TV then & now

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Estate resident
Captain

TV then & now

#1 Post by Estate resident »

It amazes me how very good television was during the MPI production years & how deplorably bad it is today. Hawaii Five-0 coincidentally is the only show I can think of which comes close & interestingly is doing pretty good in a time when most television shows don't last more than a single season before being cancelled. < This IMO speaks volumes as to why a location shot television show like MPI would, if restarted today, would probably do just was well today as it did in 1981 or so.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: TV then & now

#2 Post by Sisophous »

Estate resident wrote:It amazes me how very good television was during the MPI production years & how deplorably bad it is today.
Yes, I agree the quality of television was better during the 80s but there are a few things at play IMO. In those days we had limited viewing options. Many people tuned into either CBS, NBC or ABC for their nightly viewing. We had limited choices, not like today where you have channels going into the 700s on my Cable provider. For the past 10+ years, I never tune into CBS, NBC or ABC, it is just lousy programming and the media NEWS outlets have turned radically left, they can't even deliver the news without spinning the story to fit their agenda.

Also, I recall Miami Vice was a mega hit back in the 80s, everyone seemed to view it, but I watched clips of it on a Magnum P.I. disc last night and could not believe I used to watch that show it had over the top violence with guns blazing almost every minute.

When you have so many television shows today, you get watered down talent, many people who have lousy skills but get hired as actors and actresses.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Standards are much lower nowadays than they were in the 80's.

Also we said the same thing in the 80's;

Standards are much lower nowadays than they were in the 50's.

Estate resident
Captain

#4 Post by Estate resident »

Yep...media overload. Life was better when there were only the BIG 3. Now there's simply too much and as you say it all gets watered down to the point nothing is very interesting or unique.
Last edited by Estate resident on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estate resident
Captain

#5 Post by Estate resident »

Sisophous wrote:
Estate resident wrote:It amazes me how very good television was during the MPI production years & how deplorably bad it is today.
Yes, I agree the quality of television was better during the 80s but there are a few things at play IMO. In those days we had limited viewing options. Many people tuned into either CBS, NBC or ABC for their nightly viewing. We had limited choices, not like today where you have channels going into the 700s on my Cable provider. For the past 10+ years, I never tune into CBS, NBC or ABC, it is just lousy programming and the media NEWS outlets have turned radically left, they can't even deliver the news without spinning the story to fit their agenda.

Also, I recall Miami Vice was a mega hit back in the 80s, everyone seemed to view it, but I watched clips of it on a Magnum P.I. disc last night and could not believe I used to watch that show it had over the top violence with guns blazing almost every minute.

When you have so many television shows today, you get watered down talent, many people who have lousy skills but get hired as actors and actresses.

MV was accurate in the sense Miami had over 600 murders in 1982.

danmerica2254
Ensign

#6 Post by danmerica2254 »

Exactly, it's the standards that have hit rock bottom. Just about everything applies not just tv. Heck the so called "talents" in music today wouldn't get a second look 30yrs ago.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Stelth »

One word to sum up our sad times: Kardashian.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

There are quite a few good shows on today (Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Mad Men, etc.), but they are all on cable. The vast majority of network television (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox) shows are horrible IMHO. It's especially bad when you throw in all of these bad reality and pseudo-reality TV shows (which weren't around in the 80's), although I do think some of them are good entertainment for what they are (Pawn Stars, American Restoration anybody?).

But you know, there were some pretty bad TV shows in all decades (including the 80's)! Let's face it, most of television is mind-melting crap when you really think about it. Good TV is rare, no matter which decade! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by 308GUY »

J.J.Walters wrote:Good TV is rare, no matter which decade! :wink:
Agreed.
J.J.Walters wrote:(Pawn Stars, American Restoration anybody?).
I watch Pawn Stars occasionally, more to see what people bring in than any other reason, always amazed at how much the shop owners expect to make on their sales!

I like American Restoration, cause I've always enjoyed turning other peoples "junk" into useable items, but rarely at the level that Rick and his guys do on a regular basis. Some of the work they've done is nothing short of amazing. :P
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:But you know, there were some pretty bad TV shows in all decades (including the 80's)! Let's face it, most of television is mind-melting crap when you really think about it. Good TV is rare, no matter which decade! ;)
Very true ..... thankfully time dims the memories of things like Automan, Quark, Manimal, Ten Speed and Brown Shoe, Joanie Loves Chachi, Holmes and Yo-Yo and Cop Rock leaving those relative few with staying power to shine.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

mikeaz123
Commander

#11 Post by mikeaz123 »

Estate resident wrote:It amazes me how very good television was during the MPI production years & how deplorably bad it is today. Hawaii Five-0 coincidentally is the only show I can think of which comes close & interestingly is doing pretty good in a time when most television shows don't last more than a single season before being cancelled. < This IMO speaks volumes as to why a location shot television show like MPI would, if restarted today, would probably do just was well today as it did in 1981 or so.

I'd actually argue that Hawaii Five 0 has become quite awful lately, with the exception of their remake of a show from the original series... which in my opinion was the best episode they've done. It's a shame they don't film in that style instead of trying to be CSI Honolulu. If they tone down the girlish arguments between Steve and Danno, it would improve greatly!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MagnumILWU »

Network shows now; NCIS, Blue Bloods,Castle, Grimm, The Mentalist, Person of Interest, and Elementary. On cable; Justified, Psych, Longmire, The Glades, Rizzoli & Isles, and The Killing. Shows I like, or enjoy watching on TV now. I grew-up with TV. I can remember turning on the TV for cartoons on Saturday morning, and it being so early, the only program on was RFD 6 (rural farm news)! That was in Portland Oregon, when all you had were the 3 network channels, and maybe a local one! In the 80's, like now, you had good programs and bad programs! Magnum pi, Spenser for Hire, Wiseguy, Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer, Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues, Simon & Simon, and a little known one called, Something is Out There! Shows I like from the 80'!
"pickled egg please"