What kind of wristwatch did Higgins wear?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Majestyk
Ensign

What kind of wristwatch did Higgins wear?

#1 Post by Majestyk »

Higgins wore a very unfashionable watch for his character, IMO. I'm watching S5 right now and he's still wearing it. I'm not sure if he wore it to the end or not.

This I know:

- It was an LCD Digital
- It was from the late 70's, not the 80's. (It was too bulky for the 80's)

Has anyone ever heard what it was?

Thanks!

M

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

Sorry Majestyk,I can't help you but welcome to the board.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#3 Post by N1095A »

I compared the screen caps to these photos. Note the size and color of the face, the shape of the case (especially the angle from the face down to the band), what looked like a winding crown (Kind of odd for a digital), and the band is identical.
This is it, I'm sure of it
As for it being unfashonable, consider this. Back in those days digital watches were all the rage. They were considered more accurate than mechanical watches (and often were), and with more and more features they really were cutting edge. As a kid I remember being awed by the digitals with stop watches, alarms, hour chimes, etc. While it may not have the bling value of say a Rolex GMT, it was a moderately high end watch most likely selling for a couple of hundred bucks. I think this was a good choice for Higgins. He wasn't rich, he was very practical and led a life of detailed order.
Last edited by N1095A on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:10 am, edited 10 times in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sorry I can't help out with it either. Maybe it was just some run of the mill watch from the time. I am surprised Higgins wouldn't have gone for something more sophisticated.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by perfectlykevin »

I've never been able to see what kind of digital it was but I imagine it was a Seiko digitial since they often came with a SS band. The one in the photo above looks about dead on though.

I've always thought Higgins would have been wearing some type of military watch, such as any issued by the British military during his time of service. I can see why he'd wear a multi-function digital (alarm etc) but it doesn't really suite him style-wise or his "Major-domo" image. Probably just what he wore off screen though and no-one really thought to ask him to wear another watch???

Kev

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Good find N! I've always wondered what kind of watch he wore. This watch is called a "Seiko Quartz LC"? There seems to be many different types with that name.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#7 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:Good find N! I've always wondered what kind of watch he wore. This watch is called a "Seiko Quartz LC"? There seems to be many different types with that name.
Thanks James, The LC stands of course, for liquid crystal, which I assume appeared on all the digital Seikos of the time.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

Anyone know where there's a good shot of the watch in the show? It'd be nice to have a screenshot for comparison.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's gonna be tough to find a closeup shot of Higgins' watch. This is the best I have so far....

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Without having all screencaps available, just from my memory, I'd say, that Higgie wore several different Digital watches over the 8 seasons.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by perfectlykevin »

I know this is a somewhat older topic but I was trying to find the exact model of digital watch that Higgins wore. It seems the links to the pics are broken. Does anyone have these saved?

Thanks for any help and have a great day guys!

Kev

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's one...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just need to see the back side for a model number.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#14 Post by Mavrick »

wow that brings back memories I had one just like that when I was kid, I wish I could find it again but alas it gone forever
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by perfectlykevin »

J.J. Walters wrote:Here's one...

Thanks! I've been trying to get glimpses of the watch and noticed the one in the pilot has two buttons on the face and the one on the side. Also looks like the links of the bracelet are soilver and black. That's for the pilot, but like someone else has said I think he went through a couple of different yet similar watches. As a Seiko collector, I'm pretty sure most were the Seiko brand. :)

Kev