Fig Newtons and Milk

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Fig Newtons and Milk

#1 Post by T.Q. »

When I was a kid I used to get my mom to buy fig newtons.

Used to dunk ‘em in milk and pretend I was on a case.

Still think of Magnum when I see fig newtons.

Any food or drink reminds you of Magnum P.I.? :magnum:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fig Newtons and Milk

#2 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Fig Newtons have also always reminded me of Magnum, but I've never actually wanted to eat them. I've always been rather disgusted by Magnum's choice of food. I think Higgins' food was much more appetizing. In fact, the lads had better food than Magnum.

I do make soft tacos which I always call "Macho tacos" (and I usually have them with a nice bottle of Bordeaux), but the tacos have chicken in them instead of ground beef.

I should try to make Higgins' escabeche of young partridge - and then salt the hell out of it.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Reef monkey »

I used to eat fig newtons as a kid, but of course I also used to like Mrs. Paul's fish sticks and Chef Boyardee beef ravioli. I agree with Mad Buck, Magnum's diet is appalling. But I guess after being used to Navy food, and C-rations (or worse, LRP ration) in Vietnam, along with the whole reverting to his lost adolescence, it makes sense. Here in Houston there is a local hot dog chain that's been around since the 1920s, James Coney Island, which is famous for its chili dogs. Eating those reminds me of Magnum. And certain older sushi places that are decorated a certain way remind me of the aesthetic of the show.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

Beer :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

Sam wrote:Beer :lol:
Yep, couldn’t wait to drink Old Düsseldorf when I became of age. So disappointed when I found out it wasn’t real.

Still think of Magnum when I see a Coors bottle.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by K Hale »

Fig Newtons are forever tied to Magnum for me. I've eaten the things, but they're really not that great.

I suspect Magnum's diet is more due to lack of skill and laziness than actual choice. There were two or three occasions where he ate or wanted to eat the lads' sirloin and a couple of times where he wound up eating something fancy that Higgins had made (Eighth Part of the Village, On Face Value, the escobeche episode) and certainly enjoyed it.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

"Cheeseburger, plain" is a Magnum thing for me along with fig newtons. I don't know about fig newtons, but the plain cheeseburger is a Tom Selleck thing. He's ordered it that way on Blue Bloods and some other stuff he's been in.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Fig Newtons have also always reminded me of Magnum, but I've never actually wanted to eat them. I've always been rather disgusted by Magnum's choice of food. I think Higgins' food was much more appetizing. In fact, the lads had better food than Magnum.

I do make soft tacos which I always call "Macho tacos" (and I usually have them with a nice bottle of Bordeaux), but the tacos have chicken in them instead of ground beef.

I should try to make Higgins' escabeche of young partridge - and then salt the hell out of it.
I think Magnum’s choice of food may be partly because he never had any money.

I know he genuinely liked his chili dogs and junk food but also enjoyed fine wine, cognac, and wanted to devour Higgin’s caviar and more expensive fare.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:"Cheeseburger, plain" is a Magnum thing for me along with fig newtons. I don't know about fig newtons, but the plain cheeseburger is a Tom Selleck thing. He's ordered it that way on Blue Bloods and some other stuff he's been in.
Didn’t he eat hotdogs plain too?

Just a dog in a bun?

I know he liked chili dogs but seem to remember as a teen I ate them plain at times à la Magnum.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by K Hale »

It seems like he may have made plain hot dogs for Lily? but I'm pretty sure he always put chili on his own.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by T.Q. »

Peanut Butter Chocolate ice cream.

Also one of my faves.

Always think of "A Love That Lies". :magnum:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Fig Newtons with milk and Dogs, for sure. Pickled eggs out of a convenience store jar not far behind. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Mr. Keoki
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Mr. Keoki »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:Fig Newtons have also always reminded me of Magnum, but I've never actually wanted to eat them. I've always been rather disgusted by Magnum's choice of food. I think Higgins' food was much more appetizing. In fact, the lads had better food than Magnum.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Classic

Fig Newtons and milk.....no thanks. I didn't mind them as a kid, but when I eat a cookie now I want something with chocolate, PB, or both in it (same for ice cream)

I do like chili dogs. I also like a cold COOPS beer to go with it.
Mr. Keoki

"He was Hawaiian. I'm not very good with these names, It ended with an oki or lani"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumILWU »

Yes, of course! Fig Newtons(Nabisco calls them just Newtons now!), hot dog/chili dogs, popcorn, pepperoni pizza, take out Mexican and Chinese food. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! And anyone who says they are too old, or have too much class to eat food like this, is kidding themselves! I always considered Coors long necks, as my Magnum beer! Sadly, they don't produce em anymore!
"pickled egg please"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by K Hale »

The Newtons Formerly Known as Fig now come in different fruit fillings. The strawberry ones are.........not too bad.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!