The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Estate resident
Captain

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#616 Post by Estate resident »

That's definitely in a MPI fan's favor. In comparison alot of the big Miami Vice landmarks are gone. Then again for all intents & purposes MPI was a much more realistic show than MV. Although I can't see an early 1980's private investigator thinking he wouldn't stand out driving around Oahu in one of probably less than (5) red Ferrari 308's. The rest of the show was fairly realistic IMO.

It boils down to the estate which thankfully was, is, and always will be a real place.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#617 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"The rest of the show was fairly realistic"

You can realistically claim knowledge of any degree of realism in the show, only if you have been a resident (kama'aina) for at least a few decades where the show is situated. In the country it depicts. And, I am here today to tell you. It is not "fairly realistic". Sorry. But no.

I have a friend who knew a top well known detective here in the 60's. His beat was Chinatown. More old west than it was in da 80's. Still, this braddah never carried a gun. Magnum had a shoot out probably, oh what, every third episode? Nah. That ain't realistic. This is escapist fare. It ain't realism. We want realistic? We watch a documentary.
Read my post; Magnum traits. You will see.

And the things that every one assumes is unrealistic is realistic:
Here we have summer year round. I dunno what you all have on the mainland, wot. 5 seasons? Summer, spring autumn winter fall. We have sunny weather year 'round. Much of the time little fluffy clouds pass overhead making the day alternately cloudy slightly, (no shadows), and then bright sun. Someone mentions this as a continuity flub. It is not so much as they think it is.

Also, as I pointed out before, there are no seagulls in Hawai'i and yet, each and every dock scene, the foley artist went wild with misplaced, inappropriate seagull sound effects. Yet, no one considers this a flub. But it most emphatically is, and it is unrealistic. Plus, to add insult to injury on our aesthetic senses, the sound engineer places NO seagull sound effects anywhere else at any OTHER waterfront. ONLY the docks.
Nope. Unrealistic.

Estate resident
Captain

#618 Post by Estate resident »

I said FAIRLY realistic...not totally realistic. I agree on the shootout in Chinatown assessment. Magnum's Hi-Power has a lot longer range than just 40ft away & would have easily penetrated the gypsum drywall on all rooms he had shootouts in.

For a locale that has "year-round" summers I've been there in January & Waikiki beach's water was pretty freakin chilly.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#619 Post by ConchRepublican »

Braddah Kimo wrote:"The rest of the show was fairly realistic"

You can realistically claim knowledge of any degree of realism in the show, only if you have been a resident (kama'aina) for at least a few decades where the show is situated. In the country it depicts. And, I am here today to tell you. It is not "fairly realistic". Sorry. But no.

I have a friend who knew a top well known detective here in the 60's. His beat was Chinatown. More old west than it was in da 80's. Still, this braddah never carried a gun. Magnum had a shoot out probably, oh what, every third episode? Nah. That ain't realistic. This is escapist fare. It ain't realism. We want realistic? We watch a documentary.

Here we have summer year round. I dunno what you all have on the mainland, wot. 5 seasons? Summer, spring autumn winter fall. We have sunny weather year 'round. Much of the time little fluffy clouds pass overhead making the day alternately cloudy slightly, (no shadows), and then bright sun. Someone mentions this as a continuity flub. It is not so much as they think it is.

Also, as I pointed out before, there are no seagulls in Hawai'i and yet, each and every dock scene, the foley artist went wild with misplaced, inappropriate seagull sound effects. Yet, no one considers this a flub. But it most emphatically is, and it is unrealistic. Plus, to add insult to injury on our aesthetic senses, the sound engineer places NO seagull sound effects anywhere else at any OTHER waterfront. ONLY the docks.
Nope. Unrealistic.
C'mon Braddah . . . it's a TV show. We know we aren't looking out the window into the private lives of strangers. In comparison to the other "escapist fare" of the time I think it's easy to say that yes, Magnum PI is more grounded in the real world and more realistic than The A Team (no offense to you A-Team peeps out there), Equalizer, Knight Rider, Riptide or many other contemporaries.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#620 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"Waikiki beach's water was pretty freakin chilly." All waters here are "chilly" initially. You are in the hot sun. Try swimming for a while. It feels warmer. It should. If not, Doc Ibold will see you now.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#621 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"the estate is about half way between Sea Life Park and Waimanalo"
The estate is in Waimanalo.
Sea Life Park is at Makapu'u beach, thereinafter, we consider it all Waimanalo. Which stretches just past Bellows. Then we have my home, Lanikai. But there is no netherworld between Makapu'u and Waimanalo.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#622 Post by No need to know! »

