What ever happened to Magnum's Saxophone?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

What ever happened to Magnum's Saxophone?

#1 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Does anyone on this forum know? I don't think the series ever mentioned where or how he learned to play the horn.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: What ever happened to Magnum's Saxophone?

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hawaii Winds wrote:Does anyone on this forum know? I don't think the series ever mentioned where or how he learned to play the horn.
Well, I don't know where it WENT past Season 4 (where it made its final appearance.... I think). But it was hinted that he learned to play in elementary school, I believe in the episode "Of Sound Mind"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

Doc Ibold wrote:Well, I don't know where it WENT past Season 4 (where it made its final appearance.... I think).
IIRC the saxophone makes an appearance in S6's "The Hotel Dick", but then I'm not sure, either!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Hawaii Winds wrote:Does anyone on this forum know? I don't think the series ever mentioned where or how he learned to play the horn.
Well, I don't know where it WENT past Season 4 (where it made its final appearance.... I think). But it was hinted that he learned to play in elementary school, I believe in the episode "Of Sound Mind"
TM plays his sax in "A Girl Named Sue" (8.7)...I think it's "Strangers in the Night", which is what he & Susan danced to in the vault in "Rembrandt's Girl"...and you can hear the lads howling in the background while he plays! :lol:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#5 Post by Doc Ibold »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
TM plays his sax in "A Girl Named Sue" (8.7)...I think it's "Strangers in the Night", which is what he & Susan danced to in the vault in "Rembrandt's Girl"...and you can hear the lads howling in the background while he plays! :lol:
Thanks guys.. Whelp, I was WAYYYYYY off on that one!

:oops:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

I wonder where it is now!
Does anyone know what type of sax (baritone?) it might be and the manufacturer? I didn't know that a Belgian named Adolphe SAX developed the saxophone in 1846.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

In “Forever In Time” (8.5) Magnum says, “l'll never forget the date. October 4, 1956. l was late to my fírst saxophone lesson.”

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:I wonder where it is now!
Hmmmm....I wonder if Dave Romas saw it during the afternoon he spent going through everything stored at “The Mill”…and if maybe that was one of the items they “donated” to him?

“And it all was (note, past tense) the private property of Universal Television. In order to protect the deniability of my hosts I cannot in public forums comment directly on the topic of what may or may not have been donated to me by studio personnel.” 8)

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#9 Post by Hawaii Winds »

KENJI wrote:I wonder where it is now!
Does anyone know what type of sax (baritone?) it might be and the manufacturer? I didn't know that a Belgian named Adolphe SAX developed the saxophone in 1846.

I'm positive it's an "Alto" sax, but it doesn't look like the standard Yamaha brand. Was wondering myself as I have had Yamaha's and Selmers.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Sam »

Just a guess but I'd bet the studio never owned it.They rented it from a local music store when needed.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:Just a guess but I'd bet the studio never owned it.They rented it from a local music store when needed.
Good point, Sam. Why would they purchase even a used sax for four episodes and probably less than ten minutes of total screen time.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#12 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Little Garwood wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Well, I don't know where it WENT past Season 4 (where it made its final appearance.... I think).
IIRC the saxophone makes an appearance in S6's "The Hotel Dick", but then I'm not sure, either!
The famed saxophone just made an appereance on "autumn warrior" on cozi tv

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#13 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Just saw "Paper Wars" and Thomas pulled out the Saxophone from his closet. It really did not look like the same sax that we saw in the previous seasons. I believe Paper Wars was from season six.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've always wanted to learn to play the sax. Probably not one of those instruments that's easy to pick up later in life.

Should just buy one and start learning scales.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#15 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:I've always wanted to learn to play the sax. Probably not one of those instruments that's easy to pick up later in life.

Should just buy one and start learning scales.
Let the rodent emasculations begin .....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04