Which episode is this from and is T.C. drinking beer?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

80s Big Hair
Admiral

Which episode is this from and is T.C. drinking beer?

#1 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Normally I skip the credits or am doing something else when they are on, but today I did not and saw this. The opening credits screenshot is taken from 3.3 Ki'is Don't Lie. Thanks!

80s Big Hair
Admiral

Re: Which episode is this from and is T.C. drinking beer?

#2 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Found it! Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii part 2:
The shot is at 16:00. Being the ace private investigator that I am not, a little voice inside of me told me that since T.C. does not drink, this must be very early in the show, probably the pilot. It is a bit odd that they kept it in the opening credits at least through season 3.
Last edited by 80s Big Hair on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi 80s Big Hair !

I've got another question for you. I am wondering if Is this take was shot at T.C. Island Hooper's office (Maka Pu-u Pier)

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attraction_R ... =382594066

or on another location, or even at Hawaii Film studios ? Would have been more logical for me, since it was an early shot.

Your advice ?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#4 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Hi 80s Big Hair !

I've got another question for you. I am wondering if Is this take was shot at T.C. Island Hooper's office (Maka Pu-u Pier)

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attraction_R ... =382594066

or on another location, or even at Hawaii Film studios ? Would have been more logical for me, since it was an early shot.

Your advice ?
It is not what is later used as his office Gorilla Mask. They could have shot it anywhere. Here is what his office looked like in 3.5:

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Gorilla Mask »

You Right, it seems fairly different.

I've already seen this later office in others episode before 3.5. It strengthen the guess that, for the pilot, they just fimed it in studios. Later, for the next seasons, they "settled" it. But as you said, it could be shot anywhere with no certainty concerning Makapu-u Pier.

Thanks for your answer 8)

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#6 Post by Mr. Keoki »

In the early episodes TC was kind of a "normal" guy, who drank beer and was a womanizer/cat caller. They refined his role into what it became: The gentleman, who doesn't drink and is chivalrous to the ladies.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#7 Post by Pahonu »

Mr. Keoki wrote:In the early episodes TC was kind of a "normal" guy, who drank beer and was a womanizer/cat caller. They refined his role into what it became: The gentleman, who doesn't drink and is chivalrous to the ladies.
Definitely! He was commenting on women’s “bazooms” in the helicopter flight in the pilot, plus drinking the beer in his office. FAA rules? :lol:

This leads to the question: which episode did we first see the change?

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Pahonu wrote:
Mr. Keoki wrote:In the early episodes TC was kind of a "normal" guy, who drank beer and was a womanizer/cat caller. They refined his role into what it became: The gentleman, who doesn't drink and is chivalrous to the ladies.
Definitely! He was commenting on women’s “bazooms” in the helicopter flight in the pilot, plus drinking the beer in his office. FAA rules? :lol:

For me the change took place immediatly after the Pilot. In the following episodes ("China Doll", or "Never again Never gain") TC is much more in restraint concerning girls comments and alcohol :lol: . I guess the reversal was complete after "Thicker than blood".

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#9 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Gorilla Mask wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

For me the change took place immediatly after the Pilot. In the following episodes ("China Doll", or "Never again Never gain") TC is much more in restraint concerning girls comments and alcohol :lol: . I guess the reversal was complete after "Thicker than blood".
Having just watched 1.3 through 1.7 (in high speed) it appears that he only drank during the pilot.

In 1.4 he and Magnum enter a dive bar to get information and Magnum orders two beers, T.C. receiving one, but they did not want the beer, only information. T.C. does not drink his and Magnum only takes one sip before they leave. So that means nothing. It does not come up again until 1.7.

In that episode Rick and T.C. are at the club. T.C. is drinking coffee and Rick is drinking something out of a tumbler that looks like whiskey. Magnum comes in with a beer. So it appears the writers decided T.C. should be a teetotaler in season one.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

80s Big Hair wrote:
Gorilla Mask wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Having just watched 1.3 through 1.7 (in high speed) it appears that he only drank during the pilot.

In 1.4 he and Magnum enter a dive bar to get information and Magnum orders two beers, T.C. receiving one, but they did not want the beer, only information. T.C. does not drink his and Magnum only takes one sip before they leave. So that means nothing. It does not come up again until 1.7.

In that episode Rick and T.C. are at the club. T.C. is drinking coffee and Rick is drinking something out of a tumbler that looks like whiskey. Magnum comes in with a beer. So it appears the writers decided T.C. should be a teetotaler in season one.
Hi 80's Big Hair,
I have enjoyed your posts including this thread and welcome. In Aloha Magnum, Larry Manetti writes " Roger insisted his character maintain a clean living image." He also adds "Roger loved kids and was a great role model for them." This would suggest it was probably Roger's influence or insistance on the writers to develop the character of T.C. in this positive light. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#11 Post by 80s Big Hair »

terryfromkerry wrote:
Hi 80's Big Hair,
I have enjoyed your posts including this thread and welcome. In Aloha Magnum, Larry Manetti writes " Roger insisted his character maintain a clean living image." He also adds "Roger loved kids and was a great role model for them." This would suggest it was probably Roger's influence or insistance on the writers to develop the character of T.C. in this positive light. :)
That also explains why he was always coaching kids and had several episodes that focused on his children. Thanks.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Nice to have such an accurate related data ! 8)

One question (not linked to beers...but to girls :shock: ): i read in an article that Roger was renowned as some sort of "womaniser" ('coureur de jupons' in french). Is that right ?

Good to have both of you in the same thread ! :wink:

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#13 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Nice to have such an accurate related data ! 8)

One question (not linked to beers...but to girls :shock: ): i read in an article that Roger was renowned as some sort of "womaniser" ('coureur de jupons' in french). Is that right ?

Good to have both of you in the same thread ! :wink:
I read somewhere that he had so many children that he once got them all together to meet each other because he was concerned they might start dating. That seems a bit far fetched. Maybe he was joking or exaggerating. Maybe wherever I read that they just made it up. I do not know. There is no mention of him being a womanizer in the Roger E. Mosley thread.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,
There is absolutely no indication of that type of behaviour in Larry's book.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by K Hale »

Never heard of any of this.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!