1983 Magnum, P.I. Annual

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

1983 Magnum, P.I. Annual

#1 Post by Little Garwood »

For those of us outside of the United Kingdom, an annual is a yearly publication based on popular TV shows that is geared towards kids. It features comic strips, stories, articles, photos, and even some educational articles. A great example of the annuals would be the old Doctor Who series, that program had an annual throughout the '70s and early '80s and they are included on some of the Dr Who dvd releases.

Short story long...turns out there was such an annual for Magnum back in 1983. This site has posted photos of the annual, so a big thank you to them for posting it!

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: 1983 Magnum, P.I. Annual

#2 Post by 308GUY »

That's probably the coolest thing I've seen this year!

Very neat, that you can expand the pages and actually read the stories.

How did come across that in the first place?

Thanks for posting. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

You're welcome!

I found it doing an image search for, believe it or not, Rick Simon's Aloha shirt! I was working on a post on the shirts Gerald McRaney wore on Simon & Simon and lo and behold came the Magnum annual cover photo.

There were annuals for many, many TV shows both UK and US. Perhaps our UK Magnum-Mania friends will further elucidate on this matter. :)

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I found it doing an image search for, believe it or not, Rick Simon's Aloha shirt!
Too funny. Just last Sunday I was noticing a cool Rick Simon shirt while watching an episode from Season 3.

I've heard about this annual before, but never seen the inside! Thanks for sharing!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Interesting. James posted the cover of the 1982 Annual on the "tie-in products" page (very hard to find this page by navigating on the site, Doc. A little project for you!). The blog you pointed us to Garwood says there were three ('82, '83, and '84).

Here's a little write up on the 1982 annual: http://my-retrospace.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ultra.html

The cover is different to the one listed on the tie in products page, however.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

A little more googling and I found a bit of a discussion here on a another thread.

As well as the cover for the 1984 Annual. Very small, but the only one I could find.

Here's the 1982 cover (noting above that when I mentioned the cover being different, I think the image on the retrospace blog is from the inside, not the cover).

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I found it doing an image search for, believe it or not, Rick Simon's Aloha shirt!
Too funny. Just last Sunday I was noticing a cool Rick Simon shirt while watching an episode from Season 3.

I've heard about this annual before, but never seen the inside! Thanks for sharing!
There are some good finds to be had regarding TV show annuals; no wonder they're iconic among UK TV aficionados. Sometimes the art in the comic strips are a bit dodgy but all in all, the stuff is fun to read.

I think a "The Aloha Shirts of Rick Simon" may become a future thread, depending on how many different ones I can spot.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I just noticed that they flipped the image in this to make the Ferrari a RHD car for the UK. I knew something was off, but didn't notice at first!

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I just noticed that they flipped the image in this to make the Ferrari a RHD car for the UK. I knew something was off, but didn't notice at first!

"Flip it, flip it good"

I make myself chuckle . . . :lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:
"Flip it, flip it good"

I make myself chuckle . . . :lol:
Hey....you made both of us chuckle....... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by steveadl »

There's a few copies of the '83 Annual floating around on eBay for anyone interested.

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

steveadl wrote:There's a few copies of the '83 Annual floating around on eBay for anyone interested.
Buy it now of $135! No basis in reality considering what others have gone for on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNUM-P-I-ANNU ... 1565212182

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by steveadl »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
steveadl wrote:There's a few copies of the '83 Annual floating around on eBay for anyone interested.
Buy it now of $135! No basis in reality considering what others have gone for on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNUM-P-I-ANNU ... 1565212182
That's what the yanks want for it. The poms are more reasonable lol :D

Sir Fearing
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by Sir Fearing »

Have a look at this website: http://www.justbooks.de/search/?author= ... t=sr&ac=qr
There are many copies of the 1982 and the 1983 annual at reasonable prices.
Half a world removed from England