Gamers, lookie here!

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

Gamers, lookie here!

#1 Post by SelleckLover »

Saw this post on the VMO2 Website:

Magnum P.I. to investigate mobile phones
Facial hair, loud shirts... they don't make 'em like this any more

Product: Magnum P.I.
Developer: Ojom
Publisher: Ojom
Genre: Action, Film/ TV tie- in
by Stuart Dredge
There aren't enough high-quality moustaches in the world of mobile games. Thankfully, Ojom is doing its bit to remedy that sad state of affairs, with the release of Magnum P.I.

It's based on the classic '80s detective TV show, which starred Tom Selleck (partnered by his moustache and Ferrari 308 GTS) as all-action private investigator, Thomas Magnum.

You get to play him, catching Hawaiian criminals and recovering stolen loot in this action adventure. You'll train up, then take on various tasks leading you to the bad guys, before rescuing your kidnapped mate Higgins.

The game promises 20 levels, with all manner of jumping and sliding. It should provide a nostalgic pang for mobile gamers of a certain age, while younger players will think the bloke who went out with Monica in Friends is now starring in his own game.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

AWESOME!

I need to get me some of this!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for the "heads up" SelleckLover!

Ha, a Magnum-themed, java-based, platform-style game for mobile phones!? Color me surprised! :shock:

Funny, isn't it. A show that heavily featured pay phones now has a game themed after it for MOBILE phones. ;)

Here's a write-up of the game, with some screen shots:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/mobile-gaming/ ... 326593.php
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#4 Post by N1095A »

Don't try to convince me that MPI isn't as popular (if not more) than ever. :lol:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Hey, Doc,

When you find out where you can actually GET it and how much it costs, let me know! Larry was asking me what I want for Christmas . . . . can you imagine what he'll say if I tell him this? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just checked my cell phone to see if it's java-enabled, so I can play it, and it is. But I'm not sure my aging eyesight will allow me to see a video game on a screen just over a inch in size! How could you ever SEE anything?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'll definitely check into it!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:When you find out where you can actually GET it and how much it costs, let me know!
Mobile Mania (heh!) has a download:

http://mobimaniacs.blogspot.com/2007/11 ... -game.html

Not sure about the cost. I can't find anything on it ... anywhere! I also keep seeing references to a "European release", so I'm not even sure if this will work on U.S. phones. But I know virtually nothing about mobile games. My phone is older than dirt! ;)

There is even already a YouTube video out:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/magnu ... 4128492370

Super Mario Brothers flashbacks! And is it just me, or is Magnum wearing sandals??

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

Why is Paddy MacGuinness shooting at Magnum at the end?

:shock:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

That is hysterical!!! ROTFLMAO!!

Okay, I downloaded it (free from that ".rar" site) and have unzipped everything. Now what do I do with it? It's on my computer right now, but I've never played video games on my cell phone. What do I need to do to get it on my phone (I'm assuming it won't work on a computer -- or does anyone know how to convert it so it will? I'd be happier playing it on the computer - bigger screen to view). Do I just email the .jar files to my cell phone?

This is truly not desperately important. I'm just curious. However, I just wish ojom had made it a plain old computer video game. I would've probably bought it, regardless of how "simple" it is compared to current video games. I like the old style like this -- what I learned on . . . .

Oh, and from what I gathered from the youtube link, it does NOT use the MPI music -- just some other video game music. Isn't that strange? They can get the license to make the game but can't get the license for the music?

I'm going to Google how to use it on my cell phone and/or how to convert it to PC use.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#10 Post by Shermy »

You generally need to download games through your carrier in order to play them on your phone. This one is created by a European company, and didn't receive a US release.

However, you can play virtually anything on your computer if you have the right emulator. Apparently, there's a very popular one for mobile games called, "MPowerPlayer". I tried it out, but it appeared to have trouble playing the UK release. (It would run, but the screen flashed constantly.) I ended up using one called, Sjboy Emulator. You can download the English version HERE.

