The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2251 Post by Kevster »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote:Hi Pahonu,

Question.....
Did you ever figure out the dimensions of each room? It wouldn't be hard to get a fairly accurate idea of the dimensions, but it would take a bit of time, just wondering if you've already done this research and would be willing to share it with the gang. :wink: :D
(Posting for Pahonu) Here you go, KENJI...

BTW... The outstanding job done on this floor plan is amazing. KUDOS!!!

The "Powder Room" off the end of the "Terrace" (top image) would normally be called a "Cabana Bath." The naming of a bath may be subjective or regional, and subtle differences with bath configurations that happen to have exterior (or exterior ONLY) access can also influence the right term/name. However, this one would definitely qualify if there truly is no interior access to it and it's on the ground floor.

Anyway, Cabana Baths are usually associated with POOLS in many locales. Clearly, the design of any home may plan for a pool that is never added. This also still applies as it has a MASSIVE POOL known as the Pacific Ocean.

I hope that muddies everything nicely.
Trust Me!!!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2252 Post by Pahonu »

Kevster wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote:Hi Pahonu,

Question.....
Did you ever figure out the dimensions of each room? It wouldn't be hard to get a fairly accurate idea of the dimensions, but it would take a bit of time, just wondering if you've already done this research and would be willing to share it with the gang. :wink: :D
(Posting for Pahonu) Here you go, KENJI...

BTW... The outstanding job done on this floor plan is amazing. KUDOS!!!

The "Powder Room" off the end of the "Terrace" (top image) would normally be called a "Cabana Bath." The naming of a bath may be subjective or regional, and subtle differences with bath configurations that happen to have exterior (or exterior ONLY) access can also influence the right term/name. However, this one would definitely qualify if there truly is no interior access to it and it's on the ground floor.

Anyway, Cabana Baths are usually associated with POOLS in many locales. Clearly, the design of any home may plan for a pool that is never added. This also still applies as it has a MASSIVE POOL known as the Pacific Ocean.

I hope that muddies everything nicely.
Hey Kevster,

Thanks for the compliment.

Rather ironically, I've never heard the term cabana bath even though I've used one more than once! A friend of my wife has a huge pool/outdoor entertaining space with a bar and grill, waterfall, water slide, and an actual hut-like cabana. It's over the top. When we are over, they have two cabana baths. One that we change in and is unattached to the house, and another that leads into their master bathroom that they use. Also, a friend of mine lives in the Belmont Shore neighborhood of Long Beach about 50 yards from the sand. If you walk down a narrow side yard of there home, there is an outdoor shower behind a wall, and it has a door leading into the downstairs powder room. It's nice to get the sand and saltwater off outside and step inside to change out of your trunks. I've seen more than one outdoor shower in the neighborhood.

Pahonu does have the bath house in the rear courtyard with changing rooms, but it may not have a bathroom. Either way, the powder room in the ell is like most of the other rooms in the house in that it opens to the outdoors from the lanais rather than interior halls. It's also quite large, at 10x10 feet so I speculate it may be compartmentalized with a toilet room and a separate space with sink and mirror for guests to "freshen up", as they say. That kind of generous dressing room/toilet room seems quite common in many of the larger historic home plans I've studied. They tend to be off of the front door, however. This one is clearly near the beach gate, as is the bar. Nice! :D Some really large historic home plans even show separate men's and women's spaces by the entrance.

Pahonu

#2253 Post by Pahonu »

Bondtoys.de wrote:
Pahonu wrote: The value of that property was almost exclusively the land. I think the selling price reflects that
Thanks Pahonu, that sums it up pretty good.

Personally I find some of the outrage and the speculations of a Hawaiian-Chicago conspiracy out of line and ridiculous.

I am certainly not happy about the fact that Pahonu has been leveled, but we really needed some reality-checks here.

Here, here, as J.Q.H. might say. :higgins:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2254 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:
Pahonu does have the bath house in the rear courtyard with changing rooms, but it may not have a bathroom. Either way, the powder room in the ell is like most of the other rooms in the house in that it opens to the outdoors from the lanais rather than interior halls. It's also quite large, at 10x10 feet so I speculate it may be compartmentalized with a toilet room and a separate space with sink and mirror for guests to "freshen up", as they say. That kind of generous dressing room/toilet room seems quite common in many of the larger historic home plans I've studied. They tend to be off of the front door, however. This one is clearly near the beach gate, as is the bar. Nice! :D Some really large historic home plans even show separate men's and women's spaces by the entrance.
Hi Pahonu!

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that for the pug parties and other functions such as a high school reunion Eve hosted, the guests were directed to use the "bathing pavilion" behind the house since they weren't permitted inside the house... so both the men's & women's sides must've had at least one bathroom.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2255 Post by J.J. Walters »

Pahonu, that is an incredible piece of work there! As usual, you never cease to amaze. Thank you for doing that. The Estate may be gone, but all it's details will now live on for forever! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2256 Post by KENJI »

THANK-YOU so much Pahonu -INCREDIBLE!!!! :D :D
Thanks for posting RG, much appreciated!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2257 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Hi Pahonu!

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that for the pug parties and other functions such as a high school reunion Eve hosted, the guests were directed to use the "bathing pavilion" behind the house since they weren't permitted inside the house... so both the men's & women's sides must've had at least one bathroom.
You're right RG!
Eve had her guests use the bathing pavilion, no idea on how many bathrooms were in there though.

Pahonu

#2258 Post by Pahonu »

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I recall seeing an image that showed a door on one side of the bathing pavilion labeled women. You could just see the changing stalls inside, wood framed, I think. So the other side is presumably for men, and there is definitely a door on the other side seen in a different picture. My guess would be at least one bathroom, probably two between the changing rooms. The plat drawing shows it as a narrow, but very long building, perhaps 10 or 12 feet by 40+. I'll have to look more closely at it and check the precise dimensions. It also has many vent windows, or maybe just vents like the garage. How many pics of it do we have? I've never spent much time on it other than drawing a basic rectangle in the space with a shed roof. Something new to think about...

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2259 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:

I recall seeing an image that showed a door on one side of the bathing pavilion labeled women. You could just see the changing stalls inside, wood framed, I think. So the other side is presumably for men, and there is definitely a door on the other side seen in a different picture. My guess would be at least one bathroom, probably two between the changing rooms. The plat drawing shows it as a narrow, but very long building, perhaps 10 or 12 feet by 40+. I'll have to look more closely at it and check the precise dimensions. It also has many vent windows, or maybe just vents like the garage. How many pics of it do we have? I've never spent much time on it other than drawing a basic rectangle in the space with a shed roof. Something new to think about...
Exactly Pahonu! :D That's what I meant by "... so both the men's & women's sides must've had at least one bathroom". Here are the pics that we're both referring to...

And video of the vented windows from Unhappy Dan starting here: https://youtu.be/PuBtNXz2zDw?t=2m26s

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2260 Post by KENJI »

Two bathrooms makes the most sense (one on each side), but maybe Eve added a couple over the years who knows. I think two would be a safe bet for the original design. Sharing a bathroom in the middle of the change rooms would've created a few embarrassing moments/close calls and we are talking the 1930's when everyone one was prim and proper. What do you think Pahonu?

I wonder when Eve installed the 8 plastic bubble skylights as I highly doubt they were around in the 30's.
I do remember them on the dark roof that she replaced approx. 5 yrs. ago, so I'm guessing sometime between the 1970's/80's would make the most sense. Can anyone else narrow it down some more?

Pahonu

#2261 Post by Pahonu »

I measured the plat and the bathing pavilion is 12 x 44 feet externally. That gives an interior of 10 x 42 subtracting for the 12 inch thick walls. Using the photos, I put together a preliminary plan of what the layout might be. It allows for a men's and women's changing space of 10 x 18 with four rooms of about 4 to 5 x 5 feet each. I have only drawn one bathroom with a small connecting hall between for privacy. Fitting two bathrooms doesn't easily fit given the vent spacing from the photo, and would mean one less changing room each side. Having two is possible, I think. I would have to play around with that and move some vents, I guess. This seems to work well, though.

I'll send RG some drawings based on the photos and some others to see both inside and out of the whole structure.

Hey Kenji,

You're absolutely right. Plastic skylights were unheard of in the 30's. Plastic in general was rare. Bakelite, like the old black telephones, was the very first plastic and that was a little over 100 years ago. LOL! I just thought of the scene in The Graduate when William Daniels tells Dustin Hoffman the future is in plastics. :lol: That was the 60's. He was right, though, and now it's littering the land and oceans. :(

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2262 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:I measured the plat and the bathing pavilion is 12 x 44 feet externally. That gives an interior of 10 x 42 subtracting for the 12 inch thick walls. Using the photos, I put together a preliminary plan of what the layout might be. It allows for a men's and women's changing space of 10 x 18 with four rooms of about 4 to 5 x 5 feet each. I have only drawn one bathroom with a small connecting hall between for privacy. Fitting two bathrooms doesn't easily fit given the vent spacing from the photo, and would mean one less changing room each side. Having two is possible, I think. I would have to play around with that and move some vents, I guess. This seems to work well, though.

I'll send RG some drawings based on the photos and some others to see both inside and out of the whole structure.

Hey Kenji,

You're absolutely right. Plastic skylights were unheard of in the 30's. Plastic in general was rare. Bakelite, like the old black telephones, was the very first plastic and that was a little over 100 years ago. LOL! I just thought of the scene in The Graduate when William Daniels tells Dustin Hoffman the future is in plastics. :lol: That was the 60's. He was right, though, and now it's littering the land and oceans. :(
Hey Pahonu,
Thanks for the dimensions of the bath house.
I was looking at the pic with the Women sign posted outside and I was trying to count the stalls on that one side and I think I'm counting 5 there (unless my eyes are messing with me AGAIN :wink: ). I was wondering if one or two of those stalls are actual toilets with the others being change rooms. Also, assuming there were 5 stalls, then a 3ft width would be more accurate with a possible communal sink/mirror section just behind that door to speak for the other approx. 3 feet. I like your theory too of one maybe two small bathroom stalls located in the middle as that lines up nicely with the space between each group of 4 skylights.....still not convinced it was a shared bathroom with a hallway, but you would know better than me. :D The vent locations are an interesting piece of the puzzle with where they are located and how everything fits together. I guess a few curtains might be in there blocking the view inside so that might help keep things a bit more flexible with the layout. What do you think P?
Looking forward to your prelim drawings!

I agree with you and William :wink: :lol: about what plastics are doing to the land and oceans, very sad indeed!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2263 Post by eagle »

WOW - I come back and now we have the full floorplan! So very neat. Thanks, Pahonu/RG!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2264 Post by K Hale »

Question. I hope this makes sense: How well does Robin's Nest correlate with the Pahonu floor plan? Are there parts of the sound stage sets that do not line up properly or are impossible given the posted floor plan?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2265 Post by eagle »

K Hale wrote:Question. I hope this makes sense: How well does Robin's Nest correlate with the Pahonu floor plan? Are there parts of the sound stage sets that do not line up properly or are impossible given the posted floor plan?
Well, we know that Magnum's guest house is not at all like the boat house. I have the same question about the main house.