Some good and bad news

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

Some good and bad news

#1 Post by Frodoleader »

Hey fellow Maniacs! I have a better than even chance of going to Hawai'i in the very near future on business. We have some potential work at a property on Sand Island. The bad news is that I will not be traveling alone and the schedule we will have will be fly in & check in to hotel; do our work the next day; fly back to mainland that night. So this trip will probably mostly be sitting in airports and on airplanes.
What makes me sad is that this will most likely be my only opportunity to visit the Islands. The wife and I don't do any traveling, other than weekend day trips. We simply cannot afford it. (Sorry to whine about this!). So I will not have the need to download Rubber Chicken's guide or do any other touristy stuff. I am kind of bittersweet about the whole thing.
If I should find myself with the chance, I would at least like to get a look at the estate (Pahonu) and visit the beach there. What is the address?
Again, sorry about the whining. :magnum:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Some good and bad news

#2 Post by 308GUY »

Never been there, so can't confirm, but this is what I found for an address:
41-505 Kalanianaole Hwy

Doesn't sound like you'll have much time for sight-seeing, but hope you have an enjoyable trip anyway.

Let us know how it goes.

Have fun! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sisophous »

That's a long way to go to just spend one day. Sounds like the person picking up the tab doesn't want to pay for accommodations for more than one night. Usually business trips there are mixed in with some leisure time being it is so far away.

I remember getting off the plane at Kona Airport on the Big Island at night and the air smelled of flowers. Haven't experienced that anywhere else I've been.

I hope your trip goes well.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

Hi Frodoleader,

Is it possible for you to take a days vacation and have them book you a flight the following day? Shouldn't cost them any more money.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Frodoleader »

Sam wrote:Hi Frodoleader,

Is it possible for you to take a days vacation and have them book you a flight the following day? Shouldn't cost them any more money.
This was my original plan and there is always a chance I may still be able to do this. But the problem is another night in the hotel.
The main issue is that I am not the one calling the shots here. I may have to follow what the other person decides to do. You see money/cost is driving this. We have to keep our fees low in order to be awarded the work. We have a Honolulu office but it turns out to be cheaper to fly in to do the work ourselves than have our local colleagues do it.
Thanks for the address 308guy.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Frodoleader,

A trip to Paradise with no down time ! Hopefully it works out for you. I am thinking maybe as the job comes to completion you should somehow contrive to convince the " other person " he/she has contracted Hemorhagic Fever (ala "Black On White") . He/she then being persuaded to remain in quarantine in Oahu for a week (or two) would give you the time to explore the Island and the MPI locations. I am sure you could find Doc Ibold's phone number in the local directory. It's not as if he has not done this kind of thing before.

Please let us know how the trip works out . You can be sure the rest of us Magnum Maniacs are collectively keeping our fingers crossed on your behalf. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Danno »

Will you have access to a rental car?

The thing about the estate that can be frustrating is the tides. If it's high tide then access to the tidal pool and beach can be difficult- unless you just jump in and swim around.

If this is your one chance to visit I'd be checking the tide chart to make sure you're not disappointed- and if you'll have time, bring a snorkel, mask and fins (can be bought cheaply from ABC Stores) as there can be Honu swimming right outside the rock walls.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by 308GUY »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hi Frodoleader,

I am thinking maybe as the job comes to completion you should somehow contrive to convince the " other person " he/she has contracted Hemorhagic Fever (ala "Black On White") . He/she then being persuaded to remain in quarantine in Oahu for a week (or two) would give you the time to explore the Island and the MPI locations. I am sure you could find Doc Ibold's phone number in the local directory. It's not as if he has not done this kind of thing before.
:)
HA! That made me LOL! That's funny right there....I don't care who you are! :lol:

Thanks for the laugh Terry......... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

308GUY wrote:Never been there, so can't confirm, but this is what I found for an address:
41-505 Kalanianaole Hwy
The address is correct, I am using this with my GPS when on the island.
IMO, you MUST take a car (rentals are not really expensive for 1 day when booked online) to go to there plus to the places around the Kahala resort, where you find plenty of locations.

Make it happen, you only live once!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sisophous »

Danno wrote:
The thing about the estate that can be frustrating is the tides. If it's high tide then access to the tidal pool and beach can be difficult- unless you just jump in and swim around.
Does anyone know how to access the beach by the estate? Where to park, and where to go to get to the beach? No Parking signs show up in that area.

I did a Google Search on Google Satellite Map and zoomed in after dragging the Orange Man icon to the estate entrance. The place is overgrown with trees and the gate entrance looks like vehicles can't get through the vegetation is so heavy. They really let the place go to pot.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sisophous wrote:
Danno wrote:
Does anyone know how to access the beach by the estate? Where to park, and where to go to get to the beach? No Parking signs show up in that area.

I did a Google Search on Google Satellite Map and zoomed in after dragging the Orange Man icon to the estate entrance. The place is overgrown with trees and the gate entrance looks like vehicles can't get through the vegetation is so heavy. They really let the place go to pot.
You go past the estate's gate a little ways and turn right into Kaiona Beach Park's parking lot to park (free). From there walk onto the beach and walk back toward the estate. That's where the tides come into play...you want to go at low tide so you can walk easily to the tidal pool.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sisophous »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
You go past the estate's gate a little ways and turn right into Kaiona Beach Park's parking lot to park (free). From there walk onto the beach and walk back toward the estate. That's where the tides come into play...you want to go at low tide so you can walk easily to the tidal pool.
Thanks!! I wondered for some time how people went about this and your image explains it clearly.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sam »

Nice job RG,

Hope you don't mind that I made one small modification.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sisophous wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Thanks!! I wondered for some time how people went about this and your image explains it clearly.
You're welcome! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:Nice job RG,

Hope you don't mind that I made one small modification.

Yeah, yeah, Sam :wink: ......I thought of that picture but being a female I chose otherwise. Guess I'm outnumbered here though, lol! So while I'm on the subject (sort of), any ladies out there think Keoki was quite a looker, too (other than TM, of course!) So sad they wrote him out.

*Cricket, cricket, cricket*......I think I'm maybe the only active female here these days!? :(