ConchRepublican wrote:

Nope. Unrealistic.
C'mon Braddah . . . it's a TV show. We know we aren't looking out the window into the private lives of strangers. In comparison to the other "escapist fare" of the time I think it's easy to say that yes, Magnum PI is more grounded in the real world and more realistic than The A Team (no offense to you A-Team peeps out there), Equalizer, Knight Rider, Riptide or many other contemporaries.
Riptide was just plain silly in every way. Knight Rider and A-Team was made for children, and how realistic are children shows? I think Equalizer felt more realistic than the others mentioned, and the feel of the 80´s in New York was nice.
Onion´s extra?

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#623 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

Oh My Goodness!!! This user posted these videos of a guy who seems to have trespassed on the property!?!? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4BeL8nD14Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50y8j2XEWC4
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#624 Post by steveadl »

Pretty disrespectful to trespass on Mrs Anderson's property.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit though, it was interesting to see close up view of current state of boat house.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#625 Post by ConchRepublican »

Yeah, I agree with Steveadl ..... Not right disrespect Mrs. Anderson's property that way.

This is just the person who filmed it (who posted evidence of trespassing), imagine how much she has to deal with on a regular basis?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#626 Post by 308GUY »

Very disrespectful to have trespassed...BUuuuuuuuuuuT....maybe he was conducting a "security check"? :magnum: Guess the lads musta had a vet appointment that day? Well......at least he didn't go after the Ferrari! :lol:

Would be nice, I guess, for Mrs. A to host, or at least "allow" an "MPI fans visitors day", but I can't even imagine what all would be involved to do that, AND how many of us would be able to attend? I'd guess not too many.

Geez, aren't there any multi-millionairs on this board who can just buy the estate outright and turn it into the Magnum "shrine" that we'd all like it to be? Surprised Larry hasn't jumped on that yet!

I seriously doubt I'll ever get to any of the islands, but I sure do appreciate seeing the pics/vids of those who do. Not sure why, kinda like standing in front of Mt. Rushmore or the Empire State building, or.....well you get the idea. We want to be able to visit-identify-connect with that which is dear, overwhelming, impressive, or awe inspiring to us. What those things are is different for each of us, but there are some things that appeal to the masses in general, then there's the "groupies" that have those feelings for certain things. We here, like seeing/hearing things concerned with the show.. and the estate was as much a character in it as any of the cast, IMHO. :magnum:

Ok, rambling now....better get off!
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#627 Post by terryfromkerry »

You ramble eloquently 308GUY. I had a quick look at the trespass video. Higgins would be disgusted at the sun scorched lawns.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#628 Post by The Birdman »

Nope. Unrealistic.
Kimo, is this entirely true? Robins Nest is on the windward side, right? Wouldn't it be quite rainy there? I've been to Honolulu before and I remember foggy and rainy days there also.
I'm looking at buying real estate on the big island near Hilo and I'm starting to wunder if it would be too rainy for me?
Uh PHRASING!!!!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#629 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Kalai-pahoa wrote:Oh My Goodness!!! This user posted these videos of a guy who seems to have trespassed on the property!?!? :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4BeL8nD14Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50y8j2XEWC4
now this has given me an idea...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#630 Post by 308GUY »

TM: I know what you're thinking...and you're right! However.....(now where's that shot of Magnum with the shotgun taking out Higgins' dogfight plane.......?)

Would be cool though....like being there without actually "being" there. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"