Picture of actual Ferrari Driven by Tom Selleck

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

Picture of actual Ferrari Driven by Tom Selleck

#1 Post by SelleckLover »

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx

Click the above link to see one of the Ferrari's driven by Tom Selleck. Double click on the picture and there's a little narrative about it. It resides at Universal Studios in California at the moment. If it wasn't so hot here now, and so expensive to get in....I'd go and take a bunch of pictures of it!

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

That link only got me to the front page for the getty image site.

After entering my country (USA) and language, I got a general search page. Doing a search on the term "magnum pi ferrrari" got me to the image. (Just typing in "magnum ferrari" didn't work.)

But I'm glad you posted about this as I never would've thought to look for an image. I can't believe that car is still around after all these years, and Universal didn't get rid of it.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks for posting that SL. I was able to get to the image of the Ferrari by following Grapeshot's instructions. The Ferrari pictured appeared to have black interior. Did any of the Ferrari's driven in the actual episodes have black interior? :? I always thought the interior of the Ferrari(s) was tan. I guess it's always possible the car was reupholstered after 20+ years.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

eeyore
Admiral

#4 Post by eeyore »

Beautiful car! A friend of mine gave me a photo he took at a car show during the 80's. One of the Magnum PI Ferrari's was on display with a great poster of TM set up next to it. What's funny is that he was not really a Magnum fan at the time, but people were always approaching him telling him how much he resembled Selleck. He still does. It is uncanny to watch the shows and recognize how similar their mannerisms are as well. I tease him and tell him they must be illegitimate brothers. He is also an Aquarius, born in the Detriot area, 6'2", same build, eyes exact same greenish hazel, is into guns, cigars, red wine, the dimples in the cheeks and chin, wirey brown hair. Very similar political beliefs. He'd be embarressed if he knew I was describing him to strangers, but we're all friends here, right? :)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

I thought Larry Manetti owns (owned?) the Ferrari, according to his book. I got the feeling from what he wrote that he had the "original" one. I just checked his web page -- but didn't see any mention of it there. I think, if he still owns it, he should put a picture of it on his web page.

I don't recall ever seeing an episode with a Ferrari with the black interior -- so if this is the one really used in the show . . . . then I'd guess that the interior has been restored to the wrong color.

Just my guess.

glf
"Portside, buddy."

eeyore
Admiral

#6 Post by eeyore »

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in here, I thought three cars were used throughout the show (not at the same time) and that Larry owned one of them. That leaves 2 more out there. If you'd like email Larry. Google his website, he is very good about replying promptly. I've "talked" to him myself. For sure there were two cars used. In the first few seasons there was a rear view mirror only on the drivers side and in subsequent seasons, the car had rear view mirrors on both sides.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

Here's a direct link (copy and paste the entire line)
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/Search ... d=73854137

I'd guess that they would have had to have more than one Ferrari at any one time. Exotic cars aren't the most reliable and shooting schedules can't wait on broken down cars. Of course I don't know for sure how it was done, but that would mean that if there were three different Ferrari models used as the show progressed there would have been at least six "Magnum P.I. Ferraris" to be owned and shown at different places.

And who knows, maybe the green Ferrari driven by Robin's nephew in Summer School (6.13) was one of the alternates normally driven as a Magnum Ferrari and was repainted just for that episode.

Anyway, thanks for the link SelleckLover.

Waltstasz
Admiral

#8 Post by Waltstasz »

Thanks for the link, SelleckLover.

Rubber Chicken is right. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that there should have been multiple cars used for each model. I think most TV cars have at least one for driving/long shots and one for mounting cameras on for shots of the car occupants. There may also have been a tow car which may or may not have been actually drivable.

Mannetti did own one according to his book. He said that when he got it it was in pretty bad shape and he had get it fixed up. He also said that it was a very testy car and one time it broke down on the side of the interstate and somebody driving by yelled "Hey, Rick. Why don't you call TC to come give you a hand?" or something like that... :lol: I don't know if he still has it or not.
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

Tralfaz
Admiral

#9 Post by Tralfaz »

I think there are more....

One was apparently auctioned off not too long ago.

There is one supposedly in the UK

http://carsofthestars.com/

This indicates they were replaced seasonally...

http://www.classictvcars.com/308-ferrari.php
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#10 Post by N1095A »

I believe the '84 (final) one is on display at Universal Studios.
Officially there were 3. 1979 with one mirror, no rear spoiler, no hood (front) vent, and red vents behind the headlights. A '81, with two rectangular mirrors, spoiler above the rear window, black hood (front) vent, and black vents behind the headlights. Finally an '84 that looked just like the '81 except it had a red windshield frame instead of the previous black ones. I'm sure there were back ups, and stunt cars as well, but these were the main close-up cars.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Steve »

I was at a local car show about seven years ago where there was a gentleman from Minneapolis that had a 328 from the show on display. He had received documentation and a plaque from Ferrari of North America that it was indeed one of the vehicles used in the show and from what he told me, that the folks at Ferarri are sticklers on record keeping and which vehicles were actually used in the production.

Steve
Chicago

N1095A

#12 Post by N1095A »

Steve wrote:I was at a local car show about seven years ago where there was a gentleman from Minneapolis that had a 328 from the show on display. He had received documentation and a plaque from Ferrari of North America that it was indeed one of the vehicles used in the show and from what he told me, that the folks at Ferarri are sticklers on record keeping and which vehicles were actually used in the production.

Steve
Chicago
There were no 328s used in the series, only 308s.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

My misstake it was the Quatrovalve model so I assumed it was a 328, it was probably the 308. In anycase, he sure had some official looking documents. Supposedly you can give Ferrari of Noth America the VIN number and they can tell if it was used in the show.....

Steve
Chicago

N1095A

#14 Post by N1095A »

It's cool of Ferrari to provide this service. There is a 1985 308 GTS on Ebay now that the seller claims to be the "Original" car from the series. Problem is, they never used an '85, and the one they're selling is a Euro version with a different exhaust and front spoiler.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

N1095A wrote:It's cool of Ferrari to provide this service. There is a 1985 308 GTS on Ebay now that the seller claims to be the "Original" car from the series. Problem is, they never used an '85, and the one they're selling is a Euro version with a different exhaust and front spoiler.
The other problem with this is that the show first aired in December 1980. Obviously, there were no "1985" Ferrari's at that time. :wink:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)