The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#781 Post by Pahonu »

JJ,

I'm sending you the latest version of my model. I already gave Conch the OK.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#782 Post by Sam »

me too,me too Please

Pahonu

#783 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote:me too,me too Please
I just got a message in my e-mail that it didn't send because the file is too large! :( I'll see if I can figure something else out.

Pahonu

#784 Post by Pahonu »

My other e-mail won't work either, damn. Maximum 10,000 KB and the model is 18,000+.

Any ideas JJ?

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#785 Post by steveadl »

I'd love to see it as well if you figure out a way Pahonu :magnum:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#786 Post by Sam »

Pahonu wrote:My other e-mail won't work either, damn. Maximum 10,000 KB and the model is 18,000+.

Any ideas JJ?
Can you put it in a zip file? I don't how it's done but someone else may know.

Pahonu

#787 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote:
Pahonu wrote:My other e-mail won't work either, damn. Maximum 10,000 KB and the model is 18,000+.

Any ideas JJ?
Can you put it in a zip file? I don't how it's done but someone else may know.
Maybe, but someone will have to tell me how.

For those of you asking, JJ has an older, though still very detailed version, linked to the Robin's Nest page on this site. http://magnum-mania.com/Pahonu.zip

It's on a zip listed at 17+MB. My current model is 18+MB.

I don't remember this problem when I sent him the last version, but it's substantially the same. Only some minor changes in light of new information.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#788 Post by The Birdman »

So, how much was the Pahonu actually used in the show?

My dad says that they never shot inside the Pahonu, all indoor seens were shot somewhere else. TMs guest quarters are actually the boat house, again: not actually filmed inside the boat house. The boat house, I am sure, does not look a thing like what we saw on TV. Then today I was looking at google earth and I noticed how the driveway comes in beside the gate house. In the TV series I recall the gate being located in a wall, no house beside thw gate that TM drove through. Was any of that even filmed at the Pahonu?

I'm learning more and more that this house had less and less to do with the TV series.
I think the old lady is dreaming when she wants almost $16mil, almost twice the assessed/appraised values, in this decimated econemy. :roll:
Uh PHRASING!!!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#789 Post by KENJI »

The Birdman wrote:So, how much was the Pahonu actually used in the show?

My dad says that they never shot inside the Pahonu, all indoor seens were shot somewhere else. TMs guest quarters are actually the boat house, again: not actually filmed inside the boat house. The boat house, I am sure, does not look a thing like what we saw on TV. Then today I was looking at google earth and I noticed how the driveway comes in beside the gate house. In the TV series I recall the gate being located in a wall, no house beside thw gate that TM drove through. Was any of that even filmed at the Pahonu?

I'm learning more and more that this house had less and less to do with the TV series.
I think the old lady is dreaming when she wants almost $16mil, almost twice the assessed/appraised values, in this decimated econemy. :roll:
Hi Birdman,
It was filmed there, but it was mostly for the outside of the building scenes: upper lanai shots, courtyard shots, tidal pool, tennis court, gate and driveway shots etc. Your dad is right......indoors scenes were shot at the Diamond Head studio. The boathouse definitely doesn't look anything like T.M.'s pad on the inside and is much smaller. The gatehouse is seen in the show on a few occasions so that part is true. I hope this helps.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#790 Post by The Birdman »

KENJI wrote:

Hi Birdman,
It was filmed there, but it was mostly for the outside of the building scenes: upper lanai shots, courtyard shots, tidal pool, tennis court, gate and driveway shots etc. Your dad is right......indoors scenes were shot at the Diamond Head studio. The boathouse definitely doesn't look anything like T.M.'s pad on the inside and is much smaller. The gatehouse is seen in the show on a few occasions so that part is true. I hope this helps.
I'm going to have to go pull out my DVDs, but the way I remember the gate, it had a wall coming upto it running along the road, I recall people scaling said wall beside the gate. But in the arial pics and street view and a pic posted on google earth, you would drive in and alongside the gate house, between bushes and the wall of said gate house. Has the location of the gate been moved?
I was looking at pics on google earth (the ones people posted) and the boat house looks thrashed, it has chain link fence nailed up over a window, looks like hell. Like I said before, as a former realtor, I think it is WAY over priced. Does anybody know; does the inside even resemble the floor plan on MPI?
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#791 Post by Sam »

Pahonu

#792 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:

Hi Birdman,
Hey Birdman,

Kenji's right. They filmed at the estate alot. In fact there are very few episodes without it. The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club and The Hotel Dick come to mind, but there aren't many more. The gate house is not seen often close up, but if you look at most shots of the Ferrari coming up the drive toward the main house, you can see it out by the perimeter wall next to the gate. It's two stories. Every time they show Magnum run up the steps onto the lanai of the boat house, that's Pahonu. They then cut to interiors of the guest house at the sound stage. This is very common practice in the industry. Because the walls and ceiling are movable on the stage, they can control the lighting and sound better than in an actual room. The truly odd part, though, is the show depicts the guest/boat house in a different place relative to the main house than is reality. We on the forum have pondered that one for a while. They do the same switch from Pahonu to the soundstage in scenes showing the doors of the main house at the driveway of the estate.

You should download Google SketchUp (it's free) and view my model.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#793 Post by KENJI »

Hey Birdman,
I don't think the interior is close at all to what we see on the show which shouldn't come as much of a surprise since we are dealing with Hollywood. If you take a look at the old HFO footage and still pics you get a hint of the inside and it is different to MPI. Having said that, the exterior is exactly what we see on the show and is incredible. As Sam was saying the gate has never moved, but the guest house is in a different location to what you see in the show. In the show we are fooled into believing it is behind the main house, but it is not. Watch J Digger Doyle......you will see Rick at the front gate firing his machine gun and you will see the gatehouse.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#794 Post by Sam »

What am I doing wrong??

[/img]Image

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#795 Post by Sam »

Hi Birdman..here's another view.