Do you find it strange that ...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

VM02
Rear Admiral

#61 Post by VM02 »

He probably earned a fair bit of money while in the Navy. He may have a reasonably sized bank account. He did always seem to have money when he NEEDED it. Just not when TC or Rick wanted him to have it.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#62 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

VM02 wrote:He probably earned a fair bit of money while in the Navy. He may have a reasonably sized bank account. He did always seem to have money when he NEEDED it. Just not when TC or Rick wanted him to have it.
Another good point. He was an officer in the Navy and he was also getting combat pay. he had three tours in Nam and not many places to spend money. I am sure he saved a nice chunk away somewhere along the way.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#63 Post by grapeshot »

Actually, with careful shopping, you don't need a lot of money to have a nice, quality wardrobe. Even as a poor college student, I still owned a Bill Blass skirt, and a couple of pairs of high-end shoes. I had a quality winter wool coat, leather boots, and yes, I even managed to buy a prescription pair of Ray Ban Wayfarer sunglasses. If you consider that as long as your weight stays the same, and you have a good eye for quality, these items can last a long time, and over a period of a few years you could end up with a fairly decent wardrobe.

I'm not saying that Magnum did this. I'm only saying that it is possible. Of all the strange things about MPI (and I'm giggling over a lot of these), Magnum's wardrobe gives me the least concern. Frankly, I rather enjoyed seeing him in nice clothes. Also, both TC and Rick were quite dapper as well. Rick, in particular, had high end taste. Considering how scruffy most people nowadays are, it's a pleasure to see men who dress well.

Although, the sudden appearance of a three piece tweed suit in the first episode of season 6 (the one where he and Higgins go to England) did cause me to raise my eyebrows.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Steve »

He never seems to get "hat hair" despite throwing on his basesball hats in a tropical climate sometimes with his hair still wet.......

VM02
Rear Admiral

#65 Post by VM02 »

Prior to Deja Vu, I imagine that there was a "scene" between Higgins and TM in which Higgins described the appropriate dress while in England. He undoubtedly got Magnum to buy/wear it by threatening him with Ferrari, tennis court, Wine cellar et al privileges.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by lutherhgillis »

Do you find it strange that despite being shot, wrecked, beat up, and such that Magnum was apparently able to get and afford health insurance?

DYFIST despite countless speeding tickets, a number of wrecks, and considerable other damage to the Ferrari that Robin was able to get insurance for his 'guests'?

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#67 Post by Jodykmg365 »

Do you find it strange that Robin Masters was stupid enough to continue to buy new Ferraris each time the old own gets blown up or drove off a cliff? :roll:

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Lily »

Jodykmg365 wrote:Do you find it strange that Robin Masters was stupid enough to continue to buy new Ferraris each time the old own gets blown up or drove off a cliff? :roll:
Ah, but the insurance paid out! :)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#69 Post by IslandHopper »

lutherhgillis wrote:Do you find it strange that despite being shot, wrecked, beat up, and such that Magnum was apparently able to get and afford health insurance?
Good thing Magnum had VA benefits. However, it did seem that Magnum was always getting patched up by Doc Ibold, and I don't believe he worked for the VA. :?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#70 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Maybe Robin had a comprehensive plan for his employee's.

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by lutherhgillis »

DYFIST in Beauty Knows No Pain, Magnum competes in a triathalon :o !

Ok, he runs 8 miles a day. Great but that does not qualify someone as a triathlete. Somewhere in the background dialogue during the race, someone says "he has a chance to win this thing" :shock: . Give me a break. Triathletes train for years not days. I know we have to suspend disbelief but this is a little strange from me...

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by MPS »

Can someone refresh my memory? Was TM competing in The Ironman or just a regular triathlon? He seems like a possible strong finisher for the shorter (1500 m swim, 40 km bike, 10 km run), Olympic length version. I don't believe that he would win, but he might have a respectable time.

BTW, daughter number two, who competes in triathlons, just told me that she thinks the order of events in Beauty Knows No Pain was incorrect. She doesn't remember the episode that well, either. We both have to rewatch it.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by lutherhgillis »

In the epi he says 5 mile swim, 100 miles on the bicycle, and 26 mile foot race. That sounds like a full triathlon. I don't think running 8 mile per day would cut it.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#74 Post by Doc Ibold »

MPS wrote:Can someone refresh my memory? Was TM competing in The Ironman or just a regular triathlon? He seems like a possible strong finisher for the shorter (1500 m swim, 40 km bike, 10 km run), Olympic length version. I don't believe that he would win, but he might have a respectable time.

BTW, daughter number two, who competes in triathlons, just told me that she thinks the order of events in Beauty Knows No Pain was incorrect. She doesn't remember the episode that well, either. We both have to rewatch it.
Definitely was the IronMan, and I'd agree with your daughter that the order was wrong.

I think it goes Swim/Bike/Run, but this one it was Swim/Run/Bike...

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by lutherhgillis »

I guess Magnum had to be on a bike during the garden scene so he could reverse course to catch the bad guy.

Did anyone notice the contestants that finished the swim and ran to the start for the foot race who had completely dry hair!? There were two or three...