Episodes where it is blatantly cold

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

Episodes where it is blatantly cold

#1 Post by runawayselleck »

Ever noticed just how cold and windy it seemed in Magnum? Episodes at the club when the wind would be blowing everyone's hair and the sky would be quite overcast, yet everyone would be sunbathing away. Obviously there are some beautiful sunny shots in Magnum, but it did seem to be cold and windy a lot. Any scenes that people can think of in particular? I'm thinking of The Black Orchid (at one point the camera has to do an extreme close-up on the leading lady of the episode as her hat is flapping to manically in the wind) and one I watched today, one my favourite episodes, Black on White. When Magnum is on the beach at the end and TC walks into the sea after him the sky looks dark and it seems like it would have been very cold.

Runaway Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Episodes where it is blatantly cold

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Mixed Doubles looked pretty bad too.

Granted, it looked like a thunderstorm fo most of it, but everyone was decked out like it was nothing.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

"The Big Blow" and "The Kona Winds" come to mind. :)

And the Crouching Lion Inn scene in "Try to Remember".
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sisophous »

The episode Try To Remember comes to mind. Magnum is wearing a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled back on his visit to the boutique, after going to the Crouching Lion Inn. It must have been on another day for his shirt to have changed or is it a flub?

I don't know if the islands really become that cold at sea level but at altitude they sure can get cold. I recall during my visit to the Big Island I stayed at a Japanese restaurant/hotel at altitude (1,000+ ft) and it got down to the upper 40s/low 50s at night and was rainy too.

Here is a three minute clip from Try to Remember and is titled "Crouching Lion Inn", one of the MPI videos I have on youtube and posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRSzJJIpsA

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Sisophous wrote:The episode Try To Remember comes to mind. Magnum is wearing a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled back on his visit to the boutique, after going to the Crouching Lion Inn. It must have been on another day for his shirt to have changed or is it a flub?

I don't know if the islands really become that cold at sea level but at altitude they sure can get cold. I recall during my visit to the Big Island I stayed at a Japanese restaurant/hotel at altitude (1,000+ ft) and it got down to the upper 40s/low 50s at night and was rainy too.

Here is a three minute clip from Try to Remember and is titled "Crouching Lion Inn", one of the MPI videos I have on youtube and posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wRSzJJIpsA

NBC has blocked your video.

This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Sisophous »

Sam wrote:

NBC has blocked your video.

This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
I don't know, it plays fine for me. If I put up an entire show I can see it raising concern but a clip seems absurd. There are many clips posted on youtube and they allow it.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Sam »

Hi Sisophous,
I agree but I'm not able to view it.Thought you would like to know.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Sisophous »

Sam wrote:Hi Sisophous,
I agree but I'm not able to view it.Thought you would like to know.
I now see that, thanks for the heads up, the video police must be on the march.

I posted 6 MPI videos on youtube and after going into my video manager moments ago, 3 of the 6 have been "blocked worldwide". Not sure why the other 3 are permitted or the video police are on a coffee break and will return.

Ridiculous. :x

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

We have been twice on Oahu in novembers and we always has strong winds on the beach - particularly around Robins nest.
The mountains behind the Pahonu Estate catch up a lot of clouds and prevent the sun from shining very often - so the window for a sunny shot is very small.

I have no idea if that's better during the summer months though.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by steveadl »

Based on my experience on Oahu, I'd say two big factors would come into play here as well:

1 - The weather in the shots would depend where they are filming on the island ie. in Waikiki you can have sun shining and looking the perfect summer day. Turn around and look into the hills, and its cloudy and raining.

2 - I imagine it would take hours of crew work to set up a location for filming even a 3 minute scene on location. Save for waiting a few mins here and there maybe for rain to stop, once set up they pretty much have to shoot the planned scenes. The weather on Oahu even in the beach areas can change to a beautiful morning shower, then clear up and become sunny the rest of the day. Regardless of the weather at the moment, the crew is set up and have to shoot.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Sisophous wrote:The episode Try To Remember comes to mind. Magnum is wearing a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled back on his visit to the boutique, after going to the Crouching Lion Inn.
That would be the one I think of . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Brian »

Another episode is "Deja Vu" from season 6. Magnum and Higgins go to England to prepare Robin Masters' latest purchase, a castle. I remember TM wearing a cool sweater and coat in it.
Sneakers Higgins!!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by 308GTS »

To be honest with you, it hardly ever looks sunny, but overcast or not I'm sure it's warm.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Sam »

308GTS wrote:To be honest with you, it hardly ever looks sunny, but overcast or not I'm sure it's warm.
It can get cold,relatively speaking.The record low in Honolulu is 52 while 43 is record low in Kanehoe.Add some rain and it's cold.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by The Birdman »

308GTS wrote:To be honest with you, it hardly ever looks sunny, but overcast or not I'm sure it's warm.
Yeah, it's probably about 70 to 80 degrees F.
I had wanted to move to hawaii to be in a sunnier place, but I started researching and got worried that it would be to overcast for me. I'm coming from Oregon and I'm tired of the gloom.
Uh PHRASING!!!!