Higgins Accent

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

Higgins Accent

#1 Post by Higgy_baby »

Higgin's fake English accent always worked OK for me, but then again we speak more like Americans here in Canada eh!

I've always wondered how his accent sounds to someone from England.

There are a few members on this site from the UK and possbily some ex Brits living in North America that could comment on how plausible Hillerman's accent is.

Is he convincing?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Interesting. I was going to post the same query several times, but never got around to it. So what's the consensus? I know Jay Firestorm is in the UK.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Did I hear my name? :lol:

His accent is pretty spot on for a an upper class Brit.

Most American TV shows seem to have all Brits either talking very "posh", or exaggeratedly Cockney. Both of which sound extremely fake; a mix of Canadian and Dutch or suchlike!

But John Hillerman's accent is very passable. Not commonly heard, at least not in my walk of life, but he definitely has the accent.

I remember when I was a MPI fan growing up and I found that Hillerman was actually from Texas - I was very surprised.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:I remember when I was a MPI fan growing up and I found that Hillerman was actually from Texas - I was very surprised.
Me too! To think Elmo Ziller is probably more like the real Hillerman accent is practically bizarre.

It takes a good actor to make you believe he's someone he's not. But even after knowing that Hillerman's a Texan I find it hard to believe he's not a Brit! Amazing.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by lutherhgillis »

I firs saw John as Higgins on MPI. I had no prior knowledge of him at the time (early 80s). I thought he was British. I feel like the texas accent is the 'performance' and the British accent is real. I know this is caused by my lack of knowledge in him prior to Magnum. It is similar to an actor being typecast because of his most identifying role.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Tralfaz
Admiral

#6 Post by Tralfaz »

I think I read that he once received a fan letter from a British Lord saying "You are a credit to the Crown" or something similar

T
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Lt Tanaka »

His English accent is spot on. Amazing how he kept it all the way through the series without ever slipping.

His Irish one though was typical Holloywood "Oirish".....an accent that doesn't actually exist on the island of Ireland by the way.

His Japanese stunk the place up though :wink:

The one thing that I remember about JH's accents is the first time I saw Elmo Ziller I though it was a dreadfully cliched version of a Texan accent. I didn't know at the time that was where he was actually from! I don't think I've ever seen him interviewed out of character. I wonder what he sounds like in real life.