The stache marathon

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

The stache marathon

#1 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Stumbled upon Esquire Network's "The Stache Marathon" of Magnum P.I. yesterday. Anyone else get the chance to catch some of it?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: The stache marathon

#2 Post by 308GUY »

What time was it on? Sadly, I missed it.

I have my tv set to come on automatically on Wed. morning at 7:00 cause that's when they used to show MPI, but yesterday, there was some show on where people pay a guy to find them the "right" car! Had other things to do, so just turned it off and went about the day.

I kinda wondered what they were gonna do next after last week, cause I think they showed Resolutions prts. 1 and 2 as the last episode for the day.

Glad they showed some more. Any word on future plans for showing the series? I thought maybe they'd start over and have another go at it. :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#3 Post by SignGuyHPW »

It was on from, at least, 10am until 8pm. Seemed like they jumped around the series as far as episodes they picked.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

Thanks Sign Guy.

Shucks, I missed it!

Will have to keep an eye out for any word on future airings on Esquire.

Hau’oli La Ho’omakika’i! :magnum:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Steve »

I did catch the last couple of episodes when I got home from work. I also noticed COZI has a new Magnum commercial with the caption; He would give you the Hawaiian shirt off his back with shots of the various shirts Magnum wore...........

MikeS
Admiral

#6 Post by MikeS »

308GUY wrote:I kinda wondered what they were gonna do next after last week, cause I think they showed Resolutions prts. 1 and 2 as the last episode for the day.
Sadly they went thru the entire series - almost every episode, and with everything else they did at Esquire (during this MPI complete series run) they decided part 2 wasn't necessary either - or something. No, they ended the series at Resolutions Part 1, Part 2 hasn't aired yet, not on the west coast, on DirecTV anyway.
MikeS

MikeS
Admiral

#7 Post by MikeS »

SignGuyHPW wrote:It was on from, at least, 10am until 8pm. Seemed like they jumped around the series as far as episodes they picked.
On the West coast on DirecTV, the last 3 weeks have been (from the series beginning again), 8 hrs, 9am-5pm:
Nov. 12: 1.1 - 1.7
Nov. 19: 1.8 - 1.15
Nov. 26: 1.16 - 2.7

Esquire decided to skip Memories Are Forever (2.5, 2.6) for some reason this last Wednesday. The term "celebration of the stache" as far as I can tell started about week 2, I didn't hear the term at all, even while watching Quantum Leap, Miami Vice, or Air Wolf. They say celebrate during November, since this Wednesday is Dec. 03, I suspect the MPI run will have ended, but Esquire has been somewhat schitzoid with how it has handled MPI so it's hard to say.

DirecTV is running Encore free thru Sunday, it was nice watching MPI with the opening clips, uncut, today. I'll watch tomorrow as well.

I'm sorry, I know I've been a critic of Esquire this whole time, but I can't figure out why they would do the various stupid things during this run if viewers is what their after. When I read that the powers behind Esquire are also the peeps that borked TechTV with G4, all the various incarnations the network has undergone, makes sense now - their basically clueless.

I know I need the DVD set, and I need to say goodbye to Esquire, I'm not at all their demo:

Description: The network airs programs aimed at a metrosexual audience centering on travel, cooking and fashion as well as non-sports related male programming.

Metrosexual: The neologistic term is popularly thought to describe heterosexual men who adopt fashions and lifestyles stereotypically associated with homosexuals, although, by definition given by the originator, a metrosexual "might be officially gay, straight or bisexual".
MikeS

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#8 Post by marlboro »

Someone once told me that all Esquire viewers are metrosexual, but straighten up again when they get their 'staches...

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Steve »

marlboro wrote:Someone once told me that all Esquire viewers are metrosexual, but straighten up again when they get their 'staches...
Too funny :D

MPIinstitute
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by MPIinstitute »

I have been watching when I can. I like to watch this show since I missed a lot while I was in the military. Im from Hawaii so I enjoy seeing the places Ive been to and how it has changed over the years. Just saw an episode and recognized an ex girlfriend dancing hula on the beach. I think it was the episode where Magnum competed in a triathalon.

MikeS
Admiral

#11 Post by MikeS »

Esquire finally got around to playing part 2 of the series finale, be it a week or 2 after airing part 1... then they played the series pilot once more. I'm grateful overall, it was a nice surprise to see MPI after so many years. No MPI this week on Esquire.

It was very cool to have a free preview weekend of Encore during Thanksgiving. I was able to catch the (I guess) unedited versions twice a day, Thurs. & Fri. that week :magnum:

I will eventually get the complete series on DVD, and unless something earth-shaking happens with Esquire and MPI, I figure there's little to report - go fiigure, network television playing reruns of old series :shock:
MikeS

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm thinking of getting Esquire just for the Magnum aspect . . . I have every season on DVD (c'mon Blu-ray, please??) but there's something special about flipping on the TV and having the show on. Plus there's the added surprise of not knowing what the episode is, as opposed to putting the disc in.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GUY »

Esquire didn't show any MPI last week, that I saw.

Tried to check their schedule on the net, couldn't really make heads nor tails of it.

Granted, I'm not all that computer literate, but the only day it would let me look at was the current day. When I tried to bring up the schedule for Wednesday's, nothing happened, it wouldn't come off of "Today". Checked the listing of shows, and didn't see MPI listed anywhere, so I don't know if they are even going to carry it anymore.

MPI was the only thing I watched on Esquire, outside of an occasional movie, so I don't know if they've announced future plans for showing it again.

Will check it again tomorrow, as that is the day it used to be on in the mornings.

They must have some real ding a lings doing their programming, IMHO.

:magnum:

MikeS
Admiral

#14 Post by MikeS »

I think MPI is done for now on Esquire.

Today, Wed Jan 07, in the time slot was a marathon of The Incredible Hulk including the pilot, up to ep. 7 or 8 - which btw I appreciate, most programmers would slam together random eps. Tomorrow the 8th will be a marathon of The Six Million Dollar Man, including a pilot, there were apparently 3 different ones.

I enjoyed Quantum Leap while it lasted, I was hoping to see the ep that had a quick bit with MPI in it - 'Permanent Wave..?' but it never aired, not while I was watching.

Esquire is occupying most air time with their reality crap - like that which is most tv programming on any network today. If I hear another person refer to the schlock actors of reality tv as a star, I'll kick them in the balls, male or female. These people aren't has-been(s), there never-were(s). When I was asked to fill the house with 50" TVs, this isn't the $hit I expected to see 90% of the time. I know they make good money but their product is pure $hit, like most of the heads of these networks.

I can search the DirecTV guide up to 72 hours, by Name, Title, or scroll thru the networks offerings hour by hour up to 3 days. Encore is the only network showing MPI - we don't have Cozi.

I've been watching JAG lately, it's on 2 or 3 networks - pretty cool so far. I did catch the pilot, twice now. It was kinda like Top Gun with a female slant, it was OK too. Catherine Bell wasn't in the pilot, she appeared around season 2..?

What I need to do I suppose at this point is either start another band, I can still play guitar, or, lose about 30 pounds and get back in to a karate gi, if they make one in my size - really, TV right now simply sucks.
MikeS

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

Looks like COZI-TV is cutting Magnum back to two episodes on Thursday's as well. Also, Encore has changed their schedule still showing two episodes a night but they are now back to back. New Year, new schedule but still hanging in there..........