Magnum PI given Hero Award at TV Land Awards

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#16 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Roger E. Mosley interview at the Red Carpet of the 2009 TV Land Award show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPOTMzoNRM

Man, is he looking good at 70, or what!
I love the quote, "yeah, they had some guy with initials too".

HA!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

TS did a great job with his speech. He did stumble a bit, but I think that came from thinking it up on the spot rather than having something prepared. Class move dedicating his award to veterans. You can tell it is something he feels strongly about. Disappointed Larry and Roger didn't speek, and I hated Matthew McConaughey. Until tonight I was indifferent toward him, but tonight he rubbed me the wrong way.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Steve »

I had to catch the replay. I got the sense that the poem by the Viet Nam veteran that TS read, and him talking on how the Smithsonian recognized the show as the first to positively portray those veterans had him choking back his emotions. I can't help but think he knew he was in a room of far left thinking, sometimes hypocritical fellow actors that stigmatize those that don't fall in line with their views. You know what they say about Hollywood, you are more accepted being a drug addict than a conservative (or even an independent as Tom is)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:TS did a great job with his speech. He did stumble a bit, but I think that came from thinking it up on the spot rather than having something prepared. Class move dedicating his award to veterans. You can tell it is something he feels strongly about. Disappointed Larry and Roger didn't speek, and I hated Matthew McConaughey. Until tonight I was indifferent toward him, but tonight he rubbed me the wrong way.
Actually, as much as I'm surprised that I'm saying it, I thought McConaughey did a pretty decent job of the induction (plus I was happy it was second up, as i'm catching the reprise of it and didn't feel like staying up till 1am EST!). He could have made a bunch of crass 80's jokes (although you could tell TS was a bit miffed on the mustache comments), but he actually made a presentation that showed some knowledge and insight to the show. It was pretty cool, if you noticed it, the pop that John Hillerman got.

Goes to show you, the peeps still love Higgy Baby!

Sellecks speech was spot on and it was nice that he tied it back to what the story was really about... Vietnam veterans. Now, I'm pretty much a spring chicken, but there's probably a lot of people who are younger than me who don't know about the unforgivable treatment of the brave soldiers who fought in Vietnam once they came home. It was one of my great irritations in HS History that every year we would start off with Columbus, go through great lengths on the Constitution, Revolutionary War, Civil War, Millard Fillmore's Land Grant of 1835 or some useless crap, gloss over WWI... mention WWII, and then add as an addendum "And Oh yeah, there was this thing in Vietnam"... then you would go on summer break and start all over again the next year.

:?

That being said, I'm glad he brought it up, because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

PS... Larry looked HAMMERED!

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

Re: Magnum PI given Hero Award at TV Land Awards

#20 Post by Rutledal »

layne wrote:(not sure about Larry's tie though!)
Sure you don't meen Roger?
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

maggiepoole
Captain

#21 Post by maggiepoole »

Did everyone see Tom bust-a-move at the end with Earth Wind and Fire? :wink:

There were some pics on yahoo:

Trying to reach my full snail potential.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#22 Post by Rutledal »

The look on Larry's face on that last picture is priceless :D
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Steve »

maggiepoole wrote:Did everyone see Tom bust-a-move at the end with Earth Wind and Fire? :wink:
Shoot, I missed it, now I wish I would have watched the entire show. Neil Patrick Harris was getting a bit too Ryan Seacrest for me and I had to change the channel after the Magnum, PI Heroes award........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, that was great! Leave it to TS to deflect the spotlight on MPI and focus on Veterans! Class act! Loved the poem he read!

Still, I wish he would have talked a little bit more about the show. I wish Larry and Roger would have had a chance to talk. I'm sure time contraints were tight, though. I thought M&M did a pretty good job. Did you hear the ovation that he got when he walked on stage? Huge. They showed a pan shot of the audience and all the women had this dazed look on their faces. Some were clearly seen saying, "wow". The guy has it all, that's for sure.

Watching TS do the "hand clap" dance to Earth, Wind & Fire's "December" was priceless! When the end credits started to roll, there was a brief shot of Larry and Roger up front gettin' down to the band, also. Larry did look a little tanked. It's all good. He was just having a good time. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A

For anyone who missed it...

#25 Post by N1095A »

Dang! I got tired of it just before EWF went on. Now I wish I'd stuck with it. Did anyone notice how many times through out the evening there were moustache references? Every time, the camera went to TS.
http://www.tvland.com/awards2009/allacc ... rpet.jhtml
Highlights, including MPI, and the EWF performance. Don't forget to check out the Red Carpet and back stage interviews. Roger is a pistol.
" Hey, he's still got the moustache, I think he can still do it on the big screen. What about you?" -Roger E. Mosley
Last edited by N1095A on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#26 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I've got this Tivoed and will be looking forward to it sometime this week!

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#27 Post by Italian Ice »

I forgot to watch this. But I also don't know if it was broadcasted up here. If anyone has a link or clip or something, please let me know.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#28 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, what a lovely moving poem he recited from memory...class act all the way!

N1095A

#29 Post by N1095A »

Italian Ice wrote:I forgot to watch this. But I also don't know if it was broadcasted up here. If anyone has a link or clip or something, please let me know.
http://www.tvland.com/awards2009/allacc ... rpet.jhtml

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#30 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mike always seems to have the link to everything! I bow to you sir!