Collecting Magnum Stuff

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MBJR9
Commander

#136 Post by MBJR9 »

rubber chicken wrote:Thanks MBJR9. Is that a state of Hawaii web site?

This area is probably one of the highest taxed in the state. As I said, I don't have a great deal of knowledge about property taxes, and zero about how it can vary by different states and counties. Is it possible that Hawaii state property tax only taxes the value of the home, and not the land? Because then it would make much more sense to me.
Yes, it is a state site. Most states/counties have something similar although some are more informative than others. I actually used to be a P.I. in a former life so I've kind of developed a knowledge of sites such as that one.

Actually, Hawaii has one of the lowest tax rates in the country. Someone who pays $2000-$3000 in Hawaii would pay $8000-$10000 on the mainland. Here's an interesting article you might want to check out http://starbulletin.com/2005/05/05/news/story2.html.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#137 Post by rubber chicken »

Interesting article. The property tax rates really are low. Then again, as the article states, property values are going through the roof and so even with the low property tax rates people are still having to sell their homes because they can't pay their taxes. Odd situation.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#138 Post by SelleckLover »

Here is a team ring that is up for auction on eBay right now: (It looks pretty good in the pictures)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Q7dQQfviZ1

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#139 Post by N1095A »

SelleckLover wrote:Here is a team ring that is up for auction on eBay right now: (It looks pretty good in the pictures)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Q7dQQfviZ1
That's the one I have. It's a very nice ring, but beware, the ring appears to be unfinished.
The part that goes around the underside of your finger is the same width as the top. In other words it's unwearably thick/wide.
I had to cut mine down with a Dremel roto tool, and polish it just to be able to wear it.
The silver lends itself well to repolishing, and mine now looks loke it was made the way I have finished it.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue May 20, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#140 Post by Miss Q »

As far as property tax goes... I live on Long Island, NY on a 1/2 acrea of lang, no water in site.... My house is valued at $550,000 and I pay with a rebate a reduces tax rate of $8500 annually, without the rebate taxes would be a cool $12k.

My parents with the rebate and a verterans discount pay $15k annually.

What can I say, its insane. NY and California are the highest taxed in the country. There are other states that are close.

If Hawaii had a NY tax structure the estate would be costing roughly $65k annually.
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

MBJR9
Commander

#141 Post by MBJR9 »

N1095A wrote:I can't afford the Rolex GMT, but I have a Seiko that looks almost exactly like it. I also have the ring, bracelet, belt, buckle, Tigers cap, VMO2 cap, Camo Seal cap, olive shirt, tan shirt, Puma sneakers, Ray Ban aviators, Pro Lok lock picks with zippered leathercase, personalized autograph 8X10 Selleck photo. I'm working on a 1/18th scale TC's chopper, 1/18th scale Ferrari, Seasons 1-4 DVDs, etc,etc,etc,
Yeah, You could say I'm a collector.
On my list is a big one. I read a few years ago that there are props stored in the old studio building in Hawaii. Among them is the surf-ski. I'd love to buy that!
What kind of Puma's are they? They kind of resemble modern day Puma Roma's although those just arn't quite the same. I poked around on the net and just couldn't find one that matched. Thanks for the info!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#142 Post by golfmobile »

On this topic, I just found something on eBay that James might want to add a picture of to the "Tie Ins" merchandise. He has the Kidco Ferrari and helicopter pictured there, but there was apparently a set including four vehicles. James, check it out here:

Kidco Magnum Set

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Matt J
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#143 Post by Matt J »

What kind of Puma's are they? They kind of resemble modern day Puma Roma's although those just arn't quite the same. I poked around on the net and just couldn't find one that matched

They are Puma Easy Riders. Although you will not find the excact ones. At least I can't with the exception of e-bay and they are usually in weird sizes.

MBJR9
Commander

#144 Post by MBJR9 »

Yep, thanks for the info. I actually did a little more digging and did end up figuring it out. There are some current Puma's, or at least a LOT more recent, that are pretty close.

While searching for these shoes, I ran across a website that said Tom/Magnum wore the Puma's in early episodes and Addidas/Converse in the later episodes. Can anyone confirm this? I just watched episode 1 and 2 of season 5 and saw the Puma's!

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#145 Post by Vanity »

N1095A,

I'm impressed by your collection !
Any chance to see close-ups of the belt (to see what's on the buckle) and same with the bracelet ?
I know what you're thinking...

N1095A

#146 Post by N1095A »

Vanity wrote:N1095A,

I'm impressed by your collection !
Any chance to see close-ups of the belt (to see what's on the buckle) and same with the bracelet ?
The belt buckle has the US Navy Surface Warfare insignia. http://stores.uniforms-4you.com/catalog ... Esmall.jpg (mine is the gold Officer's version) It's similar to the buckle TM wore, except the insignia is larger on mine, and I don't have "MAGNUM" engraved below the insignia. I could make an exact replica pretty easily with a visit to my local Army Navy store, but the cool thing about my stuff is that I can wear it everyday, and only MPI fans would recognize it. The bracelet is one of several I have. This one bears the name Capt. Lewis P. Smith II, (a Vietnam era MIA from a neighboring town) and the date he went missing 5-30-68.

Magnum's MIA bracelet had the name Kenneth Ray Lancaster, and here is Lancaster's story:
SP4 Kenneth R. Lancaster was a team leader assigned to Headquarters & Headquarters Company Long Range Reconnaissance Platoon (LRRP) of the 9th Infantry Division. On January 3, 1968, Lancasters LRRP team was being extracted by helicopter from a designated pickup point in Khan Hoa Province, South Vietnam, near the city of Duc My.
About one minute after takeoff, a member of the team saw SP4 Lancaster hanging onto the right skid of the aircraft as the aircraft continued to gain altitude. The pilot was informed and requested to land. When it became evident that the pilot was not able to land due to rough terrain, immediate efforts were made to lower a rope. However, before the rescue attempt could be made, Lancaster fell from the skid of the aircraft while the helicopter was at an altitude of 1000 to 1500 feet above the ground.

The area in which Lancaster fell had heavy vegetation and a triple canopy jungle, creating a slim possibility that the trees and heavy vegetation may have broken Lancaster's fall to some degree. The area was searched that day and again on January 7 and January 8 by American and indigenous platoons without success.

Efforts to conduct a thorough search were limited because no one was able to pinpoint the precise location where Lancaster fell, and the area was under heavy enemy patrol. It was felt that there was a very high probability that the enemy knew the fate of SP4 Lancaster, alive or dead.

Kenny is one of nearly 2500 Americans still missing, prisoner or unaccounted for in Southeast Asia. Reports relating to these Americans continue to mount, and many authorities believe there are hundreds still alive in captivity today. The Vietnamese deny knowledge of Americans in Southeast Asia, and the U.S. Government only acknowledges the "possibility" that some remain.

It would be nothing short of miraculous if Kenny Lancaster survived falling 1000 feet into the jungle, but his family cannot mourn until it is known for certain that he is dead. They know someone has the answers. It is devastating to consider that he may have survived to know he was abandoned to the enemy.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue May 20, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanity
Rear Admiral

#147 Post by Vanity »

Big Mahalo N1095A, for all these information and close-up.
I know what you're thinking...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#148 Post by J.J. Walters »

N1095A wrote:Magnum's MIA bracelet had the name Kenneth Ray Lancaster, and here is Lancaster's story:
SP4 Kenneth R. Lancaster was a team leader assigned to Headquarters & Headquarters Company Long Range Reconnaissance Platoon (LRRP) of the 9th Infantry Division. On January 3, 1968, Lancasters LRRP team was being extracted by helicopter from a designated pickup point in Khan Hoa Province, South Vietnam, near the city of Duc My.
About one minute after takeoff, a member of the team saw SP4 Lancaster hanging onto the right skid of the aircraft as the aircraft continued to gain altitude. The pilot was informed and requested to land. When it became evident that the pilot was not able to land due to rough terrain, immediate efforts were made to lower a rope. However, before the rescue attempt could be made, Lancaster fell from the skid of the aircraft while the helicopter was at an altitude of 1000 to 1500 feet above the ground.

The area in which Lancaster fell had heavy vegetation and a triple canopy jungle, creating a slim possibility that the trees and heavy vegetation may have broken Lancaster's fall to some degree. The area was searched that day and again on January 7 and January 8 by American and indigenous platoons without success.

Efforts to conduct a thorough search were limited because no one was able to pinpoint the precise location where Lancaster fell, and the area was under heavy enemy patrol. It was felt that there was a very high probability that the enemy knew the fate of SP4 Lancaster, alive or dead.
I've always wondered what the story was behind Magnum's MIA bracelet. Thanks to you N, now I know! Excuse me, but I have something in my eye.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A

#149 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:
N1095A wrote:Magnum's MIA bracelet had the name Kenneth Ray Lancaster, and here is Lancaster's story:

I've always wondered what the story was behind Magnum's MIA bracelet. Thanks to you N, now I know! Excuse me, but I have something in my eye.
James and everyone interested, I urge you to visit www.nationalalliance.org to learn as much as you can about the POW/MIA issue. I guarentee you will get "something in your eye". I have been active with National Alliance, and the National League of POW/MIA families since I was 14 years old. TM, Rick, TC, Rick Simon (Simon & Simon), and Stringfellow Hawke (Airwolf) all wore bracelets. When I was young, this got me curious, and with a little investigation (remember there was no internet then) I learned the story behind the bracelets, and got involved. I encourage you all to do the same. There are personell who are unaccounted for from all US wars, including the current one. They will not be forgotten as long as there is someone to tell their stories.
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#150 Post by IslandHopper »

Nice work N. How were you able to determine the name on Magnum's MIA bracelet? I have tried to make the name out from several episodes, but I couldn't quite make it out. I received an MIA bracelet when I was in the military with the name of a fellow Floridian, Fredrick P. Crosby. Lt. Cdr., Fredrick P. Crosby was a Naval Aviator, shot down over North Vietnam in June 1965.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)