they did. A toast to all those guys.

Best,
To The Regiment

My Little Voice
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#18 Post by My Little Voice »

I have the US DVD set of Tour of Duty and it is a bummer that most of the original music isn't in the DVD. You can really tell in some scenes where that extra emotional punch is lacking. Also, picture quality is very poor in some of the episodes (Season 1 of Magnum PI is significantly better picture quality and it was filmed 7 years earlier). Season 1 is very enjoyable, but it gets a little heavy handed by the last season.

I agree with the suggestion of Burn Notice as a more modern binge option. Each episode follows a familiar arch (one "client" story line that is resolved within the episode and the season's story line gets a bit of time too). I'd start with Season 1 episode 5 if you want to test the waters. It's a strong episode and a good representation of what makes the show enjoyable. It's available on Amazon Prime streaming.

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts
Ensign

#19 Post by Infinite Jelly Doughnuts »

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments.

I should have been clearer: yes I was asking suggestions for similar shows both in style and substance. Barney Miller or Burn Notice probably. Or maybe I just restart Magnum.

I’ve come to really like this website over the last 150+ episodes.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#20 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:46 pm Thank you all for the suggestions and comments.

I should have been clearer: yes I was asking suggestions for similar shows both in style and substance. Barney Miller or Burn Notice probably. Or maybe I just restart Magnum.

Barney Miller is not very similar to Magnum, P.I. as it is definitely a comedy first (even has a laugh track). It is good though.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:11 am New member here. Longtime fan of show.
I bought a stair machine early in covid lockdown and while working at home I’ve used it so much dozens of pounds have come off.
I binged The Rockford Files and now am just 8 episodes from completing the original series. At 800+ calories per episode (I stretch them on dvd to 50 minutes) the weight will come off.
Anyway, where do I go from here? I’ve thought of joining the 2000s by binging Sopranos or Mad Men, but I’ve gotten so used to the typical episode arc matching the workout that I’d appreciate suggestions here.
I have no real interest in the new series. Thanks.
Hi Infinite Jelly Doughnuts,
May I suggest Burkes Law? Starring Gene Barry as millionaire LAPD homicide captain and playboy Amos Burke. Done tongue in cheek, only Barry could bring this off. A typical episode would start
off with a stylish murder, then Burke would investigate 4 possible suspects played by then movie and TV stars. Upcoming stars in 1963 like the Smothers Brothers were featured too. Most of the stars must
have worked for scale as a favor to producer Spelling, it would have been impossible to make this series otherwise. Sounds a little like Murder She Wrote but it is far wittier plus it has, without a
doubt, the greatest collection of breathtakingly beautiful starlets and established female stars in the history of television.
I used to think 77 Sunset Strip had claim to the title but they were pikers by comparison.
There are inside jokes for Hollywood buffs, such as when Barry is visiting a murder scene at a seedy Western set for tourists and in the faux graveyard spots the tombstone for Bat Masterson.
Barry of course played Masterson in a prior TV series. Also some of the guest characters are very thinly disguised take offs of famous celebs of the period, such as Mike Romanoff, though these little
in jokes will get by many people 50 years later.
The theme song is considered a minor masterpiece, David Letterman's band leader and music maven Paul Schaffer once explained why but the tech details went over my head.
The series ran for 64 episodes over two seasons(that amounts to 3 seasons worth now a days) plus there was a third season where they junked the former premise and it became
"Amos Burke, Secret Agent" to cash in on James Bond mania but it was terrible and rarely ever rerun.
The first two seasons are free on You Tube.
There was a two season remake with Barry in 1995 but I have never seen it.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by 308GUY »

Infinite Jelly Doughnuts wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:46 pm Thank you all for the suggestions and comments.

Great site here....good folks.

One other "suggestion" that I don't believe has been mentioned, but it's possible it has and I just missed it....but......https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052472/

I have no problem just starting Magnum back at episode one where we see Thomas in the tidal pool for the very first time....but I'm "easy" and easily entertained. When I find something I like...I generally stick with it. Doesn't mean I'm not open to something new...just means I like what I like and it's enough. Confucius say...."Man who satisfied with what he has...always has enough." :lol:

But with H.E. you have Robert Conrad and Connie Stevens.....pretty good start if you ask me!

Whatever you end up looking at.....enjoy! Life's short! :!:

"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MikeS
Admiral

#23 Post by MikeS »

I know you wanted Magnum-esq suggestions but I have none. If you want something else The_Doctor_2099 @ Bitchute has a pretty eclectic selection. I don't think he has every episode but he has a wide variety... browsing the offerings... The Fall Guy, Community, The A-Team, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, Adam 12, Emergency, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Streets of San Francisco, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (70s), Black Sheep Squadron, Land of the Lost, Tales from the Darkside, Tales from the Crypt, etc.

If you haven't seen Firefly, I think he has all the episodes.

If you're interested here's the link -> https://www.bitchute.com/channel/the_doctor_2099/

Funny, I had been watching Stacey David's Gearz and he's been building a Fall Guy truck replica, the The Doctor posts Fall Guy eps including the pilot - pretty cool.
MikeS

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by To The Regiment »

MikeS wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:38 pm I know you wanted Magnum-esq suggestions but I have none. If you want something else The_Doctor_2099 @ Bitchute has a pretty eclectic selection. I don't think he has every episode but he has a wide variety... browsing the offerings... The Fall Guy, Community, The A-Team, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, Adam 12, Emergency, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Streets of San Francisco, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (70s), Black Sheep Squadron, Land of the Lost, Tales from the Darkside, Tales from the Crypt, etc.

