Magnum, P.I. = Comforting

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Not just comforting, cerebrally comforting. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by Karrnut »

How strange, so different, yet so much alike.

I bought my Mera (Ferrari 308 Replica) two years ago, when I was told I had 3-5 years to live (it's called IPF), it was my "Bucket Car" it also helped that it was a ringer for Magnum's, I mean Robins car, and would supply a needed diversion. The really strange thing is I bought it from a total stranger in Texas (I live in Wisconsin) sight unseen. I drove down there and picked it up, and he told me HIS STORY: He was diagnosed with Cancer and bought the car as his Bucket Car! But he beat the odds and is cancer free! Stranger still, my IPT which is fast acting, has stalled for the last 2 years, leaving me fully functional and feeling pretty darn good! Call it the Magnum Effect, if you like, whatever it is I'm rolling with it and adding to my Magnum collection.
"Low rent knuckle busters." - Rick

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Coops »

Wow...just wow.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Coops wrote:Wow...just wow.
Yeah, that's what I thought!!!! Fantastic!!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by AmandaByNight »

wow, Karrnut! That's an amazing story! Good for you and I'm so glad you are feeling good!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Magnum T. »

AmandaByNight wrote:wow, Karrnut! That's an amazing story! Good for you and I'm so glad you are feeling good!
I quote that 100%!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by Karrnut »

Thank you, I know things could be a lot worse, I know I am truly blessed.

The frustrating thing is that they don't know what causes it, thereby its name Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, which of course means there is no treatment for it. My own "best guess" would be paint and fixitive sprays; my career was as a designer & illustrator, and my hobby was restoring old cars, not a good mix it would seem. This was made more evident when talking to people in my PT class, and finding that about half were in some sort of auto body biz, and the rest were smokers. And No, I never smoked. There is also the suspicion that acid reflux could be a cause, but again, its all conjecture.
So, I function with 50% of my lung capacity, the good news is...you can, you just retrain and pace yourself, I walked San Francisco last year, and Disney World this year, and I'm shooting for Hawaii next year!

IF, there's a lesson here it's "don't put things off for tomorrow, it will be there, you might not."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

What a wonderfully inspirational story Karrut! Congrats! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Amazing story Karrnut! Keep kicking ass and doing what you've always wanted to.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Karrnut
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by Karrnut »

Thanks Guys.
Funny thing is that you don't really make BIG changes, I haven't left my family to take an around the world trip, or taken up formula 1 racing. It's small "adjustments" like not getting upset about stupid stuff (which is just about everything), I can, think, do and say whatever I feel like, and I do. The only limits are the same we all have: family, funds and responsibility, I just don't let them dictate my "life pattern" or get weighed down by them. Carpe Diem.