The Motherload

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

The Motherload

#1 Post by Higgy_baby »

Who says you can't go back?

This Spring I bought Season 1 for 15 bucks (CDN) at HMV (Canadian store like f.y.e. in US). That was before I knew of this site. I was loving it so much that I went back for the other seasons. They were long gone.

Then I joined up here and read a post that Wal Mart also had sold these at the same low price. Again gone at every store I checked.

Well today I hit big. I had some business in St. Catharines (10 mins from Niagara Falls). I found seasons 1-6 all at the local Wal Mart. Bought em all. A whopping $14.83 each.

So for all my Canadian friends in the GTA or Niagara region, it's worth the drive. There are still a half dozen of each season from 2-6. Only one season 1 was left. This is also only about 15 mins from the Lewiston Bridge for all my Upstate New York fellow Magnum Maniacs.

I'm happy as a pig in 'you know what I'm thinking'.

PS. Here's the previous thread. Thank you beachbum for inspiring me to look at Wal-mart.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Last edited by Higgy_baby on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by only looking »

Congrat... :D Now you'll fall in the Magnum PI trap...endless hours watching a marathon and hinking .."OK, if I go to bed now, I'll get in 6 hours of slepp, then again..the episodes are only like 50min long so I could squeeze one more before I go to sleep." LOL ENJOY!!
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Higgy_baby »

only looking wrote:Congrat... :D Now you'll fall in the Magnum PI trap...endless hours watching a marathon and hinking .."OK, if I go to bed now, I'll get in 6 hours of slepp, then again..the episodes are only like 50min long so I could squeeze one more before I go to sleep." LOL ENJOY!!
I know what you mean. Up to now I've neen able to pace myself with season one; almost 3 months and only on episode 16. Now I don't know if I can show restraint......the horror, the horror!
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

Carmen
MPI

#4 Post by Carmen »

yeah, it`s so good to have them all!! Just yesterday afternoon I told my 2 little children to play outside, cause I have to iron and my 16 year old looked at me and asked "which season?" :lol:
(I did the ironing, too - honest :P )
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

That's annoying. I was back in Toronto last month looking for MPI dvds at Walmart after reading about the low prices here (I have seasons 1-4 and paid over 50 bucks each for them). No joy though. I should ask my cousin in Niagra to go buy 'em for me, but word might get around the family that I'm a bit obsessive. :D I'll be back at Christmas...maybe I'll have better luck then.
Carmen wrote:yeah, it`s so good to have them all!! Just yesterday afternoon I told my 2 little children to play outside, cause I have to iron and my 16 year old looked at me and asked "which season?" :lol:
(I did the ironing, too - honest :P )

That's funny Carmen, my Sunday evening ritual is ironing my shirts with an episode or two of MPI.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Congrats Higgy Baby! I thought I got them cheap at $22.

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#7 Post by Higgy_baby »

Styles, are you a transplanted Canuck?

I'd risk exposure to your family in Niagara, because both WalMart and HMV do not seem to be restocking the series. Walmart's website only lists season 1. The store is in the south end at Welland and VanSickle St.

Somehow I think they may be burning off old stock and re-issuing the series with new packaging because of HMV and WalMart's pricing behaviour. I'd hate to think they are not re-issuing. On the other hand Cinemas still has most of the DVDs with season 1 at $69.99 and season 8 at $47.99. GO FIGURE?????

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Higgy_baby wrote:Styles, are you a transplanted Canuck?
Indeed. GO LEAFS GO!

Just doing the Euro thing for a while. :D

Maybe I'll take the plunge and give my cousin a call. Seems too good to pass up.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#9 Post by Italian Ice »

Wow Higgy Baby, HMV is usually quite pricey. $15 is a good deal. I saw it for like $45-$50 a few months ago. I guess they've lowered the prices to tell their merchandise. Good time to buy DVD's. I still have to download though..........
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

You call that "The Motherload"?

THIS is "The Motherload"....

;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#11 Post by Higgy_baby »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have to agree :shock:

James, did you actually build the Bridge on the River Kwai with matchsticks and then smash it like the bad guys did to Higgy, just so you'd have a cool prop?

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#12 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Higgy_baby wrote:Styles, are you a transplanted Canuck?

I'd risk exposure to your family in Niagara, because both WalMart and HMV do not seem to be restocking the series. Walmart's website only lists season 1. The store is in the south end at Welland and VanSickle St.

Somehow I think they may be burning off old stock and re-issuing the series with new packaging because of HMV and WalMart's pricing behaviour. I'd hate to think they are not re-issuing. On the other hand Cinemas still has most of the DVDs with season 1 at $69.99 and season 8 at $47.99. GO FIGURE?????
I wonder if they might be releasing a "Complete Series" sometime soon. Hopefully on single-sided disks.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgy_baby wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I have to agree :shock:

James, did you actually build the Bridge on the River Kwai with matchsticks and then smash it like the bad guys did to Higgy, just so you'd have a cool prop?
No, all those items are from the actual show. Well, all except Mr. Magnum G.I.!

One of our beloved forum members, golfmobile, had an opportunity to meet someone involved in the show, someone who has retained a lot of real life MPI artifacts.

You read the whole exciting saga here. The "Motherload" stuff starts on Page 4.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#14 Post by Higgy_baby »

Thanks for pointing that out James. What a great thread. I hadn't found it yet. Golf really did find the Magnum Eldorado.

Further update to the cheap DVDs. I found another Walmart in Hamilton with lots of seasons 1, 3, and 5. I asked to see the vendor inventory list to see if they even had stocked seasons 7 and 8. The list only showed the first 6 seasons. Anyone in the area can pm me for directions.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

James J. Walters wrote:
You read the whole exciting saga here. The "Motherload" stuff starts on Page 4.
I know this has probably been bugging golfmobile as much as it bugs me...but I just can't let it go anymore! Please know that I'm not trying to pick on anyone in particular, but the correct spelling is motherlode, of course referring to the term that gold miners used when they discovered a particularly large amount of gold in one spot in a gold mine. Whew! Now I can get a good night's sleep!! J/K! (You can thank me later golf!)

:D