Magnum P.I. Quizzes @ FunTrivia.com

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum P.I. Quizzes @ FunTrivia.com

#16 Post by Reef monkey »

Sisophous wrote:The question about Higgins admitting to be Robin Masters is confusing but he did admit to it and then denied it. So, regardless if he denied it, he admitted to it initially.
Not so fast. Look at the exact wording of the question:

"At the end of the final episode, Higgins admits finally that he is Robin Masters."

You'd be right if the question said "IN the final episode, Higgins finally admits that he is Robin Masters." But it specifically says "At the END." The END of the final episode is the wedding scene, where Higgins says "I lied." His supposed admission that he was RM did not occur at the end, it occurred earlier in the episode. Also note the peculiar word order of "admits finally" instead of the more common "finally admits." "Admits finally" indicates "admits with finality," as in, his admission that he was RM was the last word on whether or not he was RM. But that is not the case, "I lied" is the final word on whether or not he was. So, between his supposed admission not occurring at the end of the episode, and his final word being that he lied, the answer to that question should have been "False", and the quiz writer screwed up. :wink:
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Sisophous »

Reef monkey wrote:
Sisophous wrote:The question about Higgins admitting to be Robin Masters is confusing but he did admit to it and then denied it. So, regardless if he denied it, he admitted to it initially.
Not so fast. Look at the exact wording of the question:

"At the end of the final episode, Higgins admits finally that he is Robin Masters."

You'd be right if the question said "IN the final episode, Higgins finally admits that he is Robin Masters." But it specifically says "At the END." The END of the final episode is the wedding scene, where Higgins says "I lied." His supposed admission that he was RM did not occur at the end, it occurred earlier in the episode. Also note the peculiar word order of "admits finally" instead of the more common "finally admits." "Admits finally" indicates "admits with finality," as in, his admission that he was RM was the last word on whether or not he was RM. But that is not the case, "I lied" is the final word on whether or not he was. So, between his supposed admission not occurring at the end of the episode, and his final word being that he lied, the answer to that question should have been "False", and the quiz writer screwed up. :wink:
This is splitting hairs, I thought Higgins admitted to being Robin Masters "TOWARD" the end of the episode (I do not have the time this happened but think it is well after the half way mark of 24 minutes), so the phrasing, "AT THE END OF THE EPISODE", is legit that he admitted to being Robin Masters.

The phrasing is unclear, it should have been, did Higgins EVER admit to being Robin Masters in the final episode?

I think the quiz writer did this purposely to stump people, knowing half would get it right and half would get it wrong.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

Season 1 - 10/10
Season 2 - You scored: 522 / 1000 - I pooped the bed
Season 3 - You scored: 4 / 10 - Even worse!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#19 Post by Pahonu »

Season 1 10/10
Easy start.

Season 2 8/10
I guessed on a couple and got lucky, but missed the icepick question and magnum's blood type.

Season 3 7/10
I knew Willie's real name was Theresa (though I spelled it wrong), but no clue the last name was Henderson. Also missed the question about Rick's toast from I Do? and from Two Birds of a Feather.

Season 4 10/10
My highest score yet 939/1000. I didn't realize you got points for speed when I took the first quiz.

Season 5 9/10
I forgot he sees the ghost of Mac at the end. I was thinking of the Jim Bonnack character.

Season 6 8/10
Missied another Icepick question and one about Rick.

Season 7 9/10
Just missed another perfect score. Couldn't remember who wrote "Murder By Night" and guessed wrong.

Season 8 9/10
So close again. The first one referenced Lily's death and I knew she didin't die so I answered differently and missed it.

Lots of fun!
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Sisophous »

ConchRepublican wrote:Season 1 - 10/10
Season 2 - You scored: 522 / 1000 - I pooped the bed
Season 3 - You scored: 4 / 10 - Even worse!
Seasons 2 and 3 are very difficult, some questions are off the wall like Higgin's blood type which Magnum told the operator he has after being shot.

