James Hong

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

James Hong

#1 Post by Capa150 »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/entertai ... index.html

CNN has a story about this actor: "With more than 600 credits to his name, he may lay claim to the most credits of any actor, living or dead."

I recall him being in at least one Magnum episode, "Forty." http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season7/Forty.html

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: James Hong

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Capa150,
Welcome to Magnum Mania. Thanks for posting. This is such an inspiring story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na0JFgce9SM
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Capa150,
I would like to join with Terry from Kerry in welcoming you to MM. As for James Hong, I think you will like the below which I previously
posted in the "It Got By The Censors" thread:

Noted character actor/director/producer James Hong appeared on Bonanza as the cousin of the Cartwright's cook Hop Sing.
As "Number One Cousin" he cooked for the Cartwrights in a few episodes when Victor Sen Yung(Hop Sing) had other commitments.
Fast forward 30 years to another NBC series, Seinfeld, and James Hong is now playing the maitre d' in a Chinese restaurant in the noted
episode "The Chinese Restaurant".
In Joke:
While George Costanza and pals are waiting for their table, James Hong calls out the name of the next party to be seated, "Cartwright, party of four".
I guess Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe had a yen for General Tso's Chicken that night.

MikeS
Admiral

#4 Post by MikeS »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:episode "The Chinese Restaurant".
In Joke:
While George Costanza and pals are waiting for their table, James Hong calls out the name of the next party to be seated, "Cartwright, party of four".
I guess Ben, Adam, Hoss and Little Joe had a yen for General Tso's Chicken that night.
Thanks for pointing out this gem of an easter egg. I've seen this episode numerous times and the reference slipped by me every time, no more... look forward to catching next time it's on :)
MikeS

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MikeS wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:episode "The Chinese Restaurant".
In Joke:
Thanks for pointing out this gem of an easter egg. I've seen this episode numerous times and the reference slipped by me every time, no more... look forward to catching next time it's on :)
MikeS,
Our fellow poster Kenji at the "It Got By The Censor/In Joke" thread supplies a link to that scene, if you care to watch it now. Seinfeld especially had a lot of
in jokes/easter eggs. Jerry Seinfeld, like most NYC area kids growing up in the 50's, 60's and 70's watched endless reruns on channel 11 of the Abbott & Costello Show.
He littered his own series with references to it such as the character Sid Fields. The very look of the Seinfeld street set, the apartment house full of oddballs,
the crazy encounters in a diner/luncheon joint, much of the off kilter "structure" of the series, was swiped in whole from Bud and Lou. Which Seinfeld freely admits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Schnooks rush in where wise men fear to tread"...Grandpa Munster(Al Lewis)

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Seinfeld especially had a lot of
in jokes/easter eggs. Jerry Seinfeld, like most NYC area kids growing up in the 50's, 60's and 70's watched endless reruns on channel 11 of the Abbott & Costello Show.
He littered his own series with references to it such as the character Sid Fields. The very look of the Seinfeld street set, the apartment house full of oddballs,
the crazy encounters in a diner/luncheon joint, much of the off kilter "structure" of the series, was swiped in whole from Bud and Lou. Which Seinfeld freely admits.
Jerry should get more credit for the success of Seinfeld, it's always bugged me that Larry David gets all the critical acclaim.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Seinfeld especially had a lot of
Jerry should get more credit for the success of Seinfeld, it's always bugged me that Larry David gets all the critical acclaim.
Hi MLS,
I think you are spot on, Jerry's fingerprints are all over Seinfeld, his humor/writing endears both his character and the other 3 lead characters to the audience despite
their flaws, as opposed to the utterly irredeemable types David creates when left strictly to his own devices.
Larry David is a one trick pony. A unique brilliant pony, but one trick, that's why a few episodes a season, sometimes with years off
between seasons, benefits his HBO series and Larry. It's the Don Rickles syndrome, too much of it and you can see behind the artifice and notice the man behind
the curtain as in The Wizard of Oz.
Yes I understand his HBO series is one of the greats, but it's like ZZ Top, you can only enjoy so much at a time, while when Jerry appears today on talk shows
or elsewhere he is still coming up with new and killer material. Just an aside, he often calls up late night hosts on the all sports WFAN in NYC, to talk about
that night's Met game. He is only identified as "Jerry from Queens" and the hosts maintain the fiction he is just another caller, but his voice and humor are
obvious to all.