Magnum's tv set

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

only looking
Fleet Admiral

Magnum's tv set

#1 Post by only looking »

Anyone know what type of tv Magnum has in the guesthouse? My grandfather use to have the exact tv set in his living room, unfortunatley he died when I was 16 or 17 and no one in the family really remembers. I do know that in "Unfinished Business" watch the tv change models from when he walks over to the tv to put in the tape, once it starts playing it's a different tv all together...very noticable. I'd love to track one down and put in the spare bedroom and watch my Magnum episodes on it, would be awesome. I believe it's an RCA XL 100 model...though I cna't seem to find the year and over the years the models change. ANyone know or where I could go to look?
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Sam »

This is the best that I do for you.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BvWrBmOMSWM/S ... Magnum.jpg

also check "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and Resolutions part 2.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by only looking »

Thanks Sam for the info. I believe they have covered the name brand with tape like they did with the Hormel chilli,the redman chewing tobacco, and the Federal brand 45 acp ammo. It's hard to make out, but I believe I'm seeing a Xl 100 on the tv.Unfortunatly the link you posted came up in error. Isn't No more Mr. Nice guy the episode where Magnum and TC are throwing passes and TC slams into poor ole Higgins? Whatever episode that is..I always cringe for the little guy. :D

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

Only,

I also believe the TV is an RCA XL 100. The reason I believe this is the fact that it looks exacltly like the old TV I used back during the 80s. Best wishes on your quest!

Luther
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Sam »

Yep,that was the episode.I'll repost the link, it probably won't help other than the shape.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/200 ... t-and.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BvWrBmOMSWM/S ... Magnum.jpg

Also try a Google image search.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by only looking »

Thanks guys..I love this stuff :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've always wondered what kind of TV The Mag has.

Here are some screens of the TV that was used in the guesthouse set...

from "No More Mr. Nice Guy"

from "Unfinished Business"

In closeups, they used different TVs...

from "Solo Flight"

from "Unfinished Business"

Wow, I just looked through a lot of old TV pics... and I couldn't find one that matched the guesthouse set TV. Frustrating. I think you guys are right though - it does appear to say "XL 100" on the TV. There appears to be many different types of "XL 100", and each looks very different (like this one).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

I found old ads for the RCA XL-100 on ebay and it looks like Magnum's TV's model year is at least after 1975. Not groundbreaking I know, but it's something. And No More Mr. Nice Guy aired in January of 1984 so the latest it could probably be is a 1983 model. Was the RCA XL-100 used in the first season of the show?

The Solo Flight (7.16) set appears to be a Sony Trinitron. I've looked before but couldn't find a matching set on the web. Based on the few photos of old Trinitrons that I did find, I would guess Magnum's set is from the mid to early 70s. Here's a photo of a 1982 set (from this page). Positively space age compared to Magnum's. And here's a 1972 Trinitron (from this page). They seem to have covered the SONY that would have been just below the screen.

The TV seen in the kitchen in Little Girl Who (7.7) is a Panasonic CT-110MA. (Link 1, and 2.) The "Panasonic" was taped over above the far right knob.

The bedroom TV seen in Forty (7.17) is another, more recent Sony Trinitron. Notice the SONY has been left uncovered.

I'm surprised there that there doesn't seem to be a good place on the web covering all the model years of these TVs. Especially the Trinitrons. If I'm correct, those were most revered.

And that's three TVs in one little guest house, by the by. But they were probably owned by Mr. Masters. :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

rubber chicken wrote:The Solo Flight (7.16) set appears to be a Sony Trinitron. I've looked before but couldn't find a matching set on the web. Based on the few photos of old Trinitrons that I did find, I would guess Magnum's set is from the mid to early 70s.
Yup, this Sony is the one I grew up with as the family TV. I would guess the model to be around '74 or '75. That was back when Sony made a quality product. I think my mom pitched it only a few years ago and is WASN'T because it stopped working! When I think of the hours I logged in front of that boob tube, I find it amazing that I was able to watch it enjoyably more than 30 years later.

No idea about the RCA though.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#10 Post by golfmobile »

I HAD an RCA XL100 (19") until just a few months ago! I know I had it in 1979, probably about 1978 when I bought it. So it lasted quite a while. For a couple of years it sat out in the garage until finally Larry took it to the county dump just a few months ago. When I saw this thread yesterday, I got all excited, thinking I could go home and take a picture of MINE for you -- but, alas, it is gone. I had forgotten he finally took it to the dump.

So I never had a Ferrari or a Rolex watch or an estate in Hawaii -- but I had Magnum's TV and even watched him on it!!! As close as I'll come to "living the life" except for visits to to tidal pool.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by only looking »

Thanks guys, as always..a bunch of first ranked private investigators on this forum. 8) It's amazing how much info we can dig up so fast ain't it? It's funny I had forgotten about the other 2 smallet sets (Kitchen and bedroom) I remember seeing the bedroom tv in "Forty" and ""Memories are forever", but he kitchen one I only remember in "The little girl who", funny how the main living room tv changed so much, I also like how the beta machine went from being in the entertainment center (Hutch type) behind the couch to being on the tv set in "Unfinished business". I also have noticed the set guys defaced and put tape on everything. The football helmet (no more mr nice guy) has the name tag cleaned, I believe the helmet was an old Riddell, the football Magnum's throwing in the same episode early on has the name blacked out in what looks like a black marker. The horrors....LOL

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#12 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Only Looking you may want to check thrift/antique stores in you area. Who knows, one of the sets could turn up there.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by only looking »

Been looking there, even at yard sale. With this digital tv stuff, alot of people are just upgrading and hetting new tv's. Might check some pawn shops as well..maybe craig's list. I mean you can find ALOT OF THINGS :shock: on there. LOL Why not a tv? Have to track down the year for sure on the RCA Model first. Thanks for the info oce again.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by only looking »

rubber chicken wrote:I found old ads for the RCA XL-100 on ebay and it looks like Magnum's TV's model year is at least after 1975. Not groundbreaking I know, but it's something. And No More Mr. Nice Guy aired in January of 1984 so the latest it could probably be is a 1983 model. Was the RCA XL-100 used in the first season of the show?

The Solo Flight (7.16) set appears to be a Sony Trinitron. I've looked before but couldn't find a matching set on the web. Based on the few photos of old Trinitrons that I did find, I would guess Magnum's set is from the mid to early 70s. Here's a photo of a 1982 set (from this page). Positively space age compared to Magnum's. And here's a 1972 Trinitron (from this page). They seem to have covered the SONY that would have been just below the screen.

The TV seen in the kitchen in Little Girl Who (7.7) is a Panasonic CT-110MA. (Link 1, and 2.) The "Panasonic" was taped over above the far right knob.

The bedroom TV seen in Forty (7.17) is another, more recent Sony Trinitron. Notice the SONY has been left uncovered.

I'm surprised there that there doesn't seem to be a good place on the web covering all the model years of these TVs. Especially the Trinitrons. If I'm correct, those were most revered.

And that's three TVs in one little guest house, by the by. But they were probably owned by Mr. Masters. :)
Di you notice the salt and peper shakers also change from the far out scene where there's the news bulletin to the close up shot with the ballgame. LOL..more like Transformers!