Gamers, lookie here!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#16 Post by Shermy »

golf, as soon as you jump over the fish, tap up again. When Magnum lands, he will immediately jump a second time. You can also wait until Magnum touches down, then immediately tap up- but the first way is easier.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#17 Post by golfmobile »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I finally made it over! I just kept tapping "up" repeatedly from as soon as he went up over the fish till he finally landed. He looked pretty silly leaping all over the place . . . . but he stayed alive! I thought that was what I was doing before anyway, but it didn't work then and did this time, so I'll take it. Must be the magic touch acquired after you told me how! Thanks! (Now can I do it again???? :shock: :? )

But if I fail the second level, do I have to go through the first level every time to get to the second level?

This is so silly -- and so addictive!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#18 Post by Shermy »

golfmobile wrote:But if I fail the second level, do I have to go through the first level every time to get to the second level?
It will if you select "Continue". This takes you back to the start of the "mission" you were own, rather than the last level you actually played of that mission. (The game is divided up into a training mission, and five 'normal' missions.)

So always use "Level Select" instead. This will allow you to go right back to the level you died on. Also, whenever you complete a level, make sure you continue playing the new level until you lose all your lives. This will insure that the level is added to the "Level Select" option.

For example, I got to level 8 and just immediately closed the program. When I started it back up later, level 7 was the highest I select from. :cry:

Anyway, great job on making the jump. The method of tapping up in advance of a jump is a key technique to mastering the game. But you don't want to hit it more than once, or Magnum will just go hopping all over the place. This will quickly lead to disaster on the later levels. :lol:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#19 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, I see I can start at the second level once I get there. Now I just can't get past the platform to the gear. And I've finally figured out how you start out with 5 "lives" (attempts) to complete the "training."

Sorry, it's just be a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time since I've played a game like this. It's coming back to me . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

#20 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

Now I'm stuck on level 3. Which way is the easier way?
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#21 Post by Shermy »

MagnumPI_Cat wrote:Now I'm stuck on level 3. Which way is the easier way?
The lower path is generally easier.

For level 3:

Jump twice on to the first two platforms, then allow Magnum to simply run off onto the lower path. You'll have a couple of jumps before you reach a steampipe and buzzsaw. This is the trickiest part of the bottom path.

You need to time your jump a little early, and press down to crouch as soon as you land by the steampipe. Then as soon as you clear the steam, you need to jump to clear the buzzsaw. It will take some practice to get the timing right for this.

From there, you simply need to make a few more jumps and you're home free. Just remember that you can register a jump before you actually land, by tapping up while in midair. This will help you jump as soon as you land, which you need to do on some of the shorter platforms.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

Shermy,

Well, I've finally gotten to Level 9. How many are there?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#23 Post by golfmobile »

Shermy,

Okay, I give up. What's the secret of getting through on Level 9? I can't get up to the upper levels of the dock and I can get over the dead fish once I jump to land. Just keep practicing timing? Or is there a better way than the lower level that I just haven't figured out yet.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#24 Post by Shermy »

Yeah, that last jump is pretty tricky on the lower level. Use the little green plant as a marker. Jump when you reach it, but make sure you hold the "up" a little longer than normal. This will allow you to jump farther than simply tapping it.

However, you want to be ready to jump as soon as you land in front of the fish, so go ahead and tap it once more as you're coming down. After clearing the fish, you may need to jump over a bullet. It will look like a patch of sand heading towards Magnum.

Personally, I think the middle path may be the easiest route here. After jumping the first fish, jump when you reach the dollar sign near the end of the walkway. You'll land right in front of a fish, so be ready to jump immediately (by tapping "up" while you are coming down towards the fish). After that, there's a couple of jumps and one or two birds you need to duck under. You will drop off past the tricky jump/dead fish of the lower path. Just be ready to jump that bullet if you see it coming.

Btw, there are 22 levels overall.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#25 Post by golfmobile »

Shermy,

Thanks! Will try that (when I don't have a couple of margaritas under my belt! as I do right now!). I think I did get over that last dead fish ONCE and then the bullet got me. If I recall, I jumped instead of ducking. Never could get back to that point again.

22 levels!!! :shock: :shock: Okay, I've got a lot to go. Have you mastered them all??? I assume so, if you know there are 22 of them!

Silly game, . . . . but addictive. (But I haven't seen his red parrot shirt since Level 5.)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Come on golf, you can do it. We're pullin' for ya!

Perhaps you can call T.C. from a pay phone, and bring in some air support?! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!