Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Marco
Commander

Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

#1 Post by Marco »

Hi all!

You all will for sure know the name Rick Romer as he worked for several years as the Set Decorator on our beloved show and was also credited.

I am glad I can tell you that he liked the idea of starting a Blog about his work on the show and he has started, now.

Find his blog here: http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/

Many stories are to follow which I already know about from him and much much more we all do not know, yet.

Aloha!
Marco

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#2 Post by golfmobile »

Marco,

Cool! Thanks for pointing this blog out and for the link to it! I'm "following."

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very cool! Thanks for posting the link Marco! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Yes, thanks Marco.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Thanks Marco, and welcome to Magnum-Mania!

Sorry to see your Magnum site's been has been down for a while, I hope things get worked out for you.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

PhatCat
Admiral

#6 Post by PhatCat »

That's a great blog.

Thanks for the link Marco.

BTW, I really appreciated your site. It was a great resource. Welcome to MM.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

Great blog by Rick, I truly enjoyed the story about the Consignment Store and the owner. And I'll be darned if Rick doesn't have the same rare yellow parrot shirt that I have........

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

Thank you Marco for encouraging Mr. Romer to write about the show! I hope he knows about us here and that there are more than 3 people interested in reading what he has to say. :)

And if you're reading this Mr. Romer, thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experiences!

DarCA
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by DarCA »

Thanks for sharing the link and thanks for the blog - very interesting.
Last edited by DarCA on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maveriks
Commander

#10 Post by maveriks »

how!
Mark thanks for this blog!
everything that concerns magnum pi is interesting!
let alone if it is not interesting to those who arranged the environments during the various episodes!
thanks! :D

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MPS »

Thanks for posting the link to the blog! It's great fun reading it.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Rick has really made a lot of interesting posts so far (including behind-the-scenes pictures)! His insight into the show is invaluable!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#13 Post by N1095A »

Completely fascinating! A very rare inside glimpse into the making of the greatest television show of all time. Rick's stories and photos are an invaluable addition here and make for captivating reading. I would like read more on the guesthouse set. I always wondered how much they tried to make the inside set match up with the outside of the actual building, and if they purposely avoided shots where the large boat doors were. I would also love to see photos of the set. I wonder if the bedroom and bathroom were actually part of the main room, or if they were entirely different sets. Also, was the lanai was the real boat house, or a set. I could spend hours with this guy. Thanks so much Rick!
"But Higgins, I can explain."

eeyore
Admiral

#14 Post by eeyore »

N1095A' I share the same interest in the guesthouse but unfortunately Rick doesn't think he has photos. This whole estate has such significance architecturally and so little info out there. I only hope someday someone with knowledge will document it so it will not go to the grave with someone. I am really interested in that little boathouse myself, and how it functioned and if it was originally a boathouse or something else. From the shots of the lower level in Don Luis.... you can see it has a power panel and on what appears to be the north wall a vertical pipe going up into the ceiling which I assume is water. On the outside elevation of the building there is a plumbing ventstack coming out of the roof in the same relative location. So based on that and the Property Appraiser's website(which taxes this building aa a 1 bedroom 1 bath) I can guess there is water upstairs and therefore some sort of living quarters. Prob for a caretaker. I wonder if the utilties were added later or always there. I have not been able to find much published at all on the history of Hawaiian Residential Architecture. Prorbaly requires a trip to the Honolulu library! I am curious about the transition from the porch upstairs of the real boathouse into the set. I imagine there had to have been a platform built outside the door with porchlike details for those shots that catch glimpses "outside" i have noticed actors exiting left, so there was probably a stair case to the left that was used to access the platform.
Thanks for sharing your interest. If you have noticed details, I'd love to hear. If we put together all of our hypothisis we can come up with something! There is a wonderful coffetable book published which I own that documents famous TV show stage sets. I bought it with the hope that Magnum PI was in there, but sadly, no.
I can tell you from a very small and blurry thumbnail on Marco's old website, that the bedroom and living area were all one entity.
Nice talking to you!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Steve »

I'm enjoying the blogs, photos and background info as well. Thank you, Rick and I loved the story on The Anderson Estate, and questioning why she doesn't open it up to fans to help pay for repairs and upkeep........You are indeed, for better or for worse, one of us!!!!!