Complete Magnum, P.I. DVD Set

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Danno
Fleet Admiral

Complete Magnum, P.I. DVD Set

#1 Post by Danno »

Guys,
What do you think the chances are of once they finally release Season 8, that they'll release a 'complete' set of all eight seasons plus some extra stuff?

Do you think it's likely?
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi Dan

The 'Complete Box Set' will probably be available at some point. The "extras" are the big question mark. So far, there have been no real extras at all -- no interviews, no commentary, no behind the scenes footage, nothin', nada, zippo. If they are going to do it, Season 8 seems like the best bet. It's the last season and the shortest (only 13 episodes). They could easily add two discs of bonus material and make it the same "size" as the rest.

I really hope they at least bring the major cast & crew back for a reunion of some sort.

We'll see ....
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#3 Post by Shermy »

The big trend right now seems to be including pre-existing extras (ie. tv movies; specials; rare pilots; etc.) with complete boxsets. Unfortunately, I don't believe there has ever been such a reunion for the cast of Magnum.

If Universal produces any new extras, they usually do it with the first season and then quickly drop the approach. But since Season 8 is so short, I'm sure someone at Universal will push for them to produce something to increase the set's appeal. Even if it's just a short interview with Selleck, that would be really cool to see. They used that approach with James Garner and Rockford, so it's entirely possible.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

An original teaser for Season 8 has been posted to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHb3QkMmD8

(Gotta give credit to ColGreen for finding this!)

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Danno »

Shermy, that rocked.
Thanks for posting it. 8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, a real Season 8 promo clip! Very cool. Thanks Sherm! "But Thomas is dead, right?" Ha! :)

Waltstasz
Admiral

#7 Post by Waltstasz »

Would you guys buy the boxed set?

Unless there are some incredible special features that are exclusive to the boxed set I don't think that I could justify spending a lot of money it. I've already been buying the individual seasons as they are released.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

I would probably buy it if they upgraded the first four seasons to single-disc dvds. Aside from that, probably not.

But has Universal released any complete sets (for any series) at this point?

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by grapeshot »

I can't think of too many 6 or more season complete box sets of ANY shows. At some point the complete series box set becomes too cumbersome to package and handle. My observation generally has been that only series that have 1 or 2, or possibly 3 seasons get the complete box set treatment. OR there'll be a box set if they're short seasons, like some cable shows, or the British or Canadian shows.

I'm not too hopeful that there'll be any special extras ever made. Producing them ain't free, and if any cast or crew members are still active in the business it can be hard to get them to find the time or to show any interest. The more time that has passed, the less likely that cast and crew members are to remember anything specific, or to think that there's anything interesting that they can say. (Yes, we know that's not true, but that's what they may think. For them it was just a gig, you know, and they've done a lot of other work since, and time dims memories.)

On the other hand, maybe Universal will do something special just to hype the new Magnum movie.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#10 Post by Shermy »

Paramount is releasing sets for Brady Bunch (5 seasons) and The Andy Griffith Show (8 seasons), and of course there are more recent examples such as Friends (8 seasons). But I'm not really expecting Magnum to get a similar treatment, as it hasn't been syndicated quite as often as those examples.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hi grapeshot! Welcome to Magnum Mania!

Good point about the box set and the number of seasons.

I just hope they put out something. If they can't get some of the gang back in the studio for a couple of hours to record some interviews, at the very least have an editor put together some 'making of', or 'blooper' footage from the reels that are just lying around collecting dust. Throw in the already completed E! True Hollywood Story doc. Anything.

But you're right. It doesn't look good. :cry: