Does Higgins ever break the 4th wall?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Does Higgins ever break the 4th wall?

#1 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Hi guys!

I was reading on another site about the show yesterday and its says Higgins breaks the fourth wall, but they don't cite any specifics. I don't remember this ever happening. I am thinking the only character besides Thomas to break the wall is TC who does it once(can't remember the specific ep right now, but I'm pretty sure it happens). Does Higgins ever break the wall and if he does which episode?

Thanks!

burny
Commander

#2 Post by burny »

something deeply recessed in my brain tells me he does....going to think about more. i am also re-watching from the beginning (again) so i am going to watch for it. "my little voice" tells me its later in the series and its out on the lawn of the estate.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins tears down the fourth wall in "Never Again ... Never Again" and "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii". I'm pretty sure he does it once or twice more, but unfortunately I havn't documented those yet.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

John.1962
Commander

I think Higgins does break the 4th wall

#4 Post by John.1962 »

In the episode Never Again...Never Again (1.7) I think he looks at the camera. Check out my Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QgnYwf-zM) at the 1:29 mark

Also in the episode The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii he does. Look at the 1:45 mark in my video.

Oops! JJ Walters posted right before the same info!

John

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Thanks, maybe I'll make it my project to count 4th wall breaks on my next run through the series.

Kifaru
Lieutenant

#6 Post by Kifaru »

He breaks the fourth wall in "China Doll"

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Majordomo »

I think the breaking of the 4th wall is one of the assets to the show that helped to make it feel like me and Magnum had this personal relationship.

:shock:

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Majordomo wrote:I think the breaking of the 4th wall is one of the assets to the show that helped to make it feel like me and Magnum had this personal relationship.

:shock:
Yes I agree. The 4th wall breaks and TM's narration made the viewers feel like they were one of the gang. Maybe even closer than Rick, TC, or Higgy--they didn't get to read his mind. Well, sometimes they did.... reference "Home from the Sea." Ha!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by erock308 »

I think Rick is the only one of the four that does not break the fourth wall ever.
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by nha trang »

Higgins breaks the 4th wall in Legend of the lost art.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Great Youtube !

#11 Post by N1095A »

"But Higgins, I can explain."

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

This is great!!

I don't think Higgins looks at the camera in the first two clips (0:57 and 1:30... however, looking at the screen cap of that one, oddly his right eye does and the left one doesn't) and I am really not sure about 1:46.
I have the feeling that he really has a problem looking straight at it, having been instructed all his life not to, that I think to compromise he looks at the rim of the lens.

57 secs

1:30

1:46