The Willie question I should have known, Basket Case is one of my favorite episodes. Dana Hill, aka Willie gave her full name while telling off Magnum in front of the other boys on the Estate basketball court

Pahonu was honest about season 2, to score 8/10 you have to guess right on some.

RamblerReb
Commander

#21 Post by RamblerReb »

Took the "Survellance" quiz, scored 9/10, missed Higgins's regiment (full disclosure: I guessed the chopper ID number, but I did know the Ferrari's license plate number from the pilot).
I know how this looks, but I can explain!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by MagnumILWU »

Same for me! The Robin Masters question! Got all others correct! And that question as far as I'm concerned! He recanted, and admitted he lied, and wasn't Robin Masters.
"pickled egg please"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sorry that I'm late to the party. I just got back from vacation. :)

Just took the surveillance quiz (the first one at the very top) and got all of them right, yet somehow scored 795/1000. Seems like kind of a goofy scoring system where if you get all of the answers correct you get a high "C". Kind of reminds me of my 10th grade Science teacher. You know who you are. You know I should of gotten a "B"! ;)

Anyway, fun stuff. Although I do have a problem with whoever created the quiz categorizing T.C. as Magnum's "long-suffering side kick". What the.... T.C. and Magnum are best friends. They served in 'Nam for crying out loud! "Long-suffering side kick" my a$$! Ok, I feel better now. Feels good to get that off my chest. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Stelth »

I'm a member of that site. I am going to make my own Magnum quiz after I see the entire series. Here's a link to the quizzes I have made: http://www.funtrivia.com/quizlist2.cfm? ... 1&rank=yes

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:I do have a problem with whoever created the quiz categorizing T.C. as Magnum's "long-suffering side kick". What the.... T.C. and Magnum are best friends. They served in 'Nam for crying out loud! "Long-suffering side kick" my a$$! Ok, I feel better now. Feels good to get that off my chest. :)

Funny, but the comment was made light heartedly. I think the Magnum P.I. series revolved 99% around Tom Selleck/Magnum when it first came to script, and the producer intended everyone else to be a side kick. What happened is each of the other lead cast, Higgins, TC and Rick had a strong personality and it grew on the viewers which made it all work. TC did suffer in virtually every episode he appeared. If it wasn't bullet holes in his chopper window, it was Magnum stiffing him and promising to pay him back which he seldom did. One thing about Magnum, he was always using people, we all know people in real life like that and grow sick of them. Yet Magnum was loyal, honest and reliable which made us overlook his faults. I think TC did bare the worst of all the lead characters from Magnum, and Magnum never paid his gas fare when riding on the chopper.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I know, I get that. He's sort of a "side kick" (but not really) and does suffer somewhat with regards to Magnum (although I stand my conviction that Magnum always pays T.C. back (we just don't see it on screen)), but there's something about those two words together that just rubs me the wrong way. You just can't easily label or pigeonhole T.C. like that. He's the funkiest cat on the islands! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#27 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:Yeah, I know, I get that. He's sort of a "side kick" (but not really) and does suffer somewhat with regards to Magnum (although I stand my conviction that Magnum always pays T.C. back (we just don't see it on screen)), but there's something about those two words together that just rubs me the wrong way. You just can't easily label or pigeonhole T.C. like that. He's the funkiest cat on the islands! ;)
I agree, T.C. really isn't a sidekick, especially being TM's best friend. Rick? OK, maybe, a little bit .... the characters were so well developed that the sidekick tag is a detriment to their value, to both the show and Magnum himself.

If anything, being an objective observer to things (if you were a part of the show), with Rick and T.C. being fairly well grounded with their careers and lives (aside from Rick falling in love with every woman he meets) one being on the outside looking in may look at TM, with his shorts, Hawai'ian shirts and general goofiness, as their sidekick. The guy they hang with and provide grounding and support for.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04