If you haven't seen Firefly, I think he has all the episodes.

If you're interested here's the link -> https://www.bitchute.com/channel/the_doctor_2099/

Funny, I had been watching Stacey David's Gearz and he's been building a Fall Guy truck replica, the The Doctor posts Fall Guy eps including the pilot - pretty cool.
The Fall Guy was an '80s Classic.

Best,
To The Regiment

MikeS
Admiral

#25 Post by MikeS »

To The Regiment wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:53 pm
MikeS wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:38 pm <snip>

The Fall Guy was an '80s Classic.

Best,
To The Regiment
Hi TTR

I enjoyed The Fall Guy back in the day, and seeing the pilot again was fun. There's a really cute, slim, and young Delta Burke in the episode too.

If anybody on the forum is into cars, trucks, etc, here's a link to the Stunt Double build -> https://staceydavid.com/projects/stunt-double

I did make a mistake though, I used the term replica - I stand corrected... from Stacey's page:
Our own take on the legendary television jump truck featured in the series “The Fall Guy.” This is not a replica of the original Chevy, it’s a stunt double:
My Bad! :oops:
MikeS

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#26 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Great site here....good folks.

One other "suggestion" that I don't believe has been mentioned, but it's possible it has and I just missed it....but......https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052472/

I have no problem just starting Magnum back at episode one where we see Thomas in the tidal pool for the very first time....but I'm "easy" and easily entertained. When I find something I like...I generally stick with it. Doesn't mean I'm not open to something new...just means I like what I like and it's enough. Confucius say...."Man who satisfied with what he has...always has enough." :lol:

But with H.E. you have Robert Conrad and Connie Stevens.....pretty good start if you ask me!

Whatever you end up looking at.....enjoy! Life's short! :!:

Hawaiian Eye sounds like a great idea!

Too bad it's not available for streaming . . . gonna have to dig a little deeper.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I would suggest JAG because it's Bellasario's second best show. You'll recognize a bunch of faces from Magnum and it has some similar themes. Some of it is available to stream on Paramount+, but if you want the whole thing you'll have to go the DVD route or it may still be running on the Heroes & Icons channel, if you get that.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#28 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Ugh, I have been hesitant to mention my go to site for free shows because I do not know if the site is full of danger as my computers are really locked down. I do not know how they make money (Ads? I do not see them. I am guessing that is how they make money.) Just checked using a browser not locked down and it is adverts, mostly sexual in nature. Get an ad blocker and disable Java Script and you see nothing of that. The main reason I did not recommend the site before is the possibility of malware which I have never seen, but I have never seen ads on it before tonight either.

But here is the site:levidia.to. The domain is in Tongo, a Polynesian country. It's links are from Switzerland. Neither country respects U.S. copyright laws.

Of the shows mentioned in the thread the below is what they have:

"Magnum, P.I." (the England Blu-ray version) Probably also the reboot.
"The Rockford Files"
"Columbo"
"The Streets of San Francisco"
"Burn Notice"
"Tour of Duty"
"Community"
"The A-Team"
"Monty Python's Flying Circus"
"Black Sheep Squadron"
"Tales From the Crypt"
"Firefly" An excellent show. They also have the movie, "Serenity").
"JAG"

It also has many, many movies.

Now is this legal? I say, "Yes. It is legal as you are not hosting copyrighted material, only viewing it." Now keep in mind that I am speaking of American law and have no idea what other countries find legal and illegal. Also, any time I say something like that I must make a disclaimer like this:

The above does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice and show not be relied upon as such. In no manner does the above create a lawyer-client relationship. Any perceived advice above is taken at your own risk and if in doubt should be reviewed by professionals before assuming any risk.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:06 am I would suggest JAG because it's Bellasario's second best show. You'll recognize a bunch of faces from Magnum and it has some similar themes. Some of it is available to stream on Paramount+, but if you want the whole thing you'll have to go the DVD route or it may still be running on the Heroes & Icons channel, if you get that.
I don't know about JAG. I could never really get into it. A bit on the dull side. Actually I think NCIS was an improvement on JAG. To me the two best from Bellisario were MAGNUM and AIRWOLF.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:18 pm
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:06 am I would suggest JAG because it's Bellasario's second best show. You'll recognize a bunch of faces from Magnum and it has some similar themes. Some of it is available to stream on Paramount+, but if you want the whole thing you'll have to go the DVD route or it may still be running on the Heroes & Icons channel, if you get that.
I don't know about JAG. I could never really get into it. A bit on the dull side. Actually I think NCIS was an improvement on JAG. To me the two best from Bellisario were MAGNUM and AIRWOLF.
I never liked Airwolf. It was too silly for me. I still watch NCIS (the original only), but I've never thought it was as good as JAG. NCIS is just a procedural, JAG had more variety from episode to episode. There was mystery, court room drama, action, adventure, family drama, politics, and a little romance occasionally and all that Navy stuff is interesting! It had a few episodes that were dull, but what show doesn't? Plus, I've never gotten over Gibbs accusing Harm of murder in the back door pilot!