A question about Rick

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Lt. Cook
Commander

A question about Rick

#1 Post by Lt. Cook »

In the very early Magnums (maybe just "Don't eat the Snow...") Does Rick own the "Snow Palace"? And if so, was he involved in selling, arranging/ mediating, or just tacitly allowing sales of cocaine to take place in his establishment?

I've always wondered about this in light of TS's "I hate dealers" line. If so, how would he reconcile this with his friendship with Rick?

Any thoughts?

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Miss Q »

This point always bothered me.... I do beleive you are correct that he owned the club rather than managed it.... so he should have full control over his client base...

I think the writers just needed to give the guys plausable access to the bad element and they didnt think it all the way through (again)...

If he was only the manager then maybe the owner wanted them and their money there in the club....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I would think that controlling the "habits of clients" at a circa 1979-1980 discotheque would be very difficult to do. Even if he could kick all of the users out, would there be anybody left to come to the club?

Rick and club in the Pilot Movie is supposed to mirror Bogey and his club in Casablanca. Think about all the shady stuff that went down at that place!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Jodykmg365 »

Claims of ownership of anything on this show has always been really murky. Magnum always says...my car, my camera. Higgins says...my den, my cars. :lol:

dustindeed
Ensign

#5 Post by dustindeed »

i agree that having the snow palace in the pilot was just to establish rick's connections with shady people and/or it didn't test with audiences well so they didn't show the place again. if i'm not mistaken, the snow palace is only mentioned again in one episode...the one where the woman is killed on the beach and rick and t.c. pose as dealers. as for magnum being buddies with someone like that, ol' t.m. isn't exactly on the up-and-up all the time either.

what i find odd is that the king kamehameha club - if it is as exclusive as we're led to belive - would have someone like rick in such a high profile position.

Lt. Cook
Commander

#6 Post by Lt. Cook »

James you have a good point. Rick couldn't well post a policy of "No drug dealers" and expect to have a hip disco in the 1980's. It's not the same as being a dealer, but I imagine TM wouldn't be a big fan of the place. I suppose Rick would get his position at the KKC through his connection with Higgins, and would probably see it as a way to legitimize and add some class to how he makes a living.

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I have always liked Rick and never saw him as crooked. He is so naive, I just can't wrap my mind around him being any kind of a gangster. :lol:

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Lily »

Jodykmg365 wrote:I have always liked Rick and never saw him as crooked. He is so naive, I just can't wrap my mind around him being any kind of a gangster. :lol:
But I dont think Rick is squeaky clean. Reason being, he has that deep connection with Icepick, and regularly obtains information on shady characters for Magnum.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

I always viewed Rick as the guy who came from the other side of the tracks who had sketchy friends, but wouldn't let said sketchy friends interfere in the lives of his friends who were on the straight and narrow.

Magnum and TC knew Rick when he was their door-gunner and didn't have the Icepicks of the world around in Vietnam. So, while he was wheeling and dealing, I think TC and Magnum accepted him for what he was

I think Rick leads two lives, but does his best not to let them interconnect.

(Granted, there are occasions where Rick is trying to get inside dirt from Magnum or TC about the wager on some kids sporting game -aside, seems very weird, but whatever - end aside, but he never involves Magnum or TC directly with Icepick - they have to seek Icepick out themselves when they want to deal with him directly).

As for the Snow Palace scenario, I agree it was part of an experiment in the pilot to make Rick a bit edgier. TM and TCs hatred of drugs would surface later on in the show.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Lily »

Well said Doc!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Coops »

Doc Ibold wrote:I always viewed Rick as the guy who came from the other side of the tracks who had sketchy friends, but wouldn't let said sketchy friends interfere in the lives of his friends who were on the straight and narrow.

Magnum and TC knew Rick when he was their door-gunner and didn't have the Icepicks of the world around in Vietnam. So, while he was wheeling and dealing, I think TC and Magnum accepted him for what he was

I think Rick leads two lives, but does his best not to let them interconnect.

(Granted, there are occasions where Rick is trying to get inside dirt from Magnum or TC about the wager on some kids sporting game -aside, seems very weird, but whatever - end aside, but he never involves Magnum or TC directly with Icepick - they have to seek Icepick out themselves when they want to deal with him directly).

As for the Snow Palace scenario, I agree it was part of an experiment in the pilot to make Rick a bit edgier. TM and TCs hatred of drugs would surface later on in the show.
Perfectly stated. Well done!