The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1966 Post by KENJI »

SoCal Drone wrote:Here is a link to my dropbox with some Hi-Res stills taken at 12MP. This is all I'm really comfortable sharing right now because I've already gotten people complaining that I've violated the privacy of the residents of the guest house (I know......). Maybe at a later date I'll release some additional footage or photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lom4pcvokuy0 ... twg4a?dl=0

To answer previous questions; from what I understand, the demolition permit includes all of the structures on the estate with a preservation of the slabs to be used in future construction. So I don't think there are actually basements associated with this construction. Not knowing much about the island construction practices, I'd say it would be fairly difficult to actually have a basement that close to the ocean.
So far the permits only include the main house and bath house...fingers crossed there isn't a phase two on the demo front. Pahonu did have a basement, but it was located closer to the front entrance so a bit further away from the ocean. It would be interesting to see if they can still have a basement after the demolition. Current code might not allow for it now....time will tell.

You'll have to share some stories and pics of the 308 that ENSHealy mentioned you having!
What year do you have?

SoCal Drone
Ensign

#1967 Post by SoCal Drone »

As far as Ferrari 308 ownership goes, like I said in our quick conversation, sometimes it's best not to meet your hero's. It was a beautiful car with a great sound (1983 QV, in Red, of course), but the body flex was unreal while driving because of the removable top. Many shows have been done where a modern day minivan will out perform it. The electrical system was dodgy, one headlight would just start opening and closing on its own like it was winking at everyone. With the interference engine, I felt like I was seconds away from a $10,000 plus engine rebuild. I owned it for 4 years, nearly doubled my money, and it is one of the few cars I haven't missed. I had a 1981 DeLorean as well which was a dumpster fire, and when I got rid of that I ended up buying another one within 10 years, and I doubt I will ever part with it.

Thanks again for the positive comments. Hopefully people can explore the estate a little closer with the photos I uploaded by zooming in on certain areas and I look forward to seeing some of the discoveries on here.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#1968 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Right now I've got the season 12 DVDs of the original Hawaii Five-0 out. (Thought I'd NEVER buy then...no Danno). I'm watching the final episode..."Woe to Wo Fat". As you know, Pahonu is prominently featured in the episode.

It's bittersweet and melancholy.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#1969 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yes, thank you so much for those great photos SoCal Drone! Welcome to the site! Sorry about the MM email issues (it's a long story). I'm working on that now.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1970 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote: So far the permits only include the main house and bath house...fingers crossed there isn't a phase two on the demo front. Pahonu did have a basement, but it was located closer to the front entrance so a bit further away from the ocean. It would be interesting to see if they can still have a basement after the demolition. Current code might not allow for it now....time will tell.
Basement:

Permit:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#1971 Post by KENJI »

Thanks RG!!!! :wink:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1972 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:Thanks RG!!!! :wink:
Glad to oblige with the visual aides, KENJI!

I know sometimes we re-post the same information, or we ask questions that have been asked before, or we point out things that have already been discovered by someone else, but that's ok! It's great that there is such an enormous wealth of information here about so many topics, and members who are always happy to share what they have learned :D

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#1973 Post by No need to know! »

This is so sad!! They should have made Pahonu some kind of an attraction like Southfork in Dallas. Sure this building was much older than that one. But they could have made tours on the ground and at other places around the Island and have some kind of museum/shop. I think Hawaii blew it here. I will never go there now, thats for sure.
And this sure didn´t make me or my Magnum fan friends looking forward for any shitty reboot. R.I.P Pahonu!
Onion´s extra?

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#1974 Post by ENSHealy »

No need to know! wrote:And this sure didn´t make me or my Magnum fan friends looking forward for any shitty reboot. R.I.P Pahonu!
We kinda need a "like" button.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#1975 Post by No need to know! »

And i think most of us aren´t angry, we are just empty and quite gobsmacked.
They just demolished the soul of the original show there now.
So to me the new show it is just a moneygrabbing waste. They lost everything before it even started.
I don´t really care anymore. Ha i hope it will be a hit. Who cares?! No one will bother to know were it came from from the start will they?
Onion´s extra?

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#1976 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

No need to know! wrote:And i think most of us aren´t angry, we are just empty and quite gobsmacked.
I'm feeling empty, but not "gobsmacked". Let me guess... you're in England, right? :P

How the hell did "gobsmacked" - a disgusting sounding term, like you're "smacked by gob" that somebody just spit out - become acceptable for regular people to use in ordinary situations - even by the BBC!?

There's an excellent example of "gobsmacked" at around 1:44 of this video:

youtu.be/y4E8rCEHuB0

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#1977 Post by No need to know! »

Ha! Sweden actually. Gobsmacked=lovely
Onion´s extra?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#1978 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

No need to know! wrote:Ha! Sweden actually. Gobsmacked=lovely
My grandfather was born in Norrköping... Skål! :D

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#1979 Post by eagle »

SoCal Drone wrote:Here is a link to my dropbox with some Hi-Res stills taken at 12MP. This is all I'm really comfortable sharing right now because I've already gotten people complaining that I've violated the privacy of the residents of the guest house (I know......). Maybe at a later date I'll release some additional footage or photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lom4pcvokuy0 ... twg4a?dl=0
I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded these to the photo gallery I built:

https://mmpics.unixdude.net/index.php/D ... SoCal-pics

My Pahonu
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#1980 Post by My Pahonu »

Funny how there are no markings on any of the vehicles or equipment used for the demo. I was hoping to get a name and contact them for a piece of rubble. I have an email into the construction company listed on the permit for the demo companies name. So far not a word.

Anyone know what aggregate would have been used in 1930's Hawaiian concrete?

Socal drone, I would love to see all the stills from the flight. You could crop out all but the demo area specific. Yes?