Las Vegas, Poker game scenes.

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#31 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:I'm probably over-analyzing this, but I can't help but wonder if all of these Magnum references have a deeper meaning. I expected one or two, but why so many of them? The Team ring, the Ferrari, the "starting with one chopper", the reference to a club, the Hawaii driver's license, the British friend who couldn't make it, the reference to letting the girl go (Michelle), the fact that all three were buddies from the Vietnam war. Dare I say it, but could this be some kind of completely unexpected "Chekov's Gun" and foreshadowing of a major plot twist to come!? Could AJ Cooper, "Larry" and "Roger" actually be Magnum, Rick and T.C.!!? :shock:

Nah, it can't be. Can it? :?
It would be great if that would happen. That would rank right up there with the ending of "Newhart" when in the final episode Bob wakes up not as the Inn Keeper next to Joanna, but as Dr. Bob Hartley, Psychologist, next to Emily. :shock: That scene was so great not only for the scene itself, but for the creativeness of even conceiving such an idea. Genius. :D

Universal owns the rights to MPI. Who owns the rights to Las Vegas? I don't know, but it could be possible if Universal also owns the rights to Las Vegas. Otherwise there would be to many legal hurdles to overcome. This could also be a way to provide some advance advertising for MPI, the movie, or maybe it is the studio's way of gauging potential interest in a motion picture. It's anybody's guess, but I like James' idea the best.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#32 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

That would be AWESOME!

:lol:

S&F

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#33 Post by rubber chicken »

I checked my recording of the show and it does indeed appear to be owned by Universal (and NBC). After the close of the episode there's a "NBC Universal Television Studio" logo/screen that appears.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, just think how cool that would be if it were true - a plot twist to end all plot twists! Tom's been trying to get back in Magnum's shoes for years. What a great way to do it - bypass the movie all together and bring TM back on TV where he belongs!

Of course, if this were true it presents some problems (all of which can be overcome):

1) Danny and Mike ran background checks on AJ in the previous episode "Run, Cooper, Run!" and didn't find any hint of deception on AJ's background. But, Magnum knows lots of people in high places. He could, conceivably, have buried his true identity so deep (with help) that even Danny and Mike couldn't find it. Plus, Magnum knows Maggie Poole! ;)

2) AJ's character doesn't have the tiniest shred of Magnum's personality (the laugh, the goofiness, etc.), but if he's trying to hide his true identity I suppose he could be "in character" and intentionally acting in a different way. Either that or after "re-upping" into the Navy he became a hardened, bitter, disillusioned man and he's not "acting". ;)

3) Why would he be hiding his true identity? Why would he want "bury" Thomas Magnum and become "AJ Cooper"? This could be explained in a lot of different ways. Maybe TM got into some sort of trouble, SERIOUS trouble. He was framed for something. Who knows.

Man, this would be the most awesome thing ever if they do this! I won't hold my breath, however.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#35 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

If only the TV execs would read our board . . .we'd save this show and have a great movie idea for them. I still like the movie idea posted here about TM assising his daughter who is now in Naval intelligence.

S&F

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#36 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:I'm probably over-analyzing this, but I can't help but wonder if all of these Magnum references have a deeper meaning.
It would be great if they had something special in mind, but unfortunately, I think it's just called, "bad writing". :lol:

As you said, one or two in-jokes would've been clever. But once you start hitting the audience over the head with references, the joke loses its wit. It also means they did very little work to actually flesh out the characters for Larry and Roger.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by grapeshot »

On IMDB.com, if you look under "Company Credits" for Las Vegas, you'll see that NBC produced the first season, and seasons 2 and 3 were produced by NBC-Universal (probably the year that NBC bought Universal).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364828/companycredits
So very definitely, they could make Las Vegas have a tie-in with MPI.

In my opinion, doing so would only improve this show.

In fact, I would think that if they intend to do even a covert tie-in with MPI, pretty soon we'll be finding out that Cooper has a daughter.

But, this would all be too good to be true. Instead I think this show will just put-put along with it's silly characters and half-baked story lines.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Steve »

I've been trying to read the label on the bottle of Beer that Cooper was drinking during the poker game. It would be cool if it was "Coops" or "Old Dusseldorf", but I just can't make the label out. Anyone else able to read it?

Steve
Chicago

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#39 Post by rubber chicken »

I went back to the recording and due to the lighting it's pretty hard to make out. No words can be read, but maybe someone who better remembers the look of Magnum's beers of choice can voice their opinion.

Here's the best shots...

Speaking of Coops, has anyone noticed the coincidence of Magnum's beer being Coops and now Mr. Selleck's character in Las Vegas is named Cooper? Someone may have pointed that out allready? It's probably nothing more than a coincidence though, just funny in a useless trivia sort of way.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by grapeshot »

Just for the record, TVbytheNumbers show us that Las Vegas was the 18th most recorded show on TiVos for the week that ended 10/28. That's up from #21 the previous week.
Link

Looks like the MPI reunion may have given LV a slight bump - although whether LV hit a similar spot on realtime viewing is anybody's guess. (I haven't seen any numbers anywhere. If anybody has, please post them.)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by lutherhgillis »

Thanks, Grape, for the info. Interesting.

About the beer. It doesn't matter if it was Coops, Duesseldorf, or whatever. It was BEER and in a long neck bottle. That is a direct tie to Magnum! A billionaire could drink scotch, sherry, wine, or anything else he wants. Magnum (Cooper) drinks beer in a long neck bottle!

What will show up next? The rubber chicken or the gorilla mask?

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Miss Q »

I have to say I am a bit surprised with all the MPI references.... He has strived for so long to get away from the MPI pigeon holeing and now he seems to have embrassed it....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Tralfaz
Admiral

#43 Post by Tralfaz »

Miss Q wrote:I have to say I am a bit surprised with all the MPI references.... He has strived for so long to get away from the MPI pigeon holeing and now he seems to have embrassed it....

Not sure I agree, in fact for many years he tried to get a Movie made about Magnum's exploits after the show, including a script to be written by Tom Clancy, but the studios were not interested. What I think he was shying away from was TV, not Magnum
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Magnum92
Captain

#44 Post by Magnum92 »

Yeah I noticed That :)
I thought it was good that he was wearing it, sort of re-assuring!
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!