The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2056 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Sam, is this what you were referring to (thanks for giving me the ep!)... Starting at the 40:15 mark http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4zsw69
Yes that is one a couple times they use the stairway.. and if the elevator was at the location you pointed out from the SketchUp that would open up in that first bedroom next to the stairwell at the back of the house.. where as the door at the top of the stairs(leftside) opens up to the first bedroom on the opposite side but opens up into a common area
Got it guys, thanks! Image
Good job RG..... so you're saying it makes sense..ha

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2057 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote: Good job RG..... so you're saying it makes sense..ha
Roger, Roger. :wink:

Here's a screen cap of the door... looks like that could be call buttons to the right of the door. The door looks hinged, but I suppose that make sense in a home...

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2058 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

Here's a screen cap of the door... looks like that could be call buttons to the right of the door. The door looks hinged, but I suppose that make sense in a home...

Yes ma'am good job knowing what we know of the upstairs that would be the only place that opens to a common area..

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2059 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:

Yes ma'am good job knowing what we know of the upstairs that would be the only place that opens to a common area..

That's indeed the elevator guys. It's in my model. Sorry I've been quiet lately. Just digesting things a bit.

Kenji, Sam, RG, and everyone else who has commented, I'll send a labeled 2D SketchUp version to JJ soon. Hopefully that will help. Glad to see you back JJ. Sadly, some of the demolition photos have answered long-standing questions I've had about the floor plan. I also have a much more accurate 3D version since all of RG's updates in the last year or so.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2060 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Pahonu wrote:
That's indeed the elevator guys. It's in my model. Sorry I've been quiet lately. Just digesting things a bit.

Kenji, Sam, RG, and everyone else who has commented, I'll send a labeled 2D SketchUp version to JJ soon. Hopefully that will help. Glad to see you back JJ. Sadly, some of the demolition photos have answered long-standing questions I've had about the floor plan. I also have a much more accurate 3D version since all of RG's updates in the last year or so.
Hey Pahonu! Glad to see you back (under the circumstances) :cry:

I've been getting pretty good at getting around in SketchUp the last few days... just takes practice. :D I only wound up under the house about five times today. :roll: Thanks for clarifying the elevator, but I was skeptical because the second floor had the elevator door but when I went to the corresponding location on the first floor it wasn't there (at least in the version available on MM).

Looking forward to your updates and especially your 2D version!
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2061 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Haha, I was just about to post this to explain what I meant by "back of main stair hall"... this door in SketchUp. I just pictured this "hall" deeper/longer toward the back of the house. So Sam, this would fit because once you get to the top of the stairs the door to the elevator would be on your left, correct?
Wait, the downloadable SketchUp data lets you walk inside the house too? I thought it was only for the outside and the grounds. I need to download that again and play with it more!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2062 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Haha, I was just about to post this to explain what I meant by "back of main stair hall"... this door in SketchUp. I just pictured this "hall" deeper/longer toward the back of the house. So Sam, this would fit because once you get to the top of the stairs the door to the elevator would be on your left, correct?
Wait, the downloadable SketchUp data lets you walk inside the house too? I thought it was only for the outside and the grounds. I need to download that again and play with it more!
Hi eagle! Yes, it takes a little practice and I'm sure I don't know all the ins & outs but now I can get around pretty well. SketchUp is a bit different now... it used to be a download but now it's a "software as a service" on the Internet so you just need to create a SketchUp account (https://www.sketchup.com/), download Pahonu's file, and you're good to go!

ibemanthony
Ensign

#2063 Post by ibemanthony »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
eagle wrote:
Hi eagle! Yes, it takes a little practice and I'm sure I don't know all the ins & outs but now I can get around pretty well. SketchUp is a bit different now... it used to be a download but now it's a "software as a service" on the Internet so you just need to create a SketchUp account (https://www.sketchup.com/), download Pahonu's file, and you're good to go!
Hey guys!

If you want a downloadable version, you can download Sketchup Viewer for Windows or Mac. https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-viewer, just click on the little laptop icon, and choose your OS. :)

I've been having a ton of fun with this the last few days. RG, me too! I was getting pretty frustrated by not being able to maneuver the way I wanted and then I discovered the shift key. haha

Pahonu, can't wait for the new files!! :D

ibemanthony

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2064 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ibemanthony wrote: Hey guys!

If you want a downloadable version, you can download Sketchup Viewer for Windows or Mac. https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-viewer, just click on the little laptop icon, and choose your OS. :)
Oh great, you can do a download still, thanks ibemanthony!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2065 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Looks like an inspector was out to Pahonu last week and updated the demolition permit as "Ongoing". The date could very well be off because on the 8th it says "Work Not Started" and SoCal Drone posted his video to youtube on the 8th! :roll:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2066 Post by J.J. Walters »

Typical local government incompetence. To hell with the "inspection", let's just tear this mother f***** down and bring in some more tax dollars! :evil:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#2067 Post by nha trang »

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be back to the board under these circumstances....somehow I didn't see this coming.

I always intended to visit the estate and pool, now I probably won't ever go to hawaii.

I would like to echo the call to the public for hi-res shots of the estate and pool. I for one am in great need of hi-res photos (suitable for 11X14 prints etc) of the estate beach facing rabbit island. I am really wanting to find a special shot where the water either looks great or the clouds/sky. There are a few episodes of Magnum PI that show Thomas swimming in it and the view is spectacular with the clouds and sunrise etc...

So if any of these pictures are out there, amateur, semi-pro, or pro, how about uploading them to the other posters server to share?

Many thanks and my condolences to us all,

nha trang

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2068 Post by Pahonu »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

I've been getting pretty good at getting around in SketchUp the last few days... just takes practice. :D I only wound up under the house about five times today. :roll: Thanks for clarifying the elevator, but I was skeptical because the second floor had the elevator door but when I went to the corresponding location on the first floor it wasn't there (at least in the version available on MM).

Hey RG,

The first floor elevator door is there, just to the right as you walk into the stair hall. :D

I've been following your discussion on basement stairs. I have some ideas about these. My new model has service stairs in the area between the driveway entrance (zaguan) and the kitchen wing toward the back. They go up to a service space (perhaps sewing room) on the second floor, and down to the basement as well. There is a dumbwaiter in this space also. All this is in the articles you found. These service stairs can't be at the back of the kitchen wing because there is no second floor above there. Above is a terrace connecting to the bedroom suite on that side of the house.

What I think we're seeing at the back of the kitchen wing in the demolition photo, is a second set of basement stairs, perhaps off the rear service porch. They would be the equivalent of bulkhead doors to a cellar for bringing things from outside and not through the house. I don't know if Pahonu has a central heating system being in Hawaii, but this type of access would be where fuel, like coal or heating oil would be delivered for the boiler or hot water heater, which would both be in the basement. This is typical of pre-WWII homes, as is a service porch, for that matter. I'm still considering how to add this basement access to my new model, given the new information available. Bulk wine deliveries might be made that way as well, and then brought up via the dumbwaiter for meals.

The article you found also mentions a cold storage room in addition to storage and service pantries and a servant's dining room, all in the kitchen wing. This type of "compartmentalization" of kitchen functions was very typical in that era and particularly in large homes. Even more modest homes had butler's pantries. The cold storage room is a sign of the home's size. Many homes in the 20's and even 30's had iceboxes on the service porch still. My newest model doesn't have this cold room but rather refrigeration in the kitchen as shown in one of the Hawaii Five-O episodes. I think this cold room was at the very back where I have drawn a service porch. I took a lot of liberties in designing what is a very modern kitchen in this new model, but it was fun. :D

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2069 Post by Sam »

Pahonu wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

Hey RG,

The first floor elevator door is there, just to the right as you walk into the stair hall. :D

I've been following your discussion on basement stairs. I have some ideas about these. My new model has service stairs in the area between the driveway entrance (zaguan) and the kitchen wing toward the back. They go up to a service space (perhaps sewing room) on the second floor, and down to the basement as well. There is a dumbwaiter in this space also. All this is in the articles you found. These service stairs can't be at the back of the kitchen wing because there is no second floor above there. Above is a terrace connecting to the bedroom suite on that side of the house.

What I think we're seeing at the back of the kitchen wing in the demolition photo, is a second set of basement stairs, perhaps off the rear service porch. They would be the equivalent of bulkhead doors to a cellar for bringing things from outside and not through the house. I don't know if Pahonu has a central heating system being in Hawaii, but this type of access would be where fuel, like coal or heating oil would be delivered for the boiler or hot water heater, which would both be in the basement. This is typical of pre-WWII homes, as is a service porch, for that matter. I'm still considering how to add this basement access to my new model, given the new information available. Bulk wine deliveries might be made that way as well, and then brought up via the dumbwaiter for meals.

The article you found also mentions a cold storage room in addition to storage and service pantries and a servant's dining room, all in the kitchen wing. This type of "compartmentalization" of kitchen functions was very typical in that era and particularly in large homes. Even more modest homes had butler's pantries. The cold storage room is a sign of the home's size. Many homes in the 20's and even 30's had iceboxes on the service porch still. My newest model doesn't have this cold room but rather refrigeration in the kitchen as shown in one of the Hawaii Five-O episodes. I think this cold room was at the very back where I have drawn a service porch. I took a lot of liberties in designing what is a very modern kitchen in this new model, but it was fun. :D
Pahonu.... my thoughts are the service stairs is the area where the upstairs bedroom and sitting room are different than the oceanside bedroomst the bedroom is kicked out towards the driveway I think that is where the stairs come up and go into the elevator room... it's That Jag between the sitting room and the bedroom

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2070 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thanks Pahonu! I've never really tried to visualize the floorplan in detail until now and it's now finally coming together! I've also been asking Sam (a lot) and Kenji questions, and they've both been very helpful. Sam has most of it pretty much nailed.

I haven't asked this question, though... do you have any idea where the servant's dining room is?

I have more questions but I'll just go one at a time to save confusion! Thanks!