Magnum's Jungle Bird shirt appears in Savages

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SouthEastAsiaTX
Lieutenant

Magnum's Jungle Bird shirt appears in Savages

#1 Post by SouthEastAsiaTX »

Just saw Savages this weekend. Magnum's jungle bird shirt is worn by one of the main characters. The set design has a beachy, tropical feel to it. The theme of the movie of course is very different from Magnum.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Braddah Kimo »

helluva movie. The magnum parrot shirt, red colorway, made by Paradise Found (Diamond head Sportswear) is ubiquitous here. DHS makes sure everyone knows of the lineage and legacy of the shirt., via this everpresent placard at the rack seen in every shop thru Waikiki...

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

I just HAVE to look through the rest of that rack!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Braddah Kimo »

It has the parrot shirt in other colorways. then the orchid shirt. And then all the basics offered by Diamond head sportswear, that probably would be wise to refrain from buying, as you would bump in to numerous tourons on Kalakaua Ave. wearing the same thing and you'll both be standing there scowling at each other like two wimmin at a party wearing the same dress and you will utter under your breath, "Bitch!" haha.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

So, you're saying "don't be THAT guy" . . .

We're hoping to get to Hawai'i this coming spring and I fully intend to geek out at least one day. Even going as far as renting a Ferrari (if possible) and driving it to the estate (or public beach) and swimming in the tidal pool.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Don't be any one of those guys. and there are many here. We still chuckle to see tourists all in matching aloha wear. BUT! hey. they are on holiday, spending their money on (hopefully) local merchandise from local vendors and who are we to judge or diss or rain on their parade? I love talking with these multitudes who arrive to our shores from all over the world and just as I thank a military service guy or gal for their sacrifice when i meet them, likewise, just as assuredly, I thank the tourist for choosing Hawaii out of all the numerous other destination choices and wish then a happy vacation. Regardless of our local government's penchant for destroying 'paradise" at every turn.
Oh; Ferarri rentals available at the intersection Kuhio/Kalakaua at that minimart gas station. Last I saw. BUT! i recommend not parking at the public beach parking for Waimanalo beach, nor park anywhere you intend to walk away for any length of time, from the ferarri.... save that for the rentawreck auto.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Lily »

Conch, please don't believe what has been written here about the famous red shirt or that tourists are all in matching aloha wear. Such pure unadulterated ...you know what!

We have spent the past ten years going to both Oahu and Maui and have seen stores selling this same shirt on both islands. Can assure you there are not loads of guys wearing this red shirt on Kalakaua Avenue or anywhere else.

If you go, buy your shirt, rent your Ferarri, swim in the tidal pool and have a wonderful time!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Braddah Kimo »

clarification. Not "all" tourists are in matching aloha wear. Some families are all dressed in the same print. We see that now and again. I have been witness this trend since, well, for 50 years here. It is not "all tourists".
I never said "loads of guys wearing this red shirt on Kalakaua Avenue" nor anything implying this nor anything similar to it. I did say many buy the popular designs created by Diamond Head Sportswear. Their Paradise Found line is seen often, and this includes many designs all of which are recognizeable and are seen often throughout Waikiki by someone who lives here, although possibly not by a tourist who does not live here.

Point was, the particular shirt although not Hawaiian in influence, (parrots...) is a popular print, it is ubiquitous and there happens to be sooo many other beautiful aloha shirts to wear, but of course alternately with the Magnum shirt. Case in point, I would check out Avanti wear, Kalakaua mauka side one block ewa of the international market place. Fabulous reissues of 40's designs.
ok Lily. tear it up now.

St Max Kolbe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by St Max Kolbe »

Lily wrote:Conch, please don't believe what has been written here about the famous red shirt or that tourists are all in matching aloha wear. Such pure unadulterated ...you know what!

We have spent the past ten years going to both Oahu and Maui and have seen stores selling this same shirt on both islands. Can assure you there are not loads of guys wearing this red shirt on Kalakaua Avenue or anywhere else.

If you go, buy your shirt, rent your Ferarri, swim in the tidal pool and have a wonderful time!
Brought the shirt, swam in the tidal pool, ran up and down that beach thinking I was TM but had my wallet lost/stolen so couldn't hire the ferrari 308 gts I found at a rental.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Braddah Kimo »

dayum! Sorry to hear that!

St Max Kolbe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#12 Post by St Max Kolbe »

probably a blessing in disguise Braddah as the car was going to cost me $250 US which was close to $500 AUD with the exchange rate at the time. My wallet had about $30 and debit card with pin which I promptly cancelled so not much lost. A mate spared coin for the rest of the trip but I didnt want to ask for 500 big ones to hire a ferrari! Would have been nice to live the fantasy for a day though.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Good. ya didn't lose much at all.

My brother bought a ferarri. it's just sitting in his garage. he should rent it out! 200 a day rather than 200 an hour, he would be happy with that.

St Max Kolbe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#14 Post by St Max Kolbe »

Sounds like a good "braddah" to have.

sorry couldnt help myself.
St Damien of Molokai - Ora pro nobis!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by steveadl »

Another siting of the shirt in "Journey 2: Mysterious Island" filmed on Oahu. Red jungle bird shirt worn by the pilot Gabato.