40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#151 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:23 pm Speaking of Rebecca Holden's character, if Rick really hired her to be afternoon entertainment he needs new ears.
Actually Rebecca Holden was a professional singer, in addition to being an actress, and even released some CDs. You can listen to her on YouTube. She's quite good. So she's definitely not lacking in the singing department. Unless she was purposely trying to sound amateurish here? But I don't remember her sounding particularly bad.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#152 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:02 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:23 pm Speaking of Rebecca Holden's character, if Rick really hired her to be afternoon entertainment he needs new ears.
Actually Rebecca Holden was a professional singer, in addition to being an actress, and even released some CDs. You can listen to her on YouTube. She's quite good. So she's definitely not lacking in the singing department. Unless she was purposely trying to sound amateurish here? But I don't remember her sounding particularly bad.

I guess what struck me the most was the lounge vibe . . . I don't think of that in the afternoon in a private club (the most exclusive on Oahu as we found out this episode) in Hawai'i, but maybe I'm choosing to overlook "Tiny Bubbles".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#153 Post by T.Q. »

Just listened to a few of her songs.

Tell the truth Ivan.

Did you blast those songs in Doc Wei as a form of torture by any chance?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#154 Post by terryfromkerry »

The one new item I noted during this viewing of MIA.........
Magnum introduces himself to Rebecca Holden as "Tom" Magnum not Thomas. This struck me as noteworthy. If my memory is accurate Magnum usually tended to introduce himself as "Thomas". Later in "Lest We Forget" he introduces himself as Thomas to Kiki but a minute later as Tom to Kiki's grandfather Manu. It is the first season of course and the characters personalities are still developing. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Fleet Admiral

#155 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:59 pm
Just listened to a few of her songs.

Tell the truth Ivan.

Did you blast those songs in Doc Wei as a form of torture by any chance?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried but it didn't yield the expected results. I failed Mother Russia. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-uNYxmrvk

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#156 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm
I tried but it didn't yield the expected results. I failed Mother Russia. :(
I'm wearing you down Ivan. :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#157 Post by T.Q. »

February 12, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Lest We Forget
Season 1, episode 10

W: Donald P. Bellisario D: Lawrence Doheny
With David Palmer (Dutch Mueller), June Lockhart (Diane Westmore Pauley - 1981), Anne Lockhart (Diane Westmore - 1941), Miguel Ferrer (Bobby Wickes - 1941), Scatman Crothers (Tickler), Jose Ferrer (Judge Robert Caine), Elizabeth Lindsey (Kiki), Sonny Ching (Maku), Patricia Herman (Jessie), Remi Abellira (Moki), Reri Tava Jobe (Hostess).

A man nominated to be a Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court asks Magnum to find a woman he last saw on December 6, 1941, when he was a young Navy ensign and she was a hooker.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#158 Post by 308GUY »

One of my all time absolute favorites....for several reasons.

Looking forward to watching this one again.

I've always said, this story line could have easily been done as a movie, and I don't think it could have been done much/any better than it was here by the MPI cast and crew, including the guest stars and especially the casting director. It would have just been a tad longer where more detail could have been added....especially love SM Crothers spot!

Thanks for the reminder T.Q.! :magnum: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#159 Post by ConchRepublican »

T.Q. wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:47 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:48 pm Troubling, ain't it!?!
Conch,

You should put out an email "blast" to all the Magnum Mania members that we started a 40th Anniversary watch party.

See how many inactive members come back.

Might be fun.

All for the action. Outta sight.
Great idea!

I just sent one out. Let's see who we can bring back into the fold.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fleet Admiral

#160 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

This one has a great subplot where Higgins is bending over backwards doing all kinds of favors for Magnum because he thinks TM is a champion card player. The reveal at the end is hilarious!!! :lol:

I especially love the lads standing on that square rock in the tidal pool holding TM's flip-flops in their mouth, as he finishes his swim. :lol: :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#161 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:51 pm This one has a great subplot where Higgins is bending over backwards doing all kinds of favors for Magnum because he thinks TM is a champion card player. The reveal at the end is hilarious!!! :lol:

I especially love the lads standing on that square rock in the tidal pool holding TM's flip-flops in their mouth, as he finishes his swim. :lol: :lol:
This is another of my favorite subplots in the series. Higgins even packs him a lunch! :lol:

Magnum10K
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#162 Post by Magnum10K »

Great idea. I'm in.
-Magnum10K
https://www.instagram.com/magnum10k/

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#163 Post by T.Q. »

Magnum10K wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:56 pm Great idea. I'm in.
Welcome.

I have too much fun goofin' around here. :lol:

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#164 Post by Lily »

Hello!

Haven't been on these boards for a very long time and thanks to your invitation Conch, have returned for a while. Have spent the last few hours here, checking up on things, especially the latest developments re The Estate. We used to go every year and swim in the tidal pool, also over the years had a couple of conversations with Eve Anderson, and met other Magnum fans.
Hard to believe but the last time I was there was 2014 as after that we gave up going to Oahu, much preferring to spend winter time on Maui.

Wish we were anywhere in Hawaii right now as last night here where I live here in Canada, with the wind chill, it was the equivalent of -43C!

Have all my Magnum DVD's raring to go! Take care everyone!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#165 Post by T.Q. »

Lily wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 pm Hello!

Haven't been on these boards for a very long time and thanks to your invitation Conch, have returned for a while. Have spent the last few hours here, checking up on things, especially the latest developments re The Estate. We used to go every year and swim in the tidal pool, also over the years had a couple of conversations with Eve Anderson, and met other Magnum fans.
Hard to believe but the last time I was there was 2014 as after that we gave up going to Oahu, much preferring to spend winter time on Maui.

Wish we were anywhere in Hawaii right now as last night here where I live here in Canada, with the wind chill, it was the equivalent of -43C!

Have all my Magnum DVD's raring to go! Take care everyone!
Welcome back.

It’s a fun idea getting some Magnum Maniacs back for the 40th anniversary watch.

I also go to Maui. Love it.