Feel Good Show

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Feel Good Show

#1 Post by T.Q. »

I’ve been watching Miami Vice recently during my workouts.

It’s a good show but absolutely nothing about it raises my spirits imho.

Through season 2 (and not dying to continue watching) and it made me realize the difference between a good show and a good ‘feel good’ show.

Magnum is both. It’s special.

:magnum: :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Feel Good Show

#2 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Absolutely agreed! I tried MIAMI VICE but just couldn't get into it. Sure, it's got plenty of style and the popular 80s songs on its soundtrack and our 2 leads are slick-looking in their pastels but somehow it all feels too glossy, too superficial. It cries out "hey look at me, I'm MTV!!!" and like you said it's just too dark for the most part. I suppose that's what made it so unique back when it came out, but nowadays after years of so many dark and brooding shows out there the last thing I want to do is revisit a dark show from the 80s. Just the opposite. Although AIRWOLF might be an exception. It was a good kind of dark - a Cold War espionage dark, at least during its first season. But even outside of the gloss and the brooding atmosphere of MV there's just something else about the show that doesn't click for me. Maybe the idea that every episode revolves around Crockett and Tubbs going undercover as drug dealers to bust other drug dealers isn't interesting enough for me. I need more variety in my cop show. That's why HUNTER (MV's counterpart on NBC at that time) is a much better show for me to watch. The 2 leads aren't glossy, there's no MTV styling, no pretension. Just a solid cop show from Stephen J. Cannell with more variety from episode to episode. That man knew how to make good shows. Whether it was silly fun like THE A-TEAM or something more serious like HUNTER. As I recall, that show was also called out on its violence by the critics but it doesn't come across as pretentiously grim or dark like MV. It feels more real/honest and just feels more like a cop show that I'm used to.

But yeah MPI is the ultimate feel good show! :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Absolutely agreed! I tried MIAMI VICE but just couldn't get into it. Sure, it's got plenty of style and the popular 80s songs on its soundtrack and our 2 leads are slick-looking in their pastels but somehow it all feels too glossy, too superficial. It cries out "hey look at me, I'm MTV!!!" and like you said it's just too dark for the most part. I suppose that's what made it so unique back when it came out, but nowadays after years of so many dark and brooding shows out there the last thing I want to do is revisit a dark show from the 80s. Just the opposite. Although AIRWOLF might be an exception. It was a good kind of dark - a Cold War espionage dark, at least during its first season. But even outside of the gloss and the brooding atmosphere of MV there's just something else about the show that doesn't click for me. Maybe the idea that every episode revolves around Crockett and Tubbs going undercover as drug dealers to bust other drug dealers isn't interesting enough for me. I need more variety in my cop show. That's why HUNTER (MV's counterpart on NBC at that time) is a much better show for me to watch. The 2 leads aren't glossy, there's no MTV styling, no pretension. Just a solid cop show from Stephen J. Cannell with more variety from episode to episode. That man knew how to make good shows. Whether it was silly fun like THE A-TEAM or something more serious like HUNTER. As I recall, that show was also called out on its violence by the critics but it doesn't come across as pretentiously grim or dark like MV. It feels more real/honest and just feels more like a cop show that I'm used to.

Good post. :D

I haven't seen Hunter since I was a kid.

Wonder if I can find it somewhere.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

MikeS
Admiral

#4 Post by MikeS »

T.Q. wrote: Good post. :D

I don't know if it's the whole series but you can watch Hunter here -> https://tubitv.com/series/4064/hunter

MV was somewhat hitNmiss with me, MPI is simply a better overall show IMO, but it did have some bleak moments too.
MikeS

Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Absolutely agreed! I tried MIAMI VICE but just couldn't get into it. Sure, it's got plenty of style and the popular 80s songs on its soundtrack and our 2 leads are slick-looking in their pastels but somehow it all feels too glossy, too superficial. It cries out "hey look at me, I'm MTV!!!" and like you said it's just too dark for the most part. I suppose that's what made it so unique back when it came out, but nowadays after years of so many dark and brooding shows out there the last thing I want to do is revisit a dark show from the 80s. Just the opposite. Although AIRWOLF might be an exception. It was a good kind of dark - a Cold War espionage dark, at least during its first season. But even outside of the gloss and the brooding atmosphere of MV there's just something else about the show that doesn't click for me. Maybe the idea that every episode revolves around Crockett and Tubbs going undercover as drug dealers to bust other drug dealers isn't interesting enough for me. I need more variety in my cop show. That's why HUNTER (MV's counterpart on NBC at that time) is a much better show for me to watch. The 2 leads aren't glossy, there's no MTV styling, no pretension. Just a solid cop show from Stephen J. Cannell with more variety from episode to episode. That man knew how to make good shows. Whether it was silly fun like THE A-TEAM or something more serious like HUNTER. As I recall, that show was also called out on its violence by the critics but it doesn't come across as pretentiously grim or dark like MV. It feels more real/honest and just feels more like a cop show that I'm used to.

