Magnum's Holster Aversion

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Magnum's Holster Aversion

#1 Post by Stelth »

I've seen a few episodes here and there where Thomas uses a holster but those are by far an anomaly. Usually when T.M. takes his .45 he tucks it in the back of his pants. I have a .45 and when I first got it I tried this around my house. It didn't take long to realize that this technique was less than satisfactory.
The Colt is a heavy gun and slips easily just walking around...try running a few steps and you'll most likely have the gun slide down and out of your shorts. Why would someone who prided himself on being a professional carry his gun this way? Any ideas? To me this is the silliest aspect of the Magnum character. Just ask Plaxico Burress.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum's Holster Aversion

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I always thought that was "TV cool" more than anything else.

There used to be a time when it was a big deal, maybe it was a better effect to see, someone putting on or taking off a shoulder holster. I remember having a bunch of them as a kid with my toys. But that was based upon the jacketed detective, of which TM certainly was anything but.

It wouldn't have taken much to add an inside the pants clip holster since TM usually was in jeans for those scenes IIRC, but I chalk it up to poetic license and reinforcing the casualness of the character.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Stelth »

Casualness is a good way to describe it.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

He's a P.I., not a detective. Why would he wear a holster? Real P.I.'s don't need no stinkin' holster! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:He's a P.I., not a detective. Why would he wear a holster? Real P.I.'s don't need no stinkin' holster! :)
Umm, Private Investigator. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

ConchRepublican wrote:Umm, Private Investigator. :wink:

ROTFLMAO!! :lol:

Good one CR!

:magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

Boom!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! :)

In all seriousness though, isn't it "Private Eye" that he doesn't like (not P.I.)? P.I. is short for "private investigator" and is also in the name of the show. Surely he doesn't mind being called a P.I.. Or am I not remembering something right? Did Magnum ever get upset about being called a "P.I."? I thought it was just "Private Eye" that he didn't like being called?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

J.J. I truly believe you're right..it was just the irony and timeing of the response that struck me as hilarious! A line from TM's own mouth and so appropriate to the situation.

Good stuff!

:D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by The Birdman »

I think when he wore a holster it was his military shoulder holster and only when he was wearing fatigues and on a suedo(sp) military operation.
Not useing a holster was and still is "TV cool" as some one else said. The people who make TV shows know Jack $hit about guns and gun safety. I cringe at TMs trigger discipline now that I'm older and better trained. Note when you watch the show that as soon as he has the gun in his hand his finger is on the trigger. Modern training dictates keeping your trigger finger straight out along the side of the frame untill ready to fire. NOT IN THE TRIGGER GUARD!
I still carry mexican (the term for carrying without a holster) on occasion, but not SOB (small of back) like TM, I'll carry at 3 o'clock, without a holster if I am just walking outside or something, but yeah, try walking far and it will slip out your pant leg.
I think Mexican Federalies (sp) used to, maybe still do carry a 1911 without a holster, that's what I was told when I was in Mexico once.
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Stelth »

Even a "string" holster is better.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#12 Post by The Birdman »

Stelth wrote:Even a "string" holster is better.
Yes. How many people know what a string holster is? LOL. I use a clip-draw a lot of the time. http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php ... how_detail
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Stelth »

Do you carry the 1911? I've never carried mine concealed; too big, heavy and shiny (it's ss) I carry my Glock 26 instead.

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by The Birdman »

Stelth wrote:Do you carry the 1911? I've never carried mine concealed; too big, heavy and shiny (it's ss) I carry my Glock 26 instead.
Yes. I feel that a 1911 carries better than a G26 when carried IWB. I have a G26 also, it is my pocket gun.
I can easily conceal a 1911 under a larger t-shirt, hawaiian shirt or dickies mechanic shirt, been doing so for 16~ years. :wink:
Uh PHRASING!!!!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Stelth »

Maybe one day I'll try my Colt. For now I'm really happy with my Glock, and very confident with it.