It's definitely an odd little game, with some hilarious island music playing throughout. But instead of making a traditional action game, someone got the bright idea to have Magnum constantly running. The end result is a game closer to a space shooter like Defender than a platformer like Super Mario. Magnum gets his Tigers hat and jeans in level 2, but the gameplay definitely requires good reflexes. If you forget to jump or duck even once, you lose a life! :shock:

For anyone who wants to play the game, I'll try to walk you through the steps required to make it work. It looks really confusing, but is actually quite simple.

1. Download the game file from the above LINK. (Click the "Free" option, then wait for the countdown to inform you that the file is ready to download.)

2. Now you need to open the file using a program called WinRAR. If you don't have it, you'll find an English version HERE. (Scroll down to where it says "WinRAR and RAR 3.71 release".)

Create a new folder for the Magnum game. Now open the game file using WinRAR, and "Extract" all the contents into the newly created Magnum folder. (You don't really have to create a folder, but it does keep things a lot neater.)

3. Download the Sjboy Emulator. (Doesn't that sound like something Marvin the Martian would use to try and destroy the Earth?) Once downloaded, run the file and it will automatically install itself.

4. Open the folder you created for Magnum. You'll notice 4 "zip" files that say Magnum PI. You can open all four, but only one actually played correctly on the emulator. So open the file titled, "Magnum PI E61". You can do this by right clicking or double clicking on the file. Using Winzip, "Extract" the files into the same Magnum folder.

Note: In case you don't already have a Winzip program on your computer, you can download that HERE.

5. You will now have a second file in your Magnum folder titled, "Magnum PI E61". Right click on it, then select "Open With". You should now see "Sjboy Emulator" appear as an option. Click on that in order to start the emulator program.

6. You should now see the emulator program open in a new window. It looks like a large cellphone, and you can change the appearance by selecting from 4 different styles under "Choose Phone".

7. To control the game, use the Enter key to start and the directional keys to move. Up/Down will make Magnum jump or slide. You can also use the ALT key to pause the game.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

shermy,

Thanks so much! I got all four of the "chapters" working on my computer, but the other three (other than the E61 that you said works, which worked for me too) were tilted sideways 90 degrees, and I couldn't figure out how to rotate the little phone window. Also, the N80 one was enlarged to the point that it wouldn't show all of the playing scene in the little, viewable window. And the program did not allow clicking on the edges of the window and pulling it out to resize it.

Additionally, FYI, I found the Sony Ericsson phone to provide the largest viewing screen, and if I used the mouse on the phone's buttons, that worked for jumping, etc., so you don't have to use your keyboard -- you CAN use the phone buttons.

Hope this helps anyone else who tries it. But . . . .

I need a lot of practice! I haven't played this kind of game for quite a while, and right now, I can't get him past the first stage.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#12 Post by Shermy »

Glad it worked, golf!

Incidentally, the game appears to have a really bad design flaw. The 'Main Menu' features Magnum standing on a beach. If you move him left or right, he'll run from screen to screen- essentially cycling through the available game options (ie. Start Game; Exit Game; Help; etc).

The problem is, whenever you lose a game, you are automatically taken to the "High Scores" part of the main menu. So if you want to continue playing the game, you have to run Magnum all the way back to the "Start Game" option. Once you get there, you finally have the option to "Continue". It's really tedious, especially considering how easy it is to lose a game.

Btw, parrot shirt in mission 5!

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

#13 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

I really want this on my phone. Any ideas on how to get it on there?
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Three cheers for Shermy. Hip, Hip, Hooray! Hip, Hip, Hooray! Hip, Hip, Hooray! :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I really messed up this thread by posting that too-big picture. I tried deleting it from the website where it was, but that didn't work in "narrowing" the window so we can read the messages without going back and forth. Can you delete what's left, so maybe this thread will be more readable? Sorry for the trouble.

Shermy,

I need more advice. I can't get him past the first level. Every time I get to the end of running down the piers/docks (whatever they are) and jump over the dead fish at the end, then jump to the platform, then I try to jump to the cliff/ground from the last platform, he falls down in between the platform and the cliff. What's the secret here?

Also, I notice that when I'm playing it, at least, as he's running down the docks, a lot of the time he seems to be jumping when I'm not hitting the key to make him jump. Maybe I just need a lot more time playing with this, but as of right now, I'm not "getting it."

golf
"Portside, buddy."