What is the SINGLE worst episode of MPI?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

N1095A wrote:There are 4 or 5 that vie for this spot in my opinion. Any of these episodes could be called the worst by anyone, and I wouldn't disagree. The queation was the SINGLE worst, so for now I'll say "The Man From Marseilles". Jean-Claude Fornier just rubs me the wrong way.
I still stick by my statement that the worst episode of MPI is 1000 times better than anything on TV today.
Fringe? Burn Notice even?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#17 Post by Italian Ice »

Agatha? I Witness??? That's one of the best episodes ! I have to disagree with you on that one...

My pick would probably be Let Me Hear the Music. I just couldn't get into this one at all...
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#18 Post by N1095A »

Conch.
I've never seen Fringe, but I have seen Burn Notice. I've tried to get into it, I've wanted to like it, but It just isn't clicking with me.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Little Garwood »

ConchRepublican wrote:Hey Little Garwood . . .

Just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for your icon. excellent issue, of an excellent story, from and excellent series during an excellent run.

Think I liked the X-Man back around then??? :wink:
You have great taste! :wink:

I've recently revisited those stories after twenty-five years via the Marvel Masterworks series during this summertime nostalgia I've been into. The "Dark Phoenix" storyline is just as good as it was when I was obsessed with it back then. A beloved part of my childhood. I could go on and on about it... :oops:

Getting back to Magnum: Interesting to note that for a show that ran eight seasons (or seven and a half) that we can only pick perhaps six or so truly awful episodes. MPI was a quality program!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#20 Post by Agatha »

Pretty funny, Italian Ice. Let Me Hear the Music is one of my favorites!!

:lol:
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by lutherhgillis »

Someone mentioned Love For Sale Boat. I may just change my mind and vote for that instead of Great Hawaiian Adventure Co... It was also a bad one.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#22 Post by Italian Ice »

Aww come on, why does everybody hate Love For Sale Boat so much?
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

N1095A

#23 Post by N1095A »

Hey, How do you guys feel about "On The Fly"? Just wondering, I'm on the fence with this one.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I'm going through the series again, re-watching an episode each day, including some that I haven't seen for some years, so my list isn't complete, but two that do stick out thus far are:

Mixed Doubles (third season) - stupid plot, unlikable characters... just plain terrible.

Paradise Blues (fourth season) - just watched and reviewed this one yesterday. I know some dislike it, but I found it incredibly dull.

I'm just approaching the fifth season, and I do remember that the fifth and sixth season do contain some of my least favourite episodes...

Steve - I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like 'The Black Orchid'. Personally I found it quite boring, but at the same time, I can think of worse.

308GTS - I haven't seen it for some time, but I hated L.A. - easily the weakest of the show's feature-length / two-parters.

Lt Tanaka - I disagree about 'Faith and Begorrah'; yes there are sterotypes (but I can name a number of episodes with those), but personally I found it really good fun, and a good showcase of John Hillerman's acting.

Agatha - weird, 'cos I consider 'I Witness' a semi-classic, and really liked '...By It's Cover'

I'll add my thoughts on later 'weakest' episodes as I get to re-watching them.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#25 Post by Agatha »

This topic has me thinking about how much pressure the writers on a TV series are under. Look at how different our LEAST favorite episodes are. And we have other topics where we talk about our MOST favorites...which are also very different.

Writers certainly can't please "all of the people all of the time"...and yet they please enough people all of the time that the series goes on...and on...for EIGHT seasons! Pretty amazing, I think!

Because N1095A is right...except that The Man From Marseilles is one of my FAVORITE episodes! :wink: "...the worst episode of MPI IS 1000 times better than anything on TV today!!" In fact, IMHO...the worst episode of MPI was 1000 times better than most anything that was on TV then, too!

Fun...fun...fun!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by 308GTS »

I actually like The Love For Boat Sale, mainly because of the excellent Jeff Mckay. To me he was great as Mac or Jim Bonnick or whoever. A funny, warm and talented guy.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

N1095A

#27 Post by N1095A »

Agatha has a great point. MPI is universal. People have vastly different tastes, yet can all come together to enjoy the show. There's something to be said about that. How many of the current dreg on TV have something for everyone to enjoy?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MACattack »

The worst episodes were every single one that had Luther Gillis in them!
Tropical Madness was bloody awful, but the scene with the Sumo and the midget fighting with Magnum at the gas station was hilarious!
I just don't give a damn!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Frodoleader »

I don't know if I can pick a single worst episode. But I guess if I were to go thru the entire series again, watching them episode by episode, which one would I skip - probably the first Luther Gillis one. Maybe the Elmo Ziller Story would be a close second.
I really like them all, but admit some are weaker than others.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Carmen
MPI

#30 Post by Carmen »

'two birds...' for me, like I said in another thread before, it takes about 10 minutes to wacht this one, it simply hasn`t enough TS in it...
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)