The Case of Higgins Being Robin Masters

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

The Case of Higgins Being Robin Masters

#1 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I know there's been many threads about this subplot from the later years of the series. It's a subplot that has always bothered me and has been debated about on here for years. I think there needs to be a case about this. Granted, we'll never know for sure what they may have eventually done to resolve this storyline had the series continued, but we can make educated guesses. Here's my case:

In "Paper War" Magnum comes up with the theory that Jonathon Quayle Higgins is actually Robin Masters. His theory is based around his guess that Higgins wrote the novels credited to Robin Masters, but was embarassed by their content. His theory suggests that the man they knew as Robin Masters was a man paid by Higgins to go around the world and live a lavish lifestyle to keep anyone from knowing Higgins writes those sort of stories.

Here is why I think this story does not ring true: The premice of the entire show was that Magnum lived on the estate of a famous novelist as a security expert in exchange for the free room and board as well as use of a vehicle which allowed him to work on the side as a private investigator. While never sufficiantly explained during cannon, it was alluded to Magnum having known Robin Masters prior to moving onto the estate and having some type of relationship with him. Living on the estate was a mayordomo named Higgins whom was against the idea of Magnum living on the estate and did not approve of the arrangement. If Higgins was really Robin Masters then how could an employee of his dictate to him that he had to have a perfect stranger live for an undetermined amount of time in his guest house and have use of his very exspensive Ferrari while the actual Robin Masters was forced to drive an Audi? Higgins, if the actual owner, could've easily made "Robin" call Magnum and say that he decided things weren't working out and ask him to leave the property. The first few seasons had Higgins and Magnum constantly negotiating for whatever privlages Magnum was allowed on the estate (wine cellar, tennis court, etc) and Magnum trying to sneak use without Higgins' knowledge. If Higgins was Robin then he'd likely not care if his security expert was playing tennis or using the hot tub or whatever else he had on the estate.

In multiple episodes it was proven that Higgins was merely an employee of Robin Masters. Higgins dictated his letter of resignation in private. Why would he resign and leave his own estate? Higgins also would reference things to which he disagreed with Mr. Masters yet had to abide by his wishes. If he was truly Robin then he could've made those wishes how he wanted them.

In a few episodes Robin Masters and Higgins are seen together. Until Orsen Wells passed away they would occassionaly bring Robin to Hawaii for an episode. In one episode it was revealed that Robin had threats against his life and had Magnum sneak him onto the estate with the knowledge of Higgins. It was very clear that Higgins was not in on this plan and was rather insulted that he was not in the loop. The person that was trying to kill Robin had a relationship that preceded the fame of Robin Masters and had continued for some years which would've allowed her the knowledge that he wasn't whom he claimed.

They made it clear in a few episodes that Higgins first came to Robin's Nest in the mid 70s as a replacement for another majordomo. Robin's work first broke big in the mid 60s or so which makes no sense as to why Higgins would've bought or had this huge estate in Hawaii for so long without having been there before. Also, in some of Higgins' stories it made it seem as if he was still in the military until the later 60s or early 70s. This would've ruled out being able to write these novels in such proliferation. Writing a book is a lengthy process and if Higgins was still active military and being sent to various places around the world then he'd not have the time to go through those processes. It'd also limit his availability for consulting with the actor if he did hire someone to act as his agent. You'd think with as much as was made off of those books that he'd have either resigned from the military or waited until he had a permanent post so it'd be easier to meet with editors, publishers, agents, etc so that he could be directly involved in this. It's not the same as having someone take a pie you baked and entering it in the county fair and seeing how it placed.

Higgins' writing style didn't seem to mesh with a Robin Masters writing style. Magnum sent Higgins' book to a publisher without his knowledge. The letter that came back indicated that Higgins need a lot of work done before they could publish it. If Higgins was really an accomplished writer then he'd have known more about what they could market/sell and been much closer to what they'd accept. Plus there is nothing about Higgins' character or storytelling to suggest that he'd have written these types of books. It seems totally out of his character to be able to do this. Plus, in one episode Magnum and Carol are caught reading a draft of the latest Robin Masters novel which is taken away by Higgins. Higgins then can't resist reading a chapter to see how it is. If he wrote the book he'd not have to sneak a look in private to see what was written.

The main points that Magnum made whenever he'd try to point out Higgins were Robin are easily defeated. Higgins would sometimes say "my kitchen" or "my study" which Magnum took to mean as in literal ownership. Higgins could, easily, have meant it as in the terms that he used those rooms. Like a Chef saying "my kitchen" because he's in charge of running it and not necessarily because he owns it, Higgins was in charge of running the estate so it was "his" in that sense. Magnum saw Higgins attempting to write his memoiurs as proof that he had to be the writer Robin Masters. While Robin may have been an inspiration for him to try writing and would've given him contacts on how to go about being published, it doesn't equate to Higgins having to be Robin Masters. Magnum theorised that Higgins would be too embarassed by the content of the novels and link it to his father's sordid past so he couldn't let himself be seen as the writer. Nobody would've known about the father's sordid past if he never mentioned it so that wasn't an issue. Especially in that time frame, Higgins could've written the books and never publicly talked about his family life.

I think that Magnum invented the whole theory just to annoy Higgins. He knew it was perposterous, but would bring it up and have his friends bring it up to get a reaction out of Higgins. It makes sense in Resolutions that he was completely shocked to hear Higgins admit that he was Robin and want an explanation as to why he did it. Plus, Magnum was too smart to not know whom exactly was employing him and whose home and car he was using. He'd have figured it out easily being a private investigator.

That's my case for believing that Jonathon Quayle Higgins was, in fact, not Robin Masters.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Case of Higgins Being Robin Masters

#2 Post by Pahonu »

SignGuyHPW wrote:They made it clear in a few episodes that Higgins first came to Robin's Nest in the mid 70s as a replacement for another majordomo. Robin's work first broke big in the mid 60s or so which makes no sense as to why Higgins would've bought or had this huge estate in Hawaii for so long without having been there before.
This is the first time I've heard this argument. Very good!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

Theory works for me but you do know there are no real world rules in television, especially since Dallas pulled the entire Bobby in the shower scene discounting an entire season (which took place on the first Dallas episode of 1986, same year that Paper War was written and aired)............
deus ex machina

eltonsean
Captain

#4 Post by eltonsean »

well said, SignGuyHPW.

I think the writers (or possibly Tom Selleck) came up with this crazy idea to help breath new life and boost the ratings of the show. Seeing as they no longer had the option of using Orson Wells to be revealed as Robin because Wells had died, this questionable idea seems to have been born.

The way I work it out in my head is this: Higgins' and Robin's writing style were as different as night and day. Magnum was simply wrong and should have known better. Higgins went along with the ridiculous idea because it was amusing. But that's it.

Because of this I find that I don't enjoy the episodes at all that feature the idea of Higgins being Robin. It just seems silly and an insult to true Magnum fans who know the show's history and have been watching it since the beginning. That's why I tend to stick with watching the first 4 seasons. after that, the episodes get weaker, they introduce "Fake" Mac, they use "the lads" less, Magnum starts to act more "mature" and this crazy Higgins/Robin thing happens. Blah.

But it's still my favourite show of all time. :magnum:
"Living well is the best revenge".