The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2551 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:Both are under a roof, but neither is completely enclosed as a room. This is not uncharacteristic of the Spanish Colonial Revival style.
Pahonu mic drop. :lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#2552 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

KENJI wrote:Hi Old Dusseldorf,

I don't believe there is another more focused Pahonu thread with interior shots etc.....everything is located in this one big box. :wink: You should start one ! :D

As already discussed.......Eve Anderson didn't allow filming inside the house for Magnum PI, but the original HFO had access for a bit until they broke some floor tiles or something like that and the inside was off limits. Another theory that has been tossed around was there was no filming inside for MPI because of the condition of the interior due to her collection of animals and other stuff if you know what I mean and had nothing to do with a few broken tiles. I'm sure the animals were doing their fair share of damage too. To be fair to Eve, I have no actual proof (pics etc.) other than what we heard when the place was being sold which could be all gossip, but having said that potential buyers weren't even allowed inside to have a look around which does raise flags. Maybe she just wanted to keep her inside sanctum private as the exterior was violated on a daily basis by people looking over the fence, wall and gates or maybe she was truly embarrassed to show inside because what we heard was actually true. It doesn't matter now as the place is gone for good. This thread does have all the real interior shots from HFO dotted around on multiple pages, but I know JJ put some of them in a bundle under PICS on the main page....Anderson Estate (Pahonu) should then be visible. All of the Magnum PI interior shots filmed inside the main house and guest house are not real, but we all still love that interior as if it was the real thing. Maybe Conch can bundle all of the faux interior pics into a grouping under PICS on the main page too, but I'm sure that would take WAY too much work......why not start with the new focused thread for now.

:)
Hi Kenji,

I will probably go ahead and start a new thread at some point as it would be nice have a consolidated reference at least of actual interior shots. But I don't have anything to contribute at this point so I probably should try to at least gather a few to give it a kick-start ;) That will take a little time, which at this point I very little of so it may be a while but eventually I hope to get around to it...

As to the condition of the Anderson Estate, I guess I would be surprised if the interior had already fallen into disrepair as far back as 1980 when MPI started but we'll probably never know. Its a shame either way, but I wonder if the Ms. didn't have the money for upkeep or just didn't care.
Last edited by Old Düsseldorf on Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Düsseldorf
Lieutenant

#2553 Post by Old Düsseldorf »

I'm generally familiar with the Spanish Revival style, being a southern CA kid... So I think I get the concept of the foyer and a partially-open breezeway to the sides of what might be a front door. But I guess I'm a little confused by what appears in that scene in "By its cover" at around the 5 min mark. The camera angle looking IN towards Higgins and Magnum appears to show a living area that is furnished with carpet and furniture etc that I wouldn't really expect in a room open to the elements. It also doesn't really look like Spanish Revival decor, to me anyway.

So could it be that the camera looking OUT from where Higgins is standing inside the door is from the actual Estate foyer, but what we see in the view looking IN towards Higgins and Magnum is actually the set or faux interior? Another tell could be in the echo's in the voices noted by K Hale. If I hear it correctly, Magnum's voice doesn't echo which suggests that portion of the interior is a set. Wheres Higgins' voice does echo when he's standing next to the front door, which suggests his lines were read in the actual foyer. In this scenario, we aren't really seeing the inside of the Estate even though the camera is inside it, except for maybe the back of the doors.

Alternatively, if the interior space shown inward from the door is in fact the real Estate interior, perhaps they outfitted it with set decor and that's not actually how the Anderson's had the place set up?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2554 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:The foyer is inside. The balcony (lanai) is outside.
When you say foyer, is this the space you are referring to?

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2555 Post by Steve »

This thread has me wondering if anyone has been out there lately or has heard any updates on the property.............I hate to think that it is going to stay as it currently is........

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#2556 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote:

The reason I ask is because, in the photo below, you can clearly see that IRL, the "foyer" leads to the portico (outdoor) area facing the courtyard.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#2557 Post by Mr. Keoki »

I was out there on Saturday. There's nothing going on. Property is distressed, overgrown and dilapidated. Between my stop there in March and now someone has busted the door on the boat house in. Looks like there was some improvement on the tidal pool wall towards the southern end. Overall it looks really terrible to be honest. I find it weird that nothing is happening....
Steve wrote:This thread has me wondering if anyone has been out there lately or has heard any updates on the property.............I hate to think that it is going to stay as it currently is........
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#2558 Post by 308GUY »

Mr. Keoki:
Very disappointing news, but thank you in spades for making the trip and reporting here.

The broken door suggests vandalism...cause I just can't imagine the new owners or their "crew" doing anything like that, even if they lost the keys or something.

Maybe first step to razing it? Sure hope not! :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2559 Post by Pahonu »

Old Düsseldorf wrote:
So could it be that the camera looking OUT from where Higgins is standing inside the door is from the actual Estate foyer, but what we see in the view looking IN towards Higgins and Magnum is actually the set or faux interior? Another tell could be in the echo's in the voices noted by K Hale. If I hear it correctly, Magnum's voice doesn't echo which suggests that portion of the interior is a set. Wheres Higgins' voice does echo when he's standing next to the front door, which suggests his lines were read in the actual foyer. In this scenario, we aren't really seeing the inside of the Estate even though the camera is inside it, except for maybe the back of the doors.
Hey Old Dusseldorf,

This is correct.

Usually when the "front doors" are opened on the foyer set, a scrim is hung showing general greenery "outside". In this case they actually filmed it at the estate showing the yard outside. Maybe it was a fill in shot they needed. It's the only time I recall them doing so.

A camera was similarly placed inside the house in Distant Relative. It looks over Magnum's shoulder as he waves out the window at Higgins and Agatha flying model planes by the seawall.

I'm also a SoCal kid... nearing 50. LOL! I'm in Long Beach.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2560 Post by Pahonu »

The "foyer" of the actual house that K Hale and Old Dusseldorf have been referring to is more correctly called a zaguan. I explained it in a long ago post but just found this to help everyone understand. It's most definitely not an enclosed room. I labeled it "entry" on my floor plans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaguan

The upstairs balcony over the arcade would also not be called a lanai in Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. It would be called a balcon corrido. It's an exterior balcony replacing an interior hallway or corridor. Quite common to the style as is the stair connecting to it being open to the elements. I labeled it lanai in my floor plans though.

https://www.tripadvisor.es/LocationPhot ... ntina.html

Both of these details are reflective of the warm climate in which they originated. It helped with ventilation and cooling but would never be practical in a cold climate.

Most viewers of the show probably never realized that most of the rooms in Pahonu open directly outdoors and are connected only by exterior passages. Some rooms directly connect internally as well but not the bedrooms. Guests staying in one of the five suites at Pahonu, and they were all suites with bathrooms and dressing rooms, would wake up in the morning and have to go outside to get to the dining room for breakfast. Going from the dining room to the living room also required going back outside. Granted, these were covered corridors in very temperate Hawaii, but still outside like being on a covered porch.

Look back at the pages with my floor plans and it will be more understandable.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... start=2235 Scroll down.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#2561 Post by steveadl »

Mr. Keoki wrote:I was out there on Saturday. There's nothing going on. Property is distressed, overgrown and dilapidated. Between my stop there in March and now someone has busted the door on the boat house in. Looks like there was some improvement on the tidal pool wall towards the southern end. Overall it looks really terrible to be honest. I find it weird that nothing is happening....
Steve wrote:This thread has me wondering if anyone has been out there lately or has heard any updates on the property.............I hate to think that it is going to stay as it currently is........
They probably just wanted to knock it down asap as soon as they were granted the permit just in case objections may come once it was more widely know about the demolition.

Now that the building is gone, they can take their time on building a new mansion, sub-dividing, or just speculating on the value of the land rising.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2562 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:Both are under a roof, but neither is completely enclosed as a room. This is not uncharacteristic of the Spanish Colonial Revival style.
I think you’re misunderstanding what I mean by the foyer, or perhaps I’m using the wrong word. I mean the area inside the front door.
Last edited by K Hale on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2563 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:

Yes and no. That picture shows the soundstage set. But “By Its Cover” shows *that area of the house’s interior* in real life.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2564 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:
ENSHealy wrote:

The reason I ask is because, in the photo below, you can clearly see that IRL, the "foyer" leads to the portico (outdoor) area facing the courtyard.

Yes yes yes. What I was calling the foyer is the area inside the front doors, which you can glimpse behind Higgie Baby there.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2565 Post by K Hale »

308GUY wrote:Mr. Keoki:
Very disappointing news, but thank you in spades for making the trip and reporting here.

The broken door suggests vandalism...cause I just can't imagine the new owners or their "crew" doing anything like that, even if they lost the keys or something.

Maybe first step to razing it? Sure hope not! :geek:
It would be very easy to go over the fence facing the beach and break in. Done at night, who would see?I’m surprised it hasn’t happened before this.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!