Magnum's Junk Fast Food

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Magnum's Junk Fast Food

#1 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Aside form the usual Chili Dogs he loved to chow down on, I recently saw an episode where he had Carol order him 2 double cheeseburgers, plain with nothing on them. Now given that we have talked about "Macho Taco", I don't ever recall Magnum eating cheeseburgers....seemed kinda odd....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Magnum's Junk Fast Food

#2 Post by marlboro »

Do Fig Newton's count as junk food or health food? They are both fruit and cake, after all.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Hawaii Winds wrote:Aside form the usual Chili Dogs he loved to chow down on, I recently saw an episode where he had Carol order him 2 double cheeseburgers, plain with nothing on them. Now given that we have talked about "Macho Taco", I don't ever recall Magnum eating cheeseburgers....seemed kinda odd....
"Death of The Flowers"(ep-7.12) when TM and Carol are on "stake out".

Maybe he ordered those cause he knew he couldn't get anything else he liked from the place she was going to get food?

I still like Fig Newtons, and generally keep a supply on hand at all times!

(Oh..and if anybody asks, they are "health-y food" :D ) (just noticed I forgot the "l")

:magnum:
Last edited by 308GUY on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

I prefer Fig Newmans, which are a better-tasting take on that hallowed fruit and cake combo.

As for Magnum's diet, I always thought it a contradiction with his Iron Man competition aspirations, but then I read somewhere that football players ("soccer") often gorge themselves on junk food after a match, so maybe it's not unusual that Thomas does it.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

Fig Newtons are a regular part of my diet because of this show!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Stelth »

Hawaii Winds wrote:Aside form the usual Chili Dogs he loved to chow down on, I recently saw an episode where he had Carol order him 2 double cheeseburgers, plain with nothing on them. Now given that we have talked about "Macho Taco", I don't ever recall Magnum eating cheeseburgers....seemed kinda odd....
I'm pretty sure he ordered cheeseburgers and fries in "Way of the Stalking Horse". He gives some to the runway girl that helps him.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

I've long toyed with the idea of having a mini-fridge and cabinet stocked with Magnum-style junk-and-real food. I would try and limit it to things mentioned on the show, like the aforementioned Fig Newtons , chili dog supplies, and the like. I normally don't go to fast food places, so I would prepare my own. After all, I want to keep my waist at its present 31".

I've also long been intrigued by Rick's spaghetti sauce recipe, as mentioned in No Need to Know. Maybe Larry Manetti has a recipe handy?

Not only has Magnum rekindled my lifelong interest in Fig Newtons--I was just at the supermarket today and should have bought some!--but now I have become a hot fudge sundae fanatic; ate one yesterday.

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

Little Garwood wrote:Maybe Larry Manetti has a recipe handy?
There are quite a few recipe's in the back of Larry's book, Aloha Magnum, which can be ordered here:

http://www.larrymanetti.com/shop.htm

Don't recall off hand if there's one for his sauce or not, but, seems like there was.

31" waist!!!..........Maybe I can get a few recipe's from you! I'd love to be back to 32", I'd even be very happy with 36"! (truth be told, I'd be in great shape with 38"!!)

HAGO! :magnum:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Little Garwood »

308GUY wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:Maybe Larry Manetti has a recipe handy?
There are quite a few recipe's in the back of Larry's book, Aloha Magnum, which can be ordered here:

http://www.larrymanetti.com/shop.htm

Don't recall off hand if there's one for his sauce or not, but, seems like there was.

31" waist!!!..........Maybe I can get a few recipe's from you! I'd love to be back to 32", I'd even be very happy with 36"! (truth be told, I'd be in great shape with 38"!!)

HAGO! :magnum:
I was just over to Larry's site and was taken aback at the $17.00(!) S&H for the book.

Yes, at 43 years old with a 31" waist and 6'2" yet I don't look too scrawny thank goodness! I'm disciplined in what I eat and can thank my parents for passing down their better attributes. In high school I was 140 lbs. I'm around 158 lbs these days, give or take a fresh-baked cherry pie and pint of French Vanilla ice cream on top once a week. :wink:

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

I agree, shipping has gotten completely out of hand in recent years, especially considering one of the reasons listed for it going up so drastically and quickly, was the price of fuel, and now, fuel is back down, but shipping (along with many other things raised to "keep in line with fuel costs") continues to be inflated. (was that a run-on or what........? :higgins: )

When I was looking at buying the book a couple years ago, I found it on Amazon for anywhere from $35 on up to over $500! Then found Larry's site and ordered it for under $20, less than $26 WITH shipping. It was also signed by Larry!

Not sure what to tell you, except if you are a collector of MPI memorabilia, it is a must have item, and it's not a bad read and sheds a little light on how things were during the years the show was being made, at least from Larry's perspective. The episode guide is pretty handy too.