Good post. :D

T.Q., every episode of HUNTER is available on YouTube. Been available for quite some time. Enjoy!

Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MikeS wrote:
T.Q. wrote: Good post. :D

I don't know if it's the whole series but you can watch Hunter here -> https://tubitv.com/series/4064/hunter

MV was somewhat hitNmiss with me, MPI is simply a better overall show IMO, but it did have some bleak moments too.
Yes, MPI had bleak moments too and did it MUCH better than MV. Nothing on MV was as good as "Did You See the Sun Rise?" or "Memories are Forever".

Heck, even when MPI morphed into MV, as it did with "Death and Taxes" and "Laura", it was still better than the show it was emulating! :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by T.Q. »

Magnum

Feel good show occasionally sprinkled with bleak moments.

Miami Vice

Bleak show occasionally sprinkled with feel good.

Thanks for the YouTube suggestion. :D

And thanks MikeS for the Tubi suggestion.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by MHTR »

What irks me is when the 80s are mentioned (e.g., in commercials, etc.) Miami Vice is inevitably mentioned but not Magnum PI. There's currently a radio station commercial here that does just that. Irks me no end. However, they do play the clip of "Where's the beef?" that always makes me chuckle to myself.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#9 Post by Pahonu »

MHTR wrote:What irks me is when the 80s are mentioned (e.g., in commercials, etc.) Miami Vice is inevitably mentioned but not Magnum PI. There's currently a radio station commercial here that does just that. Irks me no end. However, they do play the clip of "Where's the beef?" that always makes me chuckle to myself.
I think Miami Vice was more of a cultural phenomenon than Magnum. It was very cutting edge and original for the time with the music and fashion and style in general. I don’t think it was a better show overall. I prefer Magnum, but it has become symbolic of the decade.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hello everyone ! 8)

For its time, Miami Vice was innovative and offered an unique mix of 'Noir' movies ambience and Flashy appearance (albeit somewhat artificial).

However, as a teenager, at the time it was aired in France (it was titled as 'Deux flics à Miami', i never got caught or appealed by this show. Maybe because of his darkness, as some have already stated; might be due to the linear stories depicted; moreover, because of, with the passing seasons, the stalling credibility of the main pitch of the serie: two undercovered cops in the rich sphere of Miami's criminals… Besides, i remember that some episodes fizzled to a short end with no reasons (well, from what i could recall from my Younger times ! :shock: ).

IMO, Magnum PI aimed to a much more balanced and 'optimistic' show. The goal was not to depict, with alleged crude realism, the misavendtures, dilemna, cases of conscience of two individuals but to create a blended realm (apart from realism) between comedy/drama with balanced, endearing characters, 'touching' situations (sad or joyful). A melting that lets the audience take part of this theatralised alternate life.

The public needs heroes to identify with. Well, from that point, i have to say that i never identified with Tubbs or Crockett…

Edit: From further reading i've just seen that Michael Mann is considered as one of the founders of the genre called 'Neo-noir' or 'Neon noir'...

Really an interesting movie/TV series current, buth definitevely a too 'cynical' genre for me. :?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I agree with everything said here about Miami Vice. It wasn't a terrible show, but it was lacking a connection with the audience. That said, I've always liked Don Johnson; he's easy on the eyes and his sarcastic line delivery is hilarious. I've thought Nash Bridges was a better show than Vice since it's original run and I'm planning to do a rewatch of Nash Bridges once I finish watching original H5O. The writing on Nash was better and the show had a lighter tone than Vice with the added comedy from Cheech Marin and James Gammon.

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I already mentioned that MIAMI VICE had this pretentious and unrealistic approach to "dark" and "brooding". It just seemed fake - like real people don't act this way. That's why I found HUNTER and other cop shows more realistic. When characters in those shows went through crap they felt like real people, like how most people would react if something terrible happened to them. Whereas characters on MV felt like they were posing for a music video when they "acted" out their gloomy and dark scenes. It just all felt over-stylized and superficial. It's actually funny because the one character on the show I actually liked was Castillo (Edward James Olmos) and he was probably the most fake and unreal character of them all. The dude talks without even looking at you, his voice is barely audible, never ever cracks a smile, not the least imposing physically, and yet somehow he's a total badass! :shock: Heck, he belongs in a Sergio Leone movie!!! :lol: No one like this exists in real life. But hey, that's MV for ya. Still, I can't deny he's a cool character. I wonder if David Caruso wasn't watching him and taking tips on how to be intimidating by whispering and doing weird head tilts and adjusting his sunglasses for his CSI:MIAMI role LOL!

Anyway, if I want a cop show in paradise MV doesn't do it for me. HAWAII FIVE-O (the original) is where it's at. Never been bettered and never will. No wonder the show ran 12 seasons - there was plenty of variety in the cases they solved. Not the same old deal of going undercover to bust drug dealers week after week. That gets old real fast, as does the MTV styling. Plus FIVE-O just felt more upbeat, despite being a fairly violent and often edgy show for its day. It didn't seem superficial, it packed a more realistic punch, and there was no moral gray area for the hero. McGarrett knew where he stood and Jack Lord played him to perfection. Right was right, and wrong was wrong. No room for compromising. So refreshing after so many morally questionable and even reprehensible "heroes" of modern television. Simpler times back then. That's why we gravitate towards those shows. Feel good television.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:I already mentioned that MIAMI VICE had this pretentious and unrealistic approach to "dark" and "brooding". It just seemed fake - like real people don't act this way. That's why I found HUNTER and other cop shows more realistic. When characters in those shows went through crap they felt like real people, like how most people would react if something terrible happened to them. Whereas characters on MV felt like they were posing for a music video when they "acted" out their gloomy and dark scenes. It just all felt over-stylized and superficial. It's actually funny because the one character on the show I actually liked was Castillo (Edward James Olmos) and he was probably the most fake and unreal character of them all. The dude talks without even looking at you, his voice is barely audible, never ever cracks a smile, not the least imposing physically, and yet somehow he's a total badass! :shock: Heck, he belongs in a Sergio Leone movie!!! :lol: No one like this exists in real life. But hey, that's MV for ya. Still, I can't deny he's a cool character. I wonder if David Caruso wasn't watching him and taking tips on how to be intimidating by whispering and doing weird head tilts and adjusting his sunglasses for his CSI:MIAMI role LOL!

Anyway, if I want a cop show in paradise MV doesn't do it for me. HAWAII FIVE-O (the original) is where it's at. Never been bettered and never will. No wonder the show ran 12 seasons - there was plenty of variety in the cases they solved. Not the same old deal of going undercover to bust drug dealers week after week. That gets old real fast, as does the MTV styling. Plus FIVE-O just felt more upbeat, despite being a fairly violent and often edgy show for its day. It didn't seem superficial, it packed a more realistic punch, and there was no moral gray area for the hero. McGarrett knew where he stood and Jack Lord played him to perfection. Right was right, and wrong was wrong. No room for compromising. So refreshing after so many morally questionable and even reprehensible "heroes" of modern television. Simpler times back then. That's why we gravitate towards those shows. Feel good television.
Ivan,
Thank you for posting that, you clarified many points I couldn't quite put my finger on. Book 'em, Ivan-o!

Wilson_MacLeish
Lieutenant

#14 Post by Wilson_MacLeish »

Miami Vice is an odd mix of 2 polar opposites. One part of it is very "bubblegum pop" with the focus on Style, and MTV music that's very youth oriented, while the other part is pretty serious violent crime. It'd be like Justin Bieber on The Wire or something haha.

Magnum has those elements from time to time, but it's a more consistent, and complete world. It feels much more inviting, and relatable. I tend to like the shows that are about justice, but outside of the actual police much better i.e. Magnum, and Knight Rider.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
HAWAII FIVE-O (the original) is where it's at. Never been bettered and never will. No wonder the show ran 12 seasons - there was plenty of variety in the cases they solved. Not the same old deal of going undercover to bust drug dealers week after week. That gets old real fast, as does the MTV styling. Plus FIVE-O just felt more upbeat, despite being a fairly violent and often edgy show for its day. It didn't seem superficial, it packed a more realistic punch, and there was no moral gray area for the hero. McGarrett knew where he stood and Jack Lord played him to perfection. Right was right, and wrong was wrong. No room for compromising. So refreshing after so many morally questionable and even reprehensible "heroes" of modern television. Simpler times back then. That's why we gravitate towards those shows. Feel good television.
I just started watching. Never have before believe it or not.

First two episodes were good.