Did the series turn for you too?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by lutherhgillis »

HB,

Great opening topic. We will expect more of the same from you... :wink:

I had another thought about your question. When I was watching the show during its original run, I was 18 and progressed to 26 by the shows end. I sort of grew up with TM as he grew up during the show's seasons. I did not really see a 'turning' so to speak at that time.

When I began watching MPI in syndication is when I noticed a turning. Given that a show is very open and vulnerable once on DVD, I would say MPI holds up very well. We can watch and rewatch episodes spotting problems with continuity and technical flaws. I think MPI did a pretty good job of staying clean.

I know it never jumped and I am proud of that. It wobbled and did some crazy things but who hasn't? Thanks again for the great post! Welcome.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Jaybird
Admiral

#17 Post by Jaybird »

Higgy_baby,

Great analogy! MPI went out on top just like Elway or Barry Sanders or Sandy Koufax. He left with us begging for more but, when he left it was with his daughter, a new life, reborn as a Naval officer (with the demons in his life put to rest) and to complete his career and who knows what else! Does he marry and who? Does he make admiral? More kids? What about TC. Damn sure he's a grandpa by now. Is Higgins Robin Masters? That's why I want a two hour, made for TV special with the entire crew back at the estate with spouses, kids, maybe Ivan makes his comeback??? I want to see them again after 20 years. The lads will have to be replaced however....may they rest in peace.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#18 Post by Higgy_baby »

lutherhgillis wrote:
...When I was watching the show during its original run, I was 18 and progressed to 26 by the shows end...
Luther, you and I are precisely the same age. Has anyone done a fan age demographics poll on this site?

I didn't watch the first run series until about season 6. I don't think I made the time to sit through a full episode prior to that. Once I did, I loved it. It's only after syndication that I got into the old episodes and found them better than what hooked me in the first place.

It's rather ironic, considering the nature of my post and proof that it didn't jump the shark. I got addicted on the very episodes that were later my least favourite.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by lutherhgillis »

HB,

I my town, there was a huge buzz about MPI. It was a cool show with adventure, humor, friendship, and irreverancy. Also, the new version of the theme song made for a huge buzz. Everyone in town watched the show.

Another thing about MPI. The weather is awful in my hometown in the winter. Every Thursday night, I took a quick trip to Hawaii !

I'm not sure about demographics. I do know that people who are not old enough to remember the first run still seems to love the show. That speaks volumes.

Welcome aboard.

Luther
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

grundle
Admiral

#20 Post by grundle »

Because season 7 had "Little Girl Who," "Paper War," and "Limbo," and season 8 had "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" and "Unfinished Business," I wouldn't say that the series "jump the shark."

However, that being said, if I was to make a list of my 40 favorite episodes, those five episodes, plus "Echoes of the Mind" and "Mac's Back," both from season 5, would be the only 7 episodes from the last 4 seasons on my top 40 list. So overall, I consider the first 4 seasons to be far superior to the last 4.

As it stand right now, I have the first 4 seasons on DVD, but not the last 4. And since "Echoes of the Mind" and "Mac's Back" from season 5 are bonus episodes on the first 4 season DVD sets, I'm only missing 5 of my 40 favorite episodes. I may someday buy seasons 7 and 8 to get those 5 episodes, but I'm not sure.

I have nothing good to say about season 6.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#21 Post by SelleckLover »

Here is proof that Magnum never "Jumped the Shark"...observe #14 on the list!
http://www.cinemathreads.com/other-cool ... shark.html

Nifty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by Nifty »

I was 15 when Magun aired. I watched most of the first 3 seasons and then maybe a half dozen episodes since. That includes when it was on TV and then syndicated.

So when the DVDs were rolling out, it was really new to me. I picked up at season 1, then got season 2, refreshed, and so forth. I didn't go looking for any spoilers either, so I had no idea how the original series really ended.

Talk about a flashback. It's just as good or better the second time around.

An no, I didn't see that it "turned". There are a few episodes I didn't care for, but they were not unbearable.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by Higgy_baby »

grundle wrote:...I wouldn't say that the series "jump the shark."...So overall, I consider the first 4 seasons to be far superior to the last 4.....I have nothing good to say about season 6.
Grundle sums it up nicely. This is the essence of my original point that the series 'turned' for me, while remaining watchable to the end.

From re-reading this thread, none of us think the show jumped the shark. However, I think a minority of us feel an attempted leap at the shark (my feeble attempt to label the phenomenon) was made, changing the show somewhat from the carefree, gritty and witty early years.

A small example of this for me comes from Higgins. In the early years you see him laughing more and getting pure pleasure out of Magnum's misfortunes. I prefer this, but still enjoy the later Higgins who is more dry.

At the end of the day, I understand that it is virtually impossible to not evolve. Things change.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

Henry Lewis
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#24 Post by Henry Lewis »

Seasons one and two are fantastic. The series peaked with "Did You See the Sunrise". Season three and four were good. After that the original vision for the show was lost and it became overproduced in an effort to make it "better and more mature". I think this is a common phenomenon for television and music. Most shows and bands are good for about five years.

MrMoustache
Commander

#25 Post by MrMoustache »

I wouldn't say that it has for me, each season IMHO has been a blend of no brainers, interesting episodes and character development. For some reason I don't mind that as much as I would the more familiar rythm of building the drama and development to eventually peak, decline and eventually try to win viewers back by adding a new character or other gimmick.