Shapeways Team Ring

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

Shapeways Team Ring

#1 Post by perfectlykevin »

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HTPDA ... ing-size-9

Brass and look pretty good. :) No intention of buying one as I have a gold and a steel version but I do like the look of those "old gold"/Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii versions.

Thoughts?

Kev

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Re: Shapeways Team Ring

#2 Post by N1095A »

I did a little research on the Shapeways ring a few weeks ago. Turns out the brass will turn your finger black unless you coat it with clear nail polish, and you have to paint the black part around the cross yourself unless you purchase a separate black plastic insert. I believe the original rings were brass, as they dont quite look like gold, I'm sure they weren't worn long enough to turn anyone's finger black. I'm leaning toward a 14k gold plated silver ring. I have a really nice stainless steel one currently. It is very nice, and I get a lot of compliments on it, but it just isn't the same as a gold colored one.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by perfectlykevin »

N1095A wrote:I did a little research on the Shapeways ring a few weeks ago. Turns out the brass will turn your finger black unless you coat it with clear nail polish, and you have to paint the black part around the cross yourself unless you purchase a separate black plastic insert. I believe the original rings were brass, as they dont quite look like gold, I'm sure they weren't worn long enough to turn anyone's finger black. I'm leaning toward a 14k gold plated silver ring. I have a really nice stainless steel one currently. It is very nice, and I get a lot of compliments on it, but it just isn't the same as a gold colored one.

I have one from Robbie from several years ago, and a steel one from eBay. I wear the steel one way more just because I prefer the color of a silver-ish metal to gold. I would love to have one made in titanium some day but I think the cost would be outrageous! :)

I found the Shapeways and thought it was interesting. I'm not a fan of brass myself but figure it could give others options :)

N1095A

#4 Post by N1095A »

Robbie is a Facebook friend of mine. Hes not making them right now, but he might make one for me. His are the best out there.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by perfectlykevin »

N1095A wrote:Robbie is a Facebook friend of mine. Hes not making them right now, but he might make one for me. His are the best out there.
I agree, his are. I've had a few from time to time, and his I believe are made right from the original casts. His gold one I use more as a display piece as I really wouldn't want to subject it to daily abuse. That and I'm not really a daily ring wearer aside from my wedding ring :)

N1095A

#6 Post by N1095A »

Robbie is a fan of the show. He's made rings for Tom, Roger. And Larry. He's a heck of a good guy too.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by perfectlykevin »

N1095A wrote:Robbie is a fan of the show. He's made rings for Tom, Roger. And Larry. He's a heck of a good guy too.

Amen to that, Robbie is a heck of a guy :)

Teamringcollector
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#8 Post by Teamringcollector »

The first season rings where made of brass. When the show got picket up they made the rings of gold. They did have stunt rings used through out the show that where made of brass. The screen used ring I bought from Larry Manetti is made of gold...

I did a little research on the Shapeways ring a few weeks ago. Turns out the brass will turn your finger black unless you coat it with clear nail polish, and you have to paint the black part around the cross yourself unless you purchase a separate black plastic insert. I believe the original rings were brass, as they dont quite look like gold, I'm sure they weren't worn long enough to turn anyone's finger black. I'm leaning toward a 14k gold plated silver ring. I have a really nice stainless steel one currently. It is very nice, and I get a lot of compliments on it, but it just isn't the same as a gold colored one.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

perfectlykevin wrote:
N1095A wrote:Robbie is a fan of the show. He's made rings for Tom, Roger. And Larry. He's a heck of a good guy too.

Robbie just listed one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnum-PI-Cros ... 2516.l5255

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:

Robbie just listed one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnum-PI-Cros ... 2516.l5255
And in addition to Robbie's ring, I just noticed that old MM member Marco is selling part of his collection. It's fun to look at least: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=marcos24&_sop=10

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote: And in addition to Robbie's ring, I just noticed that old MM member Marco is selling part of his collection. It's fun to look at least: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=marcos24&_sop=10
Thanks for this. He’s got a hell of a collection.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: And in addition to Robbie's ring, I just noticed that old MM member Marco is selling part of his collection. It's fun to look at least: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=marcos24&_sop=10
Thanks for this. He’s got a hell of a collection.
You're welcome Styles, glad you liked it. :D I agree, he has a great collection.... I saw a few things I'd like. I have "Magnum PI" as a saved search on eBay so these came up in my feed... unfortunately today I see that photos of a topless Jay Hernandez are now infiltrating it. :evil: