40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#181 Post by T.Q. »

The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club tonight.

Gonna watch.

I enjoy this episode.

:magnum: :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#182 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Curse of the KKC. I love this one, but I’m not sure why. It’s pretty corny.

A few thoughts. I wish they would have developed Charlie’s character more as the show went on. The guy who plays him is a better actor than most who play bit characters. Rick grabs Magnum’s beer for a sip because he has a sore throat?? Tom flubbed a line when he comes into Makua’s shack. He clearly says “are you Akua?” Larry also flubs a line at the KKC, calling the race a “ski-surf race.” I love the line Magnum delivers when she proposes the millions he could get and buy his own Ferrari and estate: “that would take all the fun out of it.” That pretty much sums up the show!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#183 Post by Pahonu »

I agree it is a bit corny, but I don’t care for it too much. I’ve been a paddler for over 25 years so you’d think I would like it more??? It also has no scenes at all at the estate, my favorite part of the show pretty much. The scene with Charlie and the ruby flash in his eye is fun though. I think my biggest struggle with the episode is Gretchen Corbett as the baddie. I absolutely love her on The Rockford Files as Beth Davenport. She a strong, intelligent, caring woman and her scenes with Jim are among my favorites. I just don’t like her here, which is the point I suppose! I didn’t like her much as Holly Fox in The Look either.

Styles Bitchley

#184 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:55 pm I agree it is a bit corny, but I don’t care for it too much. I’ve been a paddler for over 25 years so you’d think I would like it more??? It also has no scenes at all at the estate, my favorite part of the show pretty much. The scene with Charlie and the ruby flash in his eye is fun though. I think my biggest struggle with the episode is Gretchen Corbett as the baddie. I absolutely love her on The Rockford Files as Beth Davenport. She a strong, intelligent, caring woman and her scenes with Jim are among my favorites. I just don’t like her here, which is the point I suppose! I didn’t like her much as Holly Fox in The Look either.
She succeeds in making me dislike her strongly, so I think she pulled it off! It’s a good reveal, with her on TV at the time Magnum comes to confront the old man.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#185 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I remember initially not liking this episode at all. I'm not into superstitious kapu/curse/voodoo stuff but I've warmed to it over the years. I liked Gretchen Corbett playing the baddie in this one. I discovered that Sol Bright (playing the old kahuna?) was an old singer in his own right and I really get a kick out of this fast-paced diddy of his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPP3Vs4bAjg. I liked Manu Tupou's character and the surf-ski stuff and them trying to rationalize all the bad luck that's been happening. It's funny enough for a rewatch.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#186 Post by T.Q. »

Cornball.

The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club is cornball?

I been watch The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club since I was three.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#187 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

What is a "cornball", exactly? Is it a ball made out of corn? Who would make such a thing - and how would it apply to TV shows?

Styles Bitchley

#188 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Following up on Manu Tupou--who played Charlie in the Curse of the KKC--his IMDB profile is worth a browse. Lots of interesting appearances, including Hawaii Five-O, Vega$, and Tales of the Gold Monkey. Only once in Magnum PI, however. Interesting that he's actually Fijian, not Hawaiian.

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#189 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:20 pm What is a "cornball", exactly? Is it a ball made out of corn? Who would make such a thing - and how would it apply to TV shows?
They called the episode "corny".

I improvised.

"Cornball" is from Home From The Sea.

Thought people would pick up on that. :wink:

It's Cornball.

Cornball. 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' is cornball?

I've been singing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' since I was three.

You were three?

Don't get cute Tobias.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#190 Post by ConchRepublican »

Finally got to my rewatch of this ....

I also have always been just meh about this, and, agreeing with Pahonu, I think the biggest reason is Gretchen Corbett. I guess she did a good job though, we weren't supposed to like her. I'll say, on rewatch I do like it more than my memories

I also agree with Styles, I wish Charlie, along with others like Alistair Ffolkes, were worked in the series going forward, the way Doc Ibold was, a "Magnumverse" if you will.

Is this the first time we see Higgy in sunglasses? I feel like the only other time was the finale, covering his black eye.

When TM leaves his surf ski to help Henry Lewis, how did he get it back from the ocean?

It's nice to get a mention of Rick's Cafe as well . . . IIRC it's only this episode and season 2's Wave Goodbye which acknowledge the club seen in the pilot.

Could TC's "flip-fall" in the burning cane fields have been more corny?

Also, when Mr. Dollinger explains the founding of the KKC, he said is was for "all the people" and how little he charges in rent . . . yet the club has been losing money for years as confirmed by both Higgins and Rick, yet we also know it's the most exclusive club on all of Oahu . . . just how badly are they mismanaging that place?!?

Also . . . the end wearing the KKC 44 shirt, that looks like a USA Olympic logo, but only 3 rings . . . I wonder if this helps with trying to figure out the shirt and "44"'s meaning.

Overall I like this one better than I remembered . . . maybe it was just overshadowed by the other classics.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#191 Post by Pahonu »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 am Finally got to my rewatch of this ....

I also have always been just meh about this, and, agreeing with Pahonu, I think the biggest reason is Gretchen Corbett. I guess she did a good job though, we weren't supposed to like her. I'll say, on rewatch I do like it more than my memories

I also agree with Styles, I wish Charlie, along with others like Alistair Ffolkes, were worked in the series going forward, the way Doc Ibold was, a "Magnumverse" if you will.

Is this the first time we see Higgy in sunglasses? I feel like the only other time was the finale, covering his black eye.

When TM leaves his surf ski to help Henry Lewis, how did he get it back from the ocean?

It's nice to get a mention of Rick's Cafe as well . . . IIRC it's only this episode and season 2's Wave Goodbye which acknowledge the club seen in the pilot.

Could TC's "flip-fall" in the burning cane fields have been more corny?

Also, when Mr. Dollinger explains the founding of the KKC, he said is was for "all the people" and how little he charges in rent . . . yet the club has been losing money for years as confirmed by both Higgins and Rick, yet we also know it's the most exclusive club on all of Oahu . . . just how badly are they mismanaging that place?!?

Also . . . the end wearing the KKC 44 shirt, that looks like a USA Olympic logo, but only 3 rings . . . I wonder if this helps with trying to figure out the shirt and "44"'s meaning.

Overall I like this one better than I remembered . . . maybe it was just overshadowed by the other classics.
I also remember Higgins wearing sunglasses as the third base coach in Squeeze Play. Kind of dorky looking actually. Sorry KHale! :(

At least Ffolkes got a second episode. They were at the KKC all the time so it would have been cool to see a Charlie a few more times.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#192 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 am Could TC's "flip-fall" in the burning cane fields have been more corny?
I've done a lot of running through fields, but I've never flipped like that. How is it even possible? I remember rewinding and watching that flip over and over, saying to myself, "Now how the hell did that happen?"

I'd like to see a gif file of that.
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:41 am When TM leaves his surf ski to help Henry Lewis, how did he get it back from the ocean?
I never thought about that. The ocean was pretty calm and there were lots of people around. Somebody probably went after it and brought it back to the beach.

I know I'm always terrified of my little boat drifting away. Now I don't jump off unless I'm holding a 50m line.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#193 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:02 pm I've done a lot of running through fields, but I've never flipped like that. How is it even possible? I remember rewinding and watching that flip over and over, saying to myself, "Now how the hell did that happen?"

T.Q. is our resident GIF maker! :D You can count on him. I personally can't remember this flip you speak of.

Styles Bitchley

#194 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:30 pm
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:02 pm I've done a lot of running through fields, but I've never flipped like that. How is it even possible? I remember rewinding and watching that flip over and over, saying to myself, "Now how the hell did that happen?"

T.Q. is our resident GIF maker! :D You can count on him. I personally can't remember this flip you speak of.
Really? It's hard to miss!

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#195 Post by T.Q. »

I love da flip. :lol: