How old was Magnum's character throughout the P.I. series?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

Re: How old was Magnum's character throughout the P.I. serie

#16 Post by Orrymain »

Unfortunately, TV shows do a lousy job in continuity and Magnum is no exception. There were two dates of births as I recall used over the course of the series. It's sloppy but shows just don't realize that fans notice and keep track of this stuff! :}

Tesza
Lieutenant Commander

#17 Post by Tesza »

Orrymain wrote:Unfortunately, TV shows do a lousy job in continuity and Magnum is no exception. There were two dates of births as I recall used over the course of the series. It's sloppy but shows just don't realize that fans notice and keep track of this stuff! :}
Yes they did, but consider the series was made at a time where no one could imagine there could be fans meeting in the internet ("inter- what? what the hell is this supposed to be?") able and willing to forward, stop, rewind and even play it in slow-motion whenever they wish to and analyze literally every frame of every episode. Or would you have imagined that in those days? :)

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#18 Post by Orrymain »

Yep! I say that all the time to others. It was a different world!

MagnumFan
Captain

#19 Post by MagnumFan »

Well, he turned 40 in Season 7, I believe in an episode set in 1987, so doesn't that kind of settle it?

Plus, it fits in with the fact that in the Pilot, which takes place in 1980, he refers to having dropped out of the Navy because he realized he was 33 without ever having been 23....33 in 1980 is a birth year of 1947. Which fits in with Season 7's 'Forty' in 1987.

Tesza
Lieutenant Commander

#20 Post by Tesza »

MagnumFan wrote:Well, he turned 40 in Season 7, I believe in an episode set in 1987, so doesn't that kind of settle it?

Plus, it fits in with the fact that in the Pilot, which takes place in 1980, he refers to having dropped out of the Navy because he realized he was 33 without ever having been 23....33 in 1980 is a birth year of 1947. Which fits in with Season 7's 'Forty' in 1987.
It would fit, but it also says in the 1980 season (don't recall the exact scene) that Magnum already has spent a year at Robin's Nest. So he would have dropped out in 1979, which would refer to 1946 as a birth year. And it still fits to the "Forty" episode if you assume it must have already been produced in 1986 (and the script was possibly written even earlier).

And it still doesn't solve the problem that he claims to have been born in 1944 in "Try to Remember" :)