which brand of surf ski (kayak) did Magnum ude in the show?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: which brand of surf ski (kayak) did Magnum ude in the sh

#16 Post by Michelle_Hue »

Aloha everyone,

Thought my fellow Magnum fans might be interested in seeing this...
I live on Maui, and I recently noticed this listing on Hawaii Craigslist - claims to be surfskis from Magnum P.I....Wowza!

I know that Magnum's surfski was a Hayden model, however Magnum's surfski on the show was a pink 'stoneware' background with a dark green striped border & chevron stripe near the front.

None of this guys surfskis have that pink background - and why would someone have ever changed Magnum's surfski with a different paint color/design knowing that it was a collectible item from a famous show? So I am a little skeptical of the claim that these were used as Magnum's surfski.

What do you guys think?

Here is the listing:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/spo ... 09423.html

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Michelle_Hue wrote:Aloha everyone,

I live on Maui, and I recently noticed this listing on Hawaii Craigslist - claims to be surfskis from Magnum P.I....Wowza!

I know that Magnum's surfski was a Hayden model, however Magnum's surfski on the show was a pink 'stoneware' background with a dark green striped border & chevron stripe near the front.

None of this guys surfskis have that pink background - and why would someone have ever changed Magnum's surfski with a different paint color/design knowing that it was a collectible item from a famous show? So I am a little skeptical of the claim that these were used as Magnum's surfski.

What do you guys think?

Here is the listing:

Thanks for posting and welcome Michelle! I think the poster will need to present abut more evidence to support that claim. They don’t look the same to me, albeit a non-surf ski expert!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KENJI »

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for posting the ad.
I would say not a match based on this pic and your supporting comments.........

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Kevster »

KENJI wrote:Hi Michelle,

Thanks for posting the ad.
I would say not a match based on this pic and your supporting comments.........

What's the logo to the rear of TS's arm? That looks like a logo of sorts.
Trust Me!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by 308GUY »

It's the cross of Lorrain.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Kevster »

Ahhh... The unit crest made it onto the surf ski too...

A quick look at the surf ski brands of today shows that they've evolved A LOT since the early 80's.

Just like all of us. :D
Trust Me!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Sam »

Michelle_Hue wrote:Aloha everyone,

What do you guys think?

Here is the listing:

Hi Michelle_Wie....thanks for posting.... the last I heard location manager Randy Spangler owned one of the surf skis.. I believe Dave Romas reported seeing it..

The surf ski in your first picture resembles this one...rudder pedals and seat well forward...

http://magnum-mania.com/images/opening_ ... 1_full.jpg

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by Michelle_Hue »

You're very welcome, guys, and thanks for the replies.

I wrote to the seller yesterday asking for more info, and he wrote back to me. Here is his reply:

"Hi,

They were at the house in Waimanalo that was used as the set when I bought them, and I was told by the seller that they are from the show.

All the best!
Tom"

So apparently these surfskis came from Pahonu/"Robin's Nest", before it was demolished recently (ughhhh...). I tend to believe him when he says he acquired them there, but still not fully sold on the idea that any of them were used by Magnum himself.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Kevster »

I can't think they used one surf ski for all the episodes where TM rode one. That had to use more than one, but I can't seem to recall any the DIDN'T have that front "fin" on it.

I also don't remember TM doing a whole lot of time on the water after about the 4th season or so. It may just be my memory, but I think that the show shifted away from that as we got into Magnum 2.0.
Trust Me!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Sam »

Kevster wrote:I can't think they used one surf ski for all the episodes where TM rode one. That had to use more than one, but I can't seem to recall any the DIDN'T have that front "fin" on it.

I also don't remember TM doing a whole lot of time on the water after about the 4th season or so. It may just be my memory, but I think that the show shifted away from that as we got into Magnum 2.0.
Hi Kevster....I know the surfski was used in season 7..Death and Taxes...
Not sure if this is a different surfski or not...the pictures in this threadshow different markings...notice a chevron in the picture...vs a straight line at the rudder pedals.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/452822937505772697/

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by KENJI »

Here is one pic of Thomas on a yellow surf ski, but it still looks different.....note the red stripe.

His go to ski was the other one with the green chevron though.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Kevster »

After 30 years, any colored decals would be LONG GONE. They'd be off-white at best, but likely peeled/scraped off.

I hate the fact that the show is 30-years gone... <sigh>
Trust Me!!!

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#28 Post by Michelle_Hue »

KENJI wrote:Here is one pic of Thomas on a yellow surf ski, but it still looks different.....note the red stripe.

His go to ski was the other one with the green chevron though.
Holy cow, Kenji....Great find!
That surfski in your Magnum pic looks like could be one in the guy's listing. Note the attached "canvas" cover toward the front in the Magnum pic and in the ones in a couple surfskis the listing. Maybe it's the same surfski?
Last edited by Michelle_Hue on Mon May 28, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Sam »

Hi Michelle_Hue...
The footwells don't match... the one that's for sale has deeper wells...I think???

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#30 Post by Michelle_Hue »

Sam wrote:Hi Michelle_Hue...
The footwells don't match... the one that's for sale has deeper wells...I think???
The "hammerhead nose" one also as a 'canvas' bag attached, it is looking to me like it could be a match.