Remember to take your VM02 Da Nang hat off in Chinatown

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Seattle Magnum
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remember to take your VM02 Da Nang hat off in Chinatown

#1 Post by Seattle Magnum »

A small piece of advice, I wear a VM02 Da Nang unit hat on Hawaii trips for TM, does not play well in Chinatown! My wife finally figured out why we were getting funny looks and rude service, turned it around backwards all was good, I guess a Detroit Tigers hat would have been more appropriate. As a Mariner's fan I just couldn't. Aloha!!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Remember to take your VM02 Da Nang hat off in Chinatown

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

Seattle Magnum wrote:A small piece of advice, I wear a VM02 Da Nang unit hat on Hawaii trips for TM, does not play well in Chinatown! My wife finally figured out why we were getting funny looks and rude service, turned it around backwards all was good, I guess a Detroit Tigers hat would have been more appropriate. As a Mariner's fan I just couldn't. Aloha!!
You just made sure I'll wear my Da Nang cap now. :evil:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Seattle Magnum wrote:A small piece of advice, I wear a VM02 Da Nang unit hat on Hawaii trips for TM, does not play well in Chinatown! My wife finally figured out why we were getting funny looks and rude service, turned it around backwards all was good, I guess a Detroit Tigers hat would have been more appropriate. As a Mariner's fan I just couldn't. Aloha!!
Seattle Magnum,
I recall listening to a Canadian radio show and they pointed out the surprising number of ex Viet Cong living in America, especially Hawaii, in its Chinatown etc. I dont know how I feel about that intellectually(the war has been over for 40 years so maybe get over it by now), but my heart says who was the SOB who let them in, as opposed to our Vietnamese allies.
Where do they get off being rude to Seattle Magnum when they should get on their knees and be grateful just to be here. And just how many of these newly minted patriots, now someones sweet old grandfather, killed our boys?
I know the above sounds terrible for me to say and not in the spirit of the Statue of Liberty, but if tonight 3 spirits of our KIA soldiers were to haunt me like Scrooge, I would feel hard put to explain to them why ex VC and/or their sons are free to insult Americans here.
Poor VC. When the war ended the NVA held a big victory parade and when the VC units had done their passby, they were immediately disarmed and many senior officers arrested on the spot.
The Northerners from Hanoi didnt want there to be any potential opposition as they remade the country, so they murdered senior VC cadres - some of whom were more Nationalist than Communist - and sent others to re-education camps. My friend Hong, ex ARVN, told me his opposite number in the local VC wound up sharing the same blanket with him in one of the camps, for 2 years.
Hong thought the joke was on his bunkie, but maybe now its on us.

Bob12706
Ensign

#4 Post by Bob12706 »

“Get on their knees”? Really! You are also unable to explain the right to free speech? I’d really like to debate you, but I learned early that you can’t reason with idiocy. Just smile & hope they go away. :D

Bob12706
Ensign

#5 Post by Bob12706 »

Also, people don’t wage war, governments do. When did your neighbor, or you, put together an army to attack or defend another country? 99.99% of the people in a war don’t want to be there.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Bob12706 wrote:“Get on their knees”? Really! You are also unable to explain the right to free speech? I’d really like to debate you, but I learned early that you can’t reason with idiocy. Just smile & hope they go away. :D
Bobby,
First of all, we have standards here and the adults play nice, it isn't some progressive day school where the kiddies hurl the contents of their diaper about.
So don't get your drawers in a bunch over what you wrongly perceive as a 'right to free speech' issue. Relax, take a deep breath.
Lets review, shall we?
Your take is that immigrants from a foreign land, a former enemy no less that is so regressive politically it still has a Communist government, should be able to willy nilly insult our armed forces, or anyone sporting military symbols that honor same, in this case a Vietnam War era cap? Who have no sense of gratitude for being here though it turned out - oopsy, our bad! - their side turned out to be tyrants who jailed or KILLED their own people, the VC, right after the Victory Parade?
Here's an idea. Why don't you hie over to the Punchbowl, the "Puowaina" or Hill of Sacrifice in Hawaiian. Now select the grave of some 19 year old American warrior, say a kid from Honolulu.
Tell him how some ex VC or NVA Communist soldier(only one of them would have recognized the meaning of a VMO2 Da Nang cap AND took offense at it) who very well could have been the one who killed him, is in your opinion entitled to take umbrage at said symbol. And how this same once enemy is now enjoying the bounties of being an American citizen on the Honolulu streets he deprived this dead Hawaiian soldier of enjoying life on.
Because who cares about this sap Hawaiian who didn't have the juice to get multiple draft deferments or even worse volunteered! His mother's broken heart at the empty chair every holiday and the grand kids that were never born, frig her too, she's gotta be dead by now anyway.
Ain't got time for them, why don't we hold a parade honoring the Communists, I can see the banners now, "All the way with the NVA".
Damn, I'm getting misty here at the thought.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

So Bob joins the site today and digs up a 4 year old thread to defend the VC? :roll:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by K Hale »

Let’s all sit down and rewatch “The Eighth Part of the Village.” :)
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#9 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Our world is filled with rage, especially internet rage. We don’t want it here. You don’t have to agree, but you must be civil. Name calling and insult is for another place. Everyone is welcome until they burn up their welcome.
Faith and Begorrah!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:So Bob joins the site today and digs up a 4 year old thread to defend the VC? :roll:
Hi MagnumsleftShoulder,
Not only that but his 3 posts were all directed at me in two different forums, out of all the myriad possible threads to start reading for a "new" member, which is highly unlikely.
Only I am not sure "new" is the case. I might have inadvertently brought back a former poster we all thought was history but like Dracula has risen again.
Given that out of the blue "Bob" posted

"I’d really like to debate you, but I learned early that you can’t reason with idiocy. Just smile & hope they go away"

I felt the style/dismissive tone could be that of Braddah Kimo. It's not what some fan excitedly discovering the best Magnum site in the world and wanting to introduce himself to the membership would post. Given his obsession with Magnum Mania in the past, Kimo would have continued to have monitored the posts though he had been exiled. So when I recently posted

"As I understand it Braddah Kimo was a middle aged white guy from San Diego pretending to be a Hawaiian nationalist.
That has to be a first in the history of mankind. As the Aussies say, 'he's got kangaroos in the top paddock'."

Braddah opted to retaliate. If that is the case I don't think we will hear from "Bob" again though he "really wanted to debate me".
Maybe I shouldn't have stirred the possum to begin with and let sleeping Braddahs lie.

"I'm Chinese. I'm a stone. I go where I am kicked"...France Nuyen, stoic Existentialist Primitive and uber-babe actress from the 1960's
(Star Trek fans will warmly recall her)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

We have done a good job over the years discussing sensitive topics ion a respectful way. I will send Bob a warning regarding how he handles himself in the forum.

It seems that more shit stirrers are showing up. What that says about fans of the reboot? Far be it from me to draw any conclusions. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#12 Post by rasgards »

I've spent considerable time in the Honolulu Chinatown and this seems like the biggest load of horse sh!t I've heard in a while. Probably Russian hackers sent to destroy the Magnum Mania forum. Resist my brothers and sisters! :magnum:
Ras G

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by K Hale »

Related question. Is there really a Little Saigon somewhere in Honolulu, or was that made up for the show?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

K Hale wrote:Related question. Is there really a Little Saigon somewhere in Honolulu, or was that made up for the show?
Nope, there's no Little Saigon. Just plain old Chinatown. In fact I was surprised to hear there were Viet Cong living in Honolulu, as mentioned by the OP. If there are it has to be a VERY small number.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
K Hale wrote:Related question. Is there really a Little Saigon somewhere in Honolulu, or was that made up for the show?
Nope, there's no Little Saigon. Just plain old Chinatown. In fact I was surprised to hear there were Viet Cong living in Honolulu, as mentioned by the OP. If there are it has to be a VERY small number.

Hi Ivan,
When I responded to Seattle Magnum's post years ago, I wrote:
" I recall listening to a Canadian radio show and they pointed out the surprising number of ex Viet Cong living in America, especially Hawaii, in its Chinatown etc"

That info took me off guard as how could we take in ex enemies(soldiers!) while people from friendly nations wait to arrive here? If it was 50, 500, 5,000 or 50,000, I don't know, but any amount 'surprised' and annoyed me, as I explained in a later post wherein in response to Bob I drew a picture of how unfair it would be to let ex NVA enjoy the USA/ Hawaii while American soldiers they killed(in this case a Honolulu kid) were buried nearby.
Especially when they belatedly realized they were in fact on the Bad Guys Team all along, YET still gave Seattle Magnum garbage.
So if one embraced Bobs thinking lets go all the way and throw them a parade.
  The ex Communist officer in the Canadian radio story, telling of ex NVA/VC  in the US and Canada, I recall very well because of his historical importance. His name is Colonel  Bui Tin and when the NVA tanks rolled into the presidential palace in Saigon, in April, 1975, he was the senior officer present and took the surrender of the last South Vietnamese president, Big Minh.  Tin was the guy who officially ended the war on behalf of his masters back in Hanoi.
   So where does Tin wind up? he flees to the West, denounces Hanoi and talks warmly of numbers of his ex fellow soldiers living in Toronto, Australia, Hawaii, California etc.  
I can understand how ex VC(but not NVA), being South Vietnamese, could sneak in by lying about who their war time service was for and then stay on
the down low. 
But openly giving Seattle Magnum guff once they settled here, that irked me. Bygones should be bygones, once enemy states are now our vital allies, but the circumstances of what Seattle Magnum described hit a nerve.
NYC Homicide cops say "we speak for the dead" when they are asked why they go all out solving the death of some forgotten person with no family.
  I felt the same thing about our seemingly forgotten guys - by Bob and his ilk - who died in that war, and tried in my own small way to wake up Bob about his comments.
It was little enough, a few minutes to pen some lines, as I thought it was an injustice to the memory of our guys, who are now buried deep, forever more buried deep.
  If people have a problem with that, so